Going to the Dogs, chasing my tale through Labrador and Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MapMaster, Sep 28, 2014.

1. dresda

dresda shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer:
    ...cough... those are NOT Airedales. I do hope you are joking! THESE are two Airedales and a JRT mix here. Real dogs :D

[​IMG]

2. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    I Shih Tzu not! :rofl

:hide

Let's just say that the airdales misspelling was intentional, and totally appropriate for the location cited. :evil

Really cute googies in your picture.
  3. ProZac235

ProZac235 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Greg! Really enjoying the RR :lurk
  4. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics from NL.

Wow, two recent threads on NL riding.

That's my stompin grounds. Been there several times.

Many of the posted pics are very familiar to me. Fantastic scenery and fabulous people.
  5. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Thank you. The abundantly beautiful countryside is certainly doing a great job offsetting my meager camera skills. :D
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    8/24/14 - Deer Lake to Campbell's Creek - 102 miles

A relaxed pace for the day and not enough saddle time for a musical muse to speak to me.

I startled one of the other guests at the B&B in the morning when I walked out of the common room while he was sitting down to breakfast. The hostess (forgot her name) had pointed it out as an option if the sleeping arrangements in the small room we had didn't work out. So she didn't bat an eye at my appearance from the odd direction.

A good breakfast and pleasant conversation with a few other guests.

The wounded warrior:
    [​IMG]

The view of the lake from the Lakeview B&B wasn't all that impressive, but it was there:
    [​IMG]

They did had a lovely cabinet:
    [​IMG]

I rejected Tim's suggestion that I return the car and resume my trip while he would call a taxi to take him to the airport later (3:00 flight). I wanted to make sure he was good and gone, or at least delivered to airport limbo, before heading out. I assisted in getting some bags and packing his stuff for the flight and got him to the airport with plenty of time to spare.
    I didn't take a picture of the bike packed with tires and no camping gear yesterday (configuration #4), here's the 5th configuration of the trip, tires and Tim's loaner gear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was an uneventful afternoon ride to Len's. It was a beautiful day, but the past few nights were not the best sleep of the trip, so I didn't have much ambition for seeking side roads or taking many taking pictures, but the view along the south shore of the Port au Port peninsula demanded that the camera come out.

[​IMG]

Found Len's place with no problem and it was pleasure meeting the man behind the many emails and texts we had exchanged over the past couple of months.
    We just sat and bs'd for a good while - it was good to just chill for a bit.
    But I did stir to set up Tim's tent, wanted to learn how to that in pleasant conditions.
    The family dinner had been at noon, so I missed the initial serving of the Jigs dinner, but Len's mom provided a loaded plate of leftovers that were very tasty.
    In addition to the mandatory salt beef, this version included chicken, pork roast, turnip slices, pease pudding, corn, potatoes, cabbage, and a raisin dough-ball.
    As tempting as it was to just curl up and sleep for 10 hours after a meal like that, we actually got to work and gave the Tiger a new set of claws. I was very glad of Len's help and the task was completed without too much swearing. I think getting the tube nipples through the rim was the most difficult part. No pinched tubes this time around, whew!
    I had over 6600 miles on the old tires at this point and it looked like they'd be good for another thousand miles. At noted previously, they weren't going to get me home, but Len was going to hang on to them in case of a future rider in need.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Good on ya for getting Canuman out of the jam. Good karma got you the temporary sleeping arrangements.
    We were all trying to work out the ways to make it happen but you took the bull by the horns and got him where he needed to be.:clap
  8. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol

Both recent threads show the country store in Brigus that sells the blueberry crisp. If I recall correctly that store is operated by the wife of the local mayor. Been there more than once.

Have you tried any bakeapple (berries) yet?
  9. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    The Northwest B&B in Trepassey had bakeapple jam/preserves out for breakfast and I sampled it on a piece of toast. Very nice, but I was not enraptured by the discovery of a new ambrosia.

I had some bakeapple flavored coffee later in the trip, but like most attempts at flavoring coffee, I was not impressed. I want my coffee to be basic coffee, preferably Columbian, and not burnt n bitter ala Fourbucks. And life got simpler when I learned to enjoy it black and unsweetened.
    The exceptions to this rule are: Irish coffee, and coffee with Baileys and Brandy. :freaky

My palate is consistent in both directions, I don't like coffee flavored anything either. :D (Mocha flavoring is an abomination unto doG, and the ruination of both good coffee and chocolate).

