1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Going Walkabout on an 800xc through Russia & Central Asia...and maybe beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuiltyParty, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow.....you're doing such an awesome job dude! Seriously....there are a lot of people out there doing "builds" and are just making a hash of things, but this project is coming along real nice....lots of subtle classy touches.

Might as well rename the bike "Jesus" after the resurection its had. :evil

Good on yer!:freaky
  2. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Jesus 2.0
  3. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  4. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    I know I know I'm starting to feel bad that this is in the ride report forum instead of the build forum. Soon mate

Noah saved two of every animal, except one...the Liger :norton

Cheers man. Less is more is what I'm trying to go for and make it as bullet proof as possible. A fair bit of trial and error has gone into it but the final product should pay off.
  5. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    It's about time I ended the radio silence and posted bit of an update.

As some parts come off, others go on. I fitted a Barrett slip-on exhaust, built right here in Oz just around the corner from where I live.

[​IMG]

I was going to leave the standard exhaust on to keep the authorities happy but seeing it lying there on the floor I couldn't resist the temptation :evil Maybe I'll post a video of this in action.

An MSC Ralle Moto steering dampener filled my post box, another aussie product.

The plate that fits to the head stock underneath the bars is made of 10mm (could be wrong, I'm going off memory here) billet so it lifts the bars by that much.

[​IMG]

The ignition had to come off in order to fit a piece.

[​IMG]

A piece had to be cut in order for it to fit around the dampener.

[​IMG]

Very neat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the 20mm Touratech bar risers fitted but I always felt to hunched over on them. In the pic above you can see I've fitted some Rox risers which combined with the 10mm or so on the dampener mounting plate the height is perfect :deal

A pair of Barkbuster VPS plastics. The Storm ones I had on it were left behind in Tajikistan in our rush to get to the border, but these ones look more trick anyway I think. Bah to the cold. Also some Acerbis fork seal socks.

[​IMG]

The filter over the stepper motor was a retarded idea so I added some curtains instead.

[​IMG]

These sit perfectly around the shape of the engine on two sides (front and ride hand side) which should prevent the bulk of dust getting into the arm. The rivets were pulled through two washers and it sealed tight. I could have added silicon to further dust proof it around the rivets but I don't think it's necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One reason for the rebuild taking so long was waiting on the headlight mounts from a machinist because at full lock it brushes against the forks. After 3 weeks of waiting I gave up and fitted it by spacing it out from the forks and up using stiff rubber. I used stiff rubber because I don't want the headlight shaking too much and blow the globe.

[​IMG]

And fitted the fender temporarily using cable ties to see how it fits together. It's a perfect fit like it was designed for this bike. :evil

Remember the guy in Kazakhstan tried stealing the bike and broke the fender? The brake line catching on the knobbies was the only reason I could run after and catch the guy

[​IMG]

It was plastic welded back into place which got us through the trip. It had to be done because the brake line sat across the wheel

[​IMG]

I cut the two fork guard pieces off it and hand rolled a piece of 2mm aluminium into the shape of the guard to reinforce it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All loaded up and off to get the safety inspection and full service done. As it's an import and never registered in Australia it needs a safety inspection done, so I figured if I asked a Triumph technician to check it and do a full service it would be more likely to pass.

[​IMG]

You can see it's not completely ready. The brake line isn't passed through the guide near the wheel. I just fashioned two of them (one for each line) out of some fencing wire.

The fender is sitting low because it's only tied on with cable ties for now. I was hoping to hear back from Rally Raid by now but nothing as yet. I have the design I just need someone to machine it :deal

[​IMG]

I was in such a rush to get it off for the inspection I forgot to take some shots of the cockpit. It looks bloody incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are still a couple of final touches before I can say "I'm done" but I'm stoked with how it's turned out so far. I'll re-upholster and lower the seat (the bike sits taller now with the stiffer suspension), attach the fork mount and of course mount the lada badge :D

Not bad for a garage build if I must say so myself.
  6. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Looks fantastic. Give yourself a crate of beer.
  7. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    HOLY CRAP:huh Triumph may need to contact you for details, I'm not far from the NA headquarters if you would like me to relay info.:lol3
  9. ACP

ACP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enough about this two wheeled junker. Tell us about the HSV Ute!!!

Kidding mate. It looks a beaut. Hope it passes safety and rides as well as it looks.

Good work....
    Andy :)
  10. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Gifted and blessed you are.
    You should pass with flying colors