Going Walkabout on an 800xc through Russia & Central Asia...and maybe beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuiltyParty, Apr 9, 2013.

1. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome update!!

Bike is sure coming together.

JG
  2. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Its looking so good!

The rear subframe (or frame?) on this bike looks so huge. I'm excited to see it when its done. It will be interesting to see the difference in weight.
  3. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Noah, he's having a Rally-Raid Products parcel arriving soon..
  4. jamie92j

jamie92j Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow the bike is looking fantastic!

That green frame with all the black looks great!
  5. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I don't think your stepper motor fix will work. It's my understanding that it's the actuation roller up by the throttle bodies that get's dirty/dusty not the actual motor itself.
  6. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:

It's going to look mean :evil I'm desperately trying to have it going for the Easter weekend but I'm thinking I'm pushing sh*t uphill with that idea.

It's definitely going to be lighter (if I'm using an equivalent 19 litres of fuel) but I don't think it will be a huge difference.
  7. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    You're talking about the gold bit in the centre of the photo Howard? I figure covering the base of it will at least stop a lot of dirt circulating in and up to the rocker arm. It should stop enough of it that I won't need to do a mid-service service. At full service I'll take it out and give it a clean. If it doesn't work I'll wear it as an arm band.

[​IMG]
  8. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    There's a roller somewhere in there that collects the dirts and, therefore, doesn't put the idle where it should be. How the dirt gets to it is anyone's guess. Blowing in the wind I suppose.
  9. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    I feel a Kansas song coming on... :lol3

But yes, it's that bushing, and dust getting between it and the shaft it's on, which causes a bit of friction and that binding up is enough to throw off the fine adjustment made by the stepper. The best fix is some quality grease keeping the dust out of the gap IMO.
  10. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    We're going home Todo :lol3

Thanks mate. I'll do both :deal

@Cabriolet and anyone else looking to piggy back additional lights off the main headlight. This was taken about 10cm back from the main headlight female connector plug. It was wrapped in tape and easily accessible. It's the blue/white wire you want as it goes directly to the instrument panel and headlight switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to do some troubleshooting and figure out why I'm not getting any voltage readings at the light...
  11. Cabriolet

Cabriolet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bingo! thats it.
    Thanks for finding that out.

Are there any marking on the connector? does anyone on here know what type it is or who manufactures it?

I guess I could unwrap the loom and find that point and tap into it, but the OCD side of me still wants to make a plug and play loom using OEM connectors. ;)

At least I know where to concentrate now. I can take a look at my bike and see what I can find out about that connector type.

keep up the great build.
  12. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    I've ordered some online and should get them next week. If they're the right ones I'll let you know the product code. They're manufactured in the UK so you're in luck
  13. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    A bunch of Rally Raid goodies arrived :D Having all these boxes arrive in the post is like Christmas all over...or Easter...

Gear lever

[​IMG]

Brake Lever. I'm not going to lose my footing with these bear traps! :eek1

[​IMG]

I've also received a bit that replaces the grab handles and a rear rack but I'll post shots of that tomorrow. I'm so impressed with the build, quality and lightness of these parts. I've never used Rally Raid kit before because, well, I've never owned a KTM but these are pure quality. I'm cancelling my fender mount order with the machinist and I'll work with Rally Raid instead.

Fitted some genuine Triumph LED indicators. They were on sale for $90 with a relay so why not. The relay is real handy and easy to install. It simply replaces the OEM relay and slots into place with a ground running to the battery. Beats having to install resistors on each of the indicators. I also preferred these over ones out there cos they look trick. For now I've fitted the OEM tail just to get it registered. If I change it to much from standard I'm worried it won't pass but once that's done I'll be changing it.

[​IMG]

Relay

[​IMG]

A pair of Hella braided brake lines also showed up in carbon. More about them later when I've rigged them up properly.

[​IMG]

Engine guards also fitted. The same SW Motech ones that saved the bike in the tumble, only with a fresh coat of paint.

[​IMG]
  14. nineTofive

nineTofive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We used every single part that was sent to us by Triumph except the water pump pipe. Kudos to Jack Lilley for getting the right parts to us.

The engine bars haven't been refitted yet because they need some serious bending to get back in shape so we're taking them to a guy who will heat them and bend them back. That's today's job....and test riding of course :wink:

Tomorrow we plan to leave and head towards Karakol north west Kyrgyzstan. Our Kazakhstan visa expires 14 August and we'll need every single one of those days to get out. The Kazakh roads are notoriously shit so that will shake the bike down.[/QUOTE]

Damn, Im catching up here but what you just did right there was bad ass. There are a lot of people out there who would have bucked it up to a loss but you made do. You and Patty are kickass!
  15. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic rebuild. :thumb
  16. Tubaman

Tubaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome I'm following every post! Thanks for taking the time to share it all!:lol3
  17. Brendus

Brendus n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a fantastic trip and definitely adventure. im only half way through your post but im hooked.
  18. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    Patty and I are getting really itchy for the next adventure
  19. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    The model and part number of the headlight connector for those wanting to play around up there.

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/5314607/?searchTerm=multilock+female+070+4&relevancy-data=636F3D3226696E3D4931384E44656661756C74266C753D656E266D6D3D6D61746368616C6C7061727469616C26706D3D5E5B5C707B4C7D5C707B4E647D5C707B5A737D2D2C2F255C2E5D2B2426706F3D3926736E3D592673743D4B4559574F52445F4D554C54495F414C5048415F4E554D455249432673633D592677633D4E4F4E45267573743D6D756C74696C6F636B2066656D616C6520303730203426

I can't do anything else until I get the fork mount (which Rally Raid have happily agreed to help me with) and the light mount so for now I sit the Liger sits tight.

The Easter weekend here in Sydney was amazing weather so I took a GSXR 1100 out for a spin :eek1
  20. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok Bro, I've gone through the whole report, amazing, but hurry up on the final product of the Triumph!