And all of this prompts the following observation:
    What is the purpose of Kahlua flavored coffee creamer? :lol3
  10. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I would have helped Canuman out regardless, but after all the assistance I got when I had the tire trouble, paying forward was definitely on my mind.

However, karmic balance is a tricky business. Certainly Tim benefited, and Barbsironbutt (Canuman's ADV helpmate) was grateful (though I don't know why she wanted him back :lol3); and if they weren't relieved then, Merv and Mary Jo would have been glad to see him go soon enough. :evil

I just have to wonder if inflicting the NEK with the return of the Canuman would be regarded by the locals as a good thing. :deal

:hide

All of the above is very much tongue in cheek jesting with Tim, who I got to know well enough to kid him in this manner, with the full expectation that he will soon give much better than he got. :amazon

Besides, he's got a broken shoulder. I'm not worried about him kicking my arse anytime soon. :D
  11. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    SOD: "Seal Driver" - Jethro Tull

8/25/14 - Looped the Port au Port peninsula - 138 miles

I slept in until about 9 and was most appreciative of the guilty pleasure.
    Nice to do that in the abode of a guy who's chosen an anti-depressant drug as his user name, as opposed to somebody using a moniker like 'Metallica Rage'

The tire change yesterday revealed that the outer rear pad was abysmally thin, so when we finally got the kickstands up, Len and I started our ride by going into to Stephenville to see if I could get a fresh set and also some oil (a change of that primary fluid would be a good thing at this point). I had no luck with either of these objectives, but I did meet John, the owner of the Kawi dealership, and he offerred me anything in the store for my Tiger. I wasn't interested.

After exhausting the local options, Len led me on a great ride around the Port au Port Peninsula. So here's a slew of photos from an afternoon of great weather, outstanding vistas, and good companionship. (Alas, the problem with an idyllic ride is that no good stories based on unfortunate events arise from them):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this and a parallel strand washout, Len's living on a island:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Len's Locale:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where he swam as a lad (Ship Cove if I've kept my notes straight):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the next many are at Sheaves Cove
    [​IMG]

My tour guide:
    [​IMG]
    Of course, being a tour guide around here is pretty easy work, 5 kms from the last gob smacking scenic vista, 'oh look, here's another one'. ;)

I'm willing to take the distances at face value, but I refuse to believe that all of the listed destinations are aligned at 90 degree increments :cromag:
    [​IMG]

I chuckled at this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not feel an urge to make use of the facilities:
    [​IMG]

This was tough walking, especially in boots and the stich:
    [​IMG]

Len's travelling companion:
    [​IMG]

Cape St. George. I saw a seal in the water here, but it must not have happened since I didn't get a picture of it. Can you spell 'secluded':
    [​IMG]

My mother would spot the smiling face in this pic:
    [​IMG]

The "Boot":
    [​IMG]

Where we went to next:
    [​IMG]

After we got there:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top of the boot:
    [​IMG]

Where we were:
    [​IMG]

Time to move on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red Island:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Len said this was Blue Beach, the NL map dot is labeled Black Duck Brook:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With encouragement from Len, ('go ahead, you can make it!') I attempted to ride out to Long Point. It was a short trip (Len's pic):
    [​IMG]

After the extrication:
    [​IMG]

Winterhouse:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Len waiting for me to take another picture:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Find the boat:
    [​IMG]

Of course there had to be a dog! Meet CJ, Len and Maria's energetic ball of fur:
    [​IMG]

Winter heat for the neighbors:
    [​IMG]

and for Len:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when it's time to take a contemplation break at the home front - head for the trees...:
    [​IMG]

... and take a seat:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the day's riding was not quite done, time for a beer run. This is the other strand that keeps Port au Port attached to the main island:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It might be 'thee' place, but it wasn't 'the' place I needed to get back to:
    [​IMG]

The other potential Song of the Day was also a Tull tune, "Heavy Horses":
    [​IMG]

Len fixed tacos and then we chilled with CJ:
    [​IMG]

