Going to the Dogs, chasing my tale through Labrador and Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MapMaster, Sep 28, 2014.

1. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    Awesome that the PT is underway! :clap
    (Yeah, being excited over the pain you're going to endure is a bit counter-intuitive, but the pay-off is well worth it.)
    COTU may be an overly ambitious aim point, but it's out there. The WV hills at the usual time: - May 15-17
    Let me know whenever you're ready for the first ride and I'll try to join you.
    uintamts likes this.
  2. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg, Just went back and reread your whole report, glad you kept chugging along with it, good job. Still amazed at the amount of ground you covered, definitely the way to get the feel of the place and the people. Couldn't help but think of the many queries I've seen on RTR that start something like this, " I'm coming up to ride the island, and have 4 days"..... At that point, I can hear the collective sigh of those fine folks, many of whom have dozens of seasons riding there and still haven't seen it all. Hadn't known it was you that got Tim to the airport. In September, I very nearly charged full speed into the same washout on Millertown Junction road that ate him, and ended up staying at the Red Ochre with Merve and Mary Jo, super nice people. May ride the TT this September, and look forward to your RR if you get up there earlier. Thanks again, John
  3. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Even if I manage to get there earlier, I doubt that the report will be out in time to serve as pre-trip briefing. :deal

However, the possibility of some real-time reportage of this year's hoped for trek exists.
    pm en route.
  4. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    A minor detail to clarify what will only be of interest to map geeks, hair-splitters, wannabe Jeopardy contestants, and certain Icelanders (@Hollyr :wave)
    (I plead guilty to 3 of the 4 charges :D).

A recent TLH ride report prompted me to dig up a quote from this saga and in doing that, I realized I hadn't finished the clean-up editing effort necessitated by the upgrade to the ADV platform back in June 2015.

That effort brought the passages quoted here to mind and the inner MapMaster said, "Hey, wait a minute! :hmmmmmThe northern reaches of Greenland may lie further east than Iceland." :jjen
    Checking a couple maps confirmed that to be true and the interwebz provides the necessary exactitude:
    Easternmost point of Iceland — Hvalbakur, Suður-Múlasýsla (64°35′N 13°14′W)
    Easternmost point of Greenland — Nordostrundingen, Greenland (11°19'W)

And all of Greenland is on the North American tectonic plate.

So I'm sorry Holly, but your claim for Iceland being the easternmost point of North America is no better than Erik The Red's was for Greenland being green. :D
    Not to worry, you can still promote the opportunity to sample hákarl, as a reason to visit your homeland. :lol3
    JohnfromJersey likes this.
  5. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur Supporter

Oddometer:
    You got me! I was assuming that the Mercator Projection was just making Greenland appear much larger than it really is.

Don't forget it is essential to have a glass of Brennivín handy when you sample the hákarl!
  6. TRoberts

TRoberts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regretfully, Boe had to leave us this morning but he will be forever in our hearts. We are happy you made us all a part of your trip and have great memories.
  7. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    I'm very sorry he's gone, I'll miss him too.
    Boe was such a loveable lab, and a great toe warmer!

[​IMG]
    TRoberts likes this.
  8. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    :wave
    Two recent news/media sightings of my favorite province prompted this shout out to many of my Canadian friends:
    Newfoundland - you're looking good!

Saw this bit of news today and when I googled mapped Roderick Bide Arm, I saw that it was the home of the Green Moose Interpretive center.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...but-confused-seals/ar-BBS5ITA?ocid=spartandhp
    No seals when I was there, but maybe next time. :wink:

And a re-airing of PBS's Nature program about red foxes showed stunningly beautiful scenes of English Harbour throuhgout.
    I did not make it to that area on this adventure, but hope to rectify that omission in the not too distant future. :evil
    (no link, access dependent on location, but well worth searching for)

Cheers all!
    TRoberts likes this.
  9. TRoberts

TRoberts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You know where to find us upon your return!
    MapMaster likes this.