Going to see Mista Bojangles... - Great route suggestions?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by PASSMORE, Oct 7, 2004.

1. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    So I am heading out of Sacramento going to see James in Santa Rosa... I am on a KTM 640, so I would like to avoid as much slab as possible! Any cool routes that anyone knows of? Does not have to be the fastest as I am taking the day for this trip and wouldn't mind enjoying some sights...

Follow up to this would be if anyone knows any cool routes from San Rafael back to Sacramento (picking up a Marsee Adv Jacket - tell ya later how it is...).

Thanks in advance!

Michael
  2. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know of any dirt but take 128 through Winters, Rutherford and Calistoga. From there, head West over to the 101. IT's paved but twisty and fun. :thumb
  3. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zilla - precisely what I was looking for. Dirt would be nice, but I will just have to find some enroute...

Any others folks?!?!?!?

Thanks again Zilla!

M
  4. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Passmore, you said you wanted to make a full day of it, well here's an idea. There is a ton of dirt riding just north of clear lake. It's Mendocino national forest and maybe some BLM land.You could blast up 5 to williams and then turn west on 20. Look on the map and you'll see plenty of dirt roads north/west you can make into a loop depending on how far you want to go. This is fun riding to explore. Whe you come out on the east side of the lake you can make a beeline for 101 and head south or continue south to calistoga on great twisties.

If you're just looking for some quick dirt to get in your fix, head up to arbuckle and take Sand Creek Rd over to hwy 16. I haven't done that one in years so I don't remember the turn off, but its a fun road and relatively quick. From there you can either wind over to calistoga or up to clear lake and over.

However you go, have fun!
  5. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    Michael,
    Zillas suggestion is a good one take 128 - starting in Davis at Russell Rd and 113. A couple of options off 128 is just past Berryessa head North through Pope Valley/Angwin/Calistoga/MarkWestSpring to Santa Rosa (my choice) or at St Helena turn off 128 onto Spring Valley to Santa Rosa. All this is on the AAA Central Cal map. Have a good ride!
  6. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or.....The back way to Lower Lake. Spanish Flats, I think it's called. Then loop back South.