He's got that wascally wabbit:
    [​IMG]
  12. fastredbike

fastredbike back on the loose

Oddometer:
    Great RR. lots of true LOL moments for me as I went through and kudos on the pics - both quality and volume!:thumb

I bought the same bike in April, same color too - I was wondering how long it would take for the stepper-motor troubles to crop up for you on a dusty route like the TLH, not long as it turned out. One day in the dust did it for mine but luckily for me it was a well known issue by that time and I treated it quickly.

looking forward to more!
  13. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR. Looking to do this route next season. Best choice for tires???? Looking to do this two/up with gear on a Vstrom 650
  14. ProZac235

ProZac235 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greg you did very good at keeping your notes! Thanks for posting the pictures of our ride that day. I just had a few taken. Your photos and narration are awesome! Hope you don't mind me posting a couple pictures here.

Here's the owner of the local Kawi shop drooling over Greg's Tiger. I think Greg is gonna have a hard time getting his bike back!
    [​IMG]

Heading up to the top of the "Boot"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tiger sneaking up behind me on the wharf at Blue Beach
    [​IMG]

This is what he really thought of me when I told him to go first out to the point :rofl
    [​IMG]

The steeds back on sturdy ground
    [​IMG]
  15. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Not at all, but you left out the best one.
    Yeah, that one of me getting my ass kicked. :lol3
    Go ahead and post it
  16. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Glad you appreciate it.

Tire choice is such a highly personal subject. :shog
    It's been done on street rubber and full on knobbies, so there is no absolute "best" choice. Your desired type of riding and what's available for your bike are the determining factors. Find the intersection of those two variables. :deal (math r hard :D)
    The bike was new to me this year and all of my past riding history has been street bikes, so I had no personal experience to draw on. I was happy with the Fullbores M40/M41 combo going out, and the Shinko 705s coming back did fine as well, though the rear seems to break loose in the rain more easily. I had too much pavement in the whole route to consider a 50/50 tire like TKCs.

Have a great trip.
  17. ProZac235

ProZac235 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

[​IMG]
  18. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:

The stepper-motor issue is not as well known as it should be. Len actually found some info about it being the likely source of my problem while I was visiting him, but I didn't have time to find definitive information about it until I got back from the trip.
    The local Triumph shop here wasn't aware of it and couldn't find the service bulletin about it when I told them of the issue. It needs to get put onto the maintenance schedule.

Glad you like the report, I'll get cracking on the next installment now.
  19. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    8/26/14 - Campbells Creek - Burgeo - Corner Brook and back - 343 miles
    An early start today, Len and I started out together, but he was going south on TCH 1 to meet his wife Maria who had been on a solo ride to PEI to visit friends and was due in on the Port au Basque ferry this morning.
    We hit the Timmys in Stephanville, coffee and a frosted cinnamon roll fueled me for the morning.

My plan was to do the Red Indian Lake loop and then go down to Burgeo.
    It was looking pretty grey to the north when I reached the junction of the Buchans Resource road, so I opted to keep going south to Burgeo first and try the loop on the return leg.

[​IMG]

The ride down was fine, one moose on the loose and the transition to barrens country as the coast neared was impressive. Nothing good came out of the camera though for this area.

I poked my head into the Sandbanks Provincial Park and then looped through the town and out to the ferry dock where I saw the Oregon couple's bike. They must have been out at one of the other south coast outports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burgeo was another nice outport. I was in mounted tourist mode for the day, the knees are getting creakier as the years go on, so I don't do much hiking anymore and no museums or exhibits caught my fancy.

The Fishmarket was colorful:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spot the bike:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As intended, I made the turn for the Red Indian Lake loop on the way back, but the bike's stalling issue was in full force today and I found the road too cratered and variable to try with an engine that would quit whenever I pulled the clutch in - another time.

[​IMG]

Instead I went on to Corner Brook and was successful in getting oil, but had no luck on brake pads there either.
    It was hot in Corner Brook, but delightful along the coast as I headed back to Len's.

Gassing up in Stephenville, I encountered some authentic Newfoundland gibberish.
    I could barely understand one word in ten from the simple and friendly soul who started talking at me as I enjoyed an ice cream sandwich. The contrast to the accents I had been hearing was pretty dramatic. I had actually been surprised at the clarity of speech from all of the other Newfoundlanders I met on the trip. Local accents in Labrador were more pronounced and I had to pay closer attention more often there. This is not meant to be patronizing. I regularly quip that I'm bilingual, I speak American and British English, but when I was in England, it was certainly a challenge to understand some of the heavier regional accents. I was the visitor, so I had no airs about me and just went with the flow as best I could. Except for this one gentleman, it was never an issue on the Rock and that kind of surprised me.

