Going Walkabout on an 800xc through Russia & Central Asia...and maybe beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuiltyParty, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Carluset

Carluset Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing!!!!

Can't wait for new updates :clap
  2. Reaperman

Reaperman n00b

Oddometer:
    Keep the updates coming, I've been following this thread for a while and am a big fan of custom/modded bikes. This one has already had a major transformation and this latest one looks like a corker!
  3. OB1UK

OB1UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has just rebuilt his Street Triple. He bought 10 litres of cheap cola and left the exhaust headers in it for 2 or 3 days: they came out looking like new! Worth a try and save on that elbow grease. Also, it'll get in all those tight nooks and crannies!
  4. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! That new frame colour and the black of the engine are real nice! I like!:evil
  5. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what colour are the plastics and tank going to end up as?
    Decisions.
  6. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you decided on a Speigler type canbus eliminator for your gauges yet? Have you thought of posting in the builder forum here? Be a shame with stock gauges behind that cyclops. Looking good, and oh yeah, awesome report too!
  7. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "The bike doesn’t have any resale value but we can't approach every situation in life by a pure profit/loss analysis, otherwise we’d be stuck at home dribbling jam in our crotch while watching the breakfast show on TV."

What an amazing journey. Totally engrossing read, and wonderful photos. As far as the above comment, considering the Liger took you across Europe and Asia on a trip of a lifetime on a thrifty budget, I'd say that the ole girl was a tremendous investment.

Loved the idea of the scorpion based colour for the frame. Too bad it didn't work out.

Trevor
  8. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Awesome will be Nice to see the liger backon the road
  9. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to how you mount this and what you do with the brake lines.
  10. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same fender but white on my 990....its a universal so should mount up fairly easy. It came with a little sticker to help line up what ever bolt holes you have under the triple....I had to pu a few washer/spacers on the back bolts so it cleared the rad but that was about it.

Reckon it shouldn't be much different with the ol' Liger:wink:
  11. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    If you find a 2nd long brake line, you can run it up to the master cylinder. Use long banjo bolt from the left brake caliper and put it on the master. Put the short banjo bolt on the left caliper. I had this kit on my 640 a few years ago. Kit is shit, but the idea is the same.

[​IMG]

Your other option would be to eliminate the right caliper and disk. I would recommend this. Many people do it on the 640s, 950s and 990s. You don't need twin disks.
  12. TarmacSurfer

TarmacSurfer Efforteless

Oddometer:
    Awesome adventure, it just keeps going. Thanks!:clap
  13. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    ABS on the tiger might make this a little difficult, maybe. I have no idea, just saying
  14. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

You do if you want to pull up in a hurry loaded to the hilt :deal

We chase power/response improvements but not braking ones? :dunno
  15. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    He is trying to make this bike into an offroad monster. Twin disks just make it easier to slide the front end out.. or you have more things to damage on rocks. Braking is only as good as the traction on the front tire. Like I said before, It is very common for people with a 990/950 adv or a 640 adv to do a single disk swap if they ride offroad often. Lionmonster brought up a good point though, the ABS might screw with both options I tried my best to explain above.

Normally the 2nd brake line runs over the fender. Leaving that brake line loose without the low fender to keep it off the tire is asking for a disaster... so something has to be done.
  16. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    I have to stop logging in to ADV because you all keep putting ideas in my head....spiegler instruments, painted plastics...:lol3

Most of the plastics won't be going back on but the ones I do keep I'll stick to the black because they contrast well with the green. And it's a black exhaust. The spiegler instruments though...I think you're right, the standard panel just wouldn't cut it on this :wink: maybe one day.

I haven't done much to it since posting those photos as I'm waiting on the shock and forks to come back. I've reinstalled the immobiliser, rectifier, ignition and the triple clamps. As I go along I'm checking bearings and re-packing everything with grease but the good news is nothing has needed replacing yet. They still have plenty of life left in them. Even the chain and front sprocket from the trip is staying on and I'm still using the original rear sprocket - 40,000k's and still going strong.

I had bit of a play around with the fender but I can't do anything permanent until the exhaust headers and radiator are installed so I can see how it all fits together. There's a company here that does braided brake lines in whatever style you want for cheap so that should be an easy fix.

Noah I thought about dropping to one caliper but with Patty on the back it's safer I keep both. I don't have ABS so what you said made sense.

