1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Going to Hurricane Ridge - Looking for interesting paved alternative to 101

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Gootch, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Gootch

Gootch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding with the Oly street riding group to Hurricane Ridge tomorrow. I find the stretch from the 101/104 intersection to Sequim and Port Angeles to be virtually intolerable. Is there a paved road that runs from the Quilcene-Eaglemount area to the Sequim-Port Angeles area? (I know there are dirt roads but some of the guys are pavement only.) I'd appreciate any info someone can provide. (I will ask DammitDave.)

By the way, as in previous months, folks here are welcome to join our monthly ride. We are meeting at Bayview Thriftway in Olympia at 9 for a 9:30 departure. In the past, the occasional Advrider has joined us and - I think - had a reasonably good time. (I used to post these rides in the South Sound thread but I guess I have slacked off for several months.)
  2. IndianJoe

IndianJoe Little Lebowski Achiever

Oddometer:
    According to the giant map on the wall at the Hoodsport visitor's center, (and the cranky old lady at the counter)
    there are no roads the traverse the Olympic Nat. Forest.
    It's a shame that the cool part of 101 along the canal is bracketed by such torturously dull approaches, but what the fuck. It could be worse.
    You could be in Iowa...
    BobcatSig likes this.
  3. Gootch

Gootch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chicken Coop Road gave us a little break (thanks for the tip DD). The way back to Oly included some good stuff out Holly Road - Gold Creek Road way. But yea, 101 to Sequim is pretty much a slog.
  4. Gootch

Gootch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't take many photos when I ride these days but I did get this one from a pullout as we headed in to downtown Port Angeles. It shows how nice the day was.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]
    Ride Now likes this.
  5. twinsig

twinsig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thread revival:
    Curious. What exactly is intolerable? Traffic?
  6. SmokeRing

SmokeRing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hwy 101 is no problem at all. It's probably the least interesting section of a loop around the Olympics, but it's still pretty good. I ride Port Angeles - Seattle for a visit about every 2 weeks. Sometimes there's no traffic, but even when it's a solid slug of cars it moves along like a train at 50-65 mph. If it's clear you'll have a view of the Olympics and the Strait at times, but sometimes you've got nothing but a wall of trees (or clearcuts) along the road. I consider Hwy 104/101 to be the best and safest motorcycle route out of Seattle.
  7. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer

Oddometer:
    Nooooo, don't go to Hurricane Ridge :eekers

I hear they have killer goats there.
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  8. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:
    It's the kind of road, rolling hills and gentle curves, that would be really fun at around 90. Except you can't see squat because there are trees everywhere In most places there is a ditch on both sides of the road, screw up and you might jump the ditch before hitting a tree. So speeds are naturally slow. And there's only one road, so everybody is on it at the same time.
    rg sw wa. likes this.