1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Going to Newfoundland/Labrador Best time??

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by huvrluvr, Mar 17, 2003.

1. huvrluvr

huvrluvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have read the trip reports and other than doing something with the piss poor lights on the GSA, I am ready to go. Taking into consideration the roads, weather and my dislike for black flys and motorhomes, what is the best time period to travel? I plan to ride through Nova Scotia then on to Newfoundland and a :slurp or two in St. Johns. Then I plan to take the 36 hour ferry to Goose Bay to start the dirt loop.

:ear :ear
  2. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    I was on the island of Newfoundland last August 7th through 14th. The weather was excellent for riding. It was very cool in the northern area of St. Anthony and moderate in the southern part of the island called the Irish Loop or Avalon Peninsula. There were no black fly/ mosquitos except just north of Gros Morne Park.
    Do not ride at night as the moose population is incredible. 500,000 people and same amount of moose. If you cross into Labrador from northern peninsula of Newf. you can go all the way to Cartwright, Labrador on a nice new gravel road that just opened last fall. I have heard that it is very nice and viewed some pictures of it on the web somewhere. Should be able to get a ferry from there to Goose Bay. Newfoundland is huge and takes a lot of time to see all the good stuff. I would suggest a visit to the Cape Race light house, a very memorable part of my trip. It was the only land based radio to receive a distess signal from the Titanic. Great visitors center and cool as hell dual sport road to get out there. Newfoundland and it's people are a very pleasant experience. I love the place.
    DirtDOG
  3. huvrluvr

huvrluvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks DirtDog, I have been to Newf twice on a moose, caribou and bear hunts...and your right, the place and people are fantastic! I hope to learn that early June is an okay time to take this trip as thats what I'm planning at this time.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Hate to ruin your travel plans but that time of year sucks big time in Nfld. Count on rain, snow, rain and rain. I lived in Grand Falls, Buchans and St.John's for about 5 years. Summer starts on The Rock in late July- August.
    If you have a GS you can do the Trans Canada Trail from the ferry in Port Aux Basque pretty well all the way to St. John's. It uses the old rail bed. There is also an old mining road from Corner Brook to Buchans if you are really adventurous.
    My Honey and I rode back 4 years ago to get married and had a great time there. We did 20,000kms in 6 weeks on two bikes. I can't wait to do it again. Ride back I mean!
    Go anyway. Just bring lots of warm clothes and drink lots of rum
    :1drink
  5. Rusty_H

Rusty_H no title needed

Oddometer:
    "Hate to ruin your travel plans but that time of year sucks big time in Nfld. Count on rain, snow, rain and rain"

Hey Deuce,
    I use to work in St. Johns, and I found out that it will Rain, get sunny, snow hard, then get sunny again then get real windy and cold and then end with a light drizzle.... all in one day, get up the next morning and do it all over again..

I think anytime this poor sap goes up there he will encounter GREAT weather and SHITTY weather:rofl :rofl
  6. huvrluvr

huvrluvr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well okay, so I'll just have to take my spring trip to some other venue and go to the Rock later in the summer. Thanks for the input.
  7. tuffbmw

tuffbmw secondary road explorer

Oddometer:
  8. Different Drummer

Different Drummer On The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    The rock is a great place. Last time up it was August 2001 and the weather was very mild. Warm in fact for the Rock.
    Am going up next week to see about purchasing a home. I have friends in the Cape Freels area. Do not overlook that area of the Rock. Bonavista, Fogo Island etc.
    Hope to do the ride this summer and return via Labrador.
    Ride safe.
    DD
  9. Different Drummer

Different Drummer On The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    Forgot!!
    Ditto on the clothes and weather. The Rock is the only place in the world where you can experience all four seasons in a twenty four hour period.
    Don't worry about the Rum. The locals will be glad to "Screech You In"
    Prepare to kiss the Cod fish. Don't worry, after plenty of Screech, its a piece of cake!
    Have fun.
    If I buy the place, and am there this summer, ( I will be if I buy it) I will post the location. It would be fun the meet as many Adv. travelers as possible.
    DD
    C.Hensley likes this.
  10. YRU

YRU Hear today, deaf tomorrow Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of riding up there in November. Would you advise against it because of the weather? I have a heated jacket and gloves, plus an Aeostich suit.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    A little late. But did you buy the place.

12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Well done on waking this thread.

November. No. Why then?

Most days will be single digits and close to freezing at night. Could be snow.

Wait a month and bring a snowmobile.