There are still a couple of big ticket purchases to come - the safari tank and steering dampener then I should be back on the road :deal I'm aiming to have it all back together by Easter for a trip through the Vic high country to a bike meet in Broadford with Patty's stepdad. That will be the first real world test of the new and improved Liger :evil
  17. cold comfort

cold comfort Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally awesome thread and best ride report Ive read. Checked back and now saw your comment on removal/reattachment of pillion pegs.Sorry about that. I'll be following that with interest also. Wish I had the skills/motivation to attack my Tiger. The center stand already is a PITA causing continual scraping two up on tight tarmac corners and difficult to use on soft ground also.
  18. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I bought a few litres of cola like you suggested but my bourbon fell in it :freaky

Wow thanks for the cred! And for checking in
    The centre stand definitely won't be going back on. It's a PITA to get up and down so I found myself using it only when oiling the chain and fixing flats, and it's heavy to boot so it has no place on the new and improved Liger.
    If you're scraping it when riding two up it sounds like you have too much sag and some stiffer suspension might be what you are after.
  19. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    I figured after 40,000km's of abuse my shock was due for bit of a service and what better time than when the bike is in pieces on my garage floor. A service would be relatively cheap, but then I got thinking what did I want to get out of my suspension. I wanted the bike to sit a bit higher both for the clearance and my riding height, not to bottom out when I get airborne and take the sag out of the rear so the bike doesn't look like a dog with worms.

I can't complain about the stock suspension. I've just done 26,000km's two-up fully loaded and it didn't collapse on me and it handled perfectly. Plus I've gone from a 2003 KLR650 to a modern day weapon so in my mind I've already had an upgrade. I had a good chat to the boys at Shock Treatment to see what my options are and the ideas ranged from just a basic service to replace seals and oils, through to a brand new front and rear shock. A brand new rear and front shock sounded crazy and as they said to me 'it's a luxury accessory to a luxury bike' and a bit of overkill for the type of stuff I'll be doing. As I said for the most part I'm happy with the stock shock.

We finally settled on putting stiffer springs, changing the oil, extending the shock core by whatever margin they can, extending the front forks and installing a pair of Soupy's drop links. Turns out the core can't be extended as it's already at it's maximum so the forks didn't need extending. With the stiffer spring I won't have so much sag so I may not need the extra height anyway...I still want to be able to get the outriggers out when I'm paddling through mud :ear

No external difference except the spring.

[​IMG]

Soupy's links fitted

[​IMG]

Those two torgue bolts have to go. If I don't carry the tool in my belt, and Patty's stepdad doesn't have one in his shed (and he has everything!) it's a sign it has to go. Last thing I want is to be stuck in outback somewhere with a collapsed suspension looking for a torque key. For now the drop links are hanging until I can get a replacement bolt that can be undone with my standard kit.

[​IMG]

Liger Christmas Special :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The exhaust headers and new seals are fitted

[​IMG]

The wiring harness is back in place. Starting from the rear I examined the wires and taped and cleaned as necessary.

The fall sensor in the tail uses 7mm bolts...now a weeee bolt...the sound it made as it travelled across the shed through the air. I've replaced them with 8mm bolts so I have one less tool to carry. It was an easy switch. I just took out the metal core bit out of the fall sensor, put a sleeve on the plastic and fitted the bolt. Job done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a little over-excited taking old flaking tape off and exposed this wire at the solenoid. I'm not sure why the insulation is cut off.

[​IMG]

So while the tape is off I thought I'd have a play with the solenoid and try relocate it.

It's looking more and more like a Christmas Special the more I play with it :ear

[​IMG]

You can see two brown wires and a white/red wire coming from the rear of the bike and a small black wire coming from the front of the bike.

The brown wires

[​IMG]

I don't need to check the wiring diagram to know these are important so I covered them back up and slowly backed away :eek1 If the black wire is extended I can place the solenoid neat and tidy next to the relays. I need to check what that wire is but I figure if I get some insulated male/female connectors I shouldn't have any problems. I'll look at that next weekend when I get a bit more nerve.

More 'weeee' bolts. I've taken the side stand switch off and I'll place it somewhere else on the bike out of harms way

[​IMG]

More to come next week as the rebuild picks up pace
  20. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've my side stand switch zip tied just behind the gear change shaft.

From the seat of my Tiger 800.