I think I grabbed a picture of the coast view on the road to Campbells Creek every time I went west on it.
    [​IMG]

Met Maria when I finished for the day as she and Len were heading out to to see some friends visiting from Ontario. I started the oil change, calmed CJ down, ate a couple of burgers they had cooked up, sat on the bluff bench and enjoyed the view.

Just another day in Paradise.
    [​IMG]

Tide's in:
    [​IMG]
  20. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    SOD (another 2-fer): "Ride Like The Wind" - Christopher Cross
    "Dust in The Wind" - Kansas

8/27/14 - Cambells Creek - Gros Morne - Hawke's Bay - 300 miles.

Dust in the Wind by Kansas was the other prominent tune for the day, but while there was wind a plenty, rain eliminated any need for a western themed saloon and a shot of rot gut rye whiskey to cut the dust of the trail at the end of the day.

While the end of the trip was far from nigh, I regarded today as the turn-around point. It was time put the Tiger on the return route. With the tire issue on the way out in mind, prudence called for allowing an extra day on the return for contingency considerations.

A little Frost from the poetry corner:
    The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Up at 6 packed and rolling at 7, to Timmy's again for caffiene and sugar.
    Last picture of the shore looking back to Campbell's Creek:
    [​IMG]

Len was along again for the run up to Gros Morne (we couldn't entice Maria into calling off from work today) which we did directly with only a brief stop to don rain gear when it started spitting, but serious precipitation held off and we rode out to Trout River, stopping for cruise ship pictures and misty images of Bonne Bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would end up with several more images of it in various locations as it shifted around Bonne Bay through the day.

[​IMG]

This vista point of the Tablelands area on the way to Trout River reminded me of the Cialis ads:
    [​IMG]

We stopped at a trail head coming back from Trout river and said our goodbyes. Len boogied on and I checked out the info signs.

[​IMG]

When I pulled out the heavens finally opened up and when I stopped at the Discovery Center, I dribbled my way in.
    [​IMG]

I was a little disappointed in the displays there. I found information about the native and non-native fauna interesting, but resented having to turn the fricking big wheel to line the clear pie slice up with the article about each critter. "Interactive" and "multi-media" are words I dread when it comes to information displays. Give me good pictures and clear text, and don't make me jump through hoops, I'm not a trained seal. (grumble, grumble, grumble - okay I feel better now, curmudgeon mode off)
    I knew that the moose were imported, but learned that hares and the red squirrels that had been bitching at me the whole time were 'from away' as well.

The stop allowed the rain to pass, so cool and overcast were the only environment conditions to contend with - no problemo.
    Saw a mink or weasel crossing the just after I left center - first time wildlife sightings will always make my day! (Mink most likely according to the staff at the park's northern visitor center when I stopped there later.)
    Photographers Lookout above Norris Point was also a stop - spectacular view of the bay! The Hendrix house located there was the home to 14 kids!

A very nice lady was manning the desk and dispensing coffee and providing tastes of the various jams and jellies for sale. I had samples of squashberry, rosehip and buckthone.

Views of Norris Point and Bonne Bay from Photographers Lookout:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source of the rosehip jelly:
    [​IMG]

Once I cleared the park, there was lots of wind and wave action along the shore. The wind was at my back quarter for the most part - very nice! But when it was directly on the beam - not fun.

Arches Provincial Park was the next stop and when I pulled in there were a few carloads of ladies dancing up a storm in the parking lot. Putting the fun in NewfunLAND.

[​IMG]

I thanked the tourists for providing a scale reference to my image:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packing Configuration #6 - Canuman's camp gear, no tires:
    [​IMG]

Took one more break just off the road:
    [​IMG]

And noticed the interesting cross-section of a log cut:
    [​IMG]

I hadn't eaten anything substantial all day, so when a restaurant appeared at Hawke's Bay, dinner time was declared. It was also the Torrent River Inn and I decided to cease further wheel rolling for the day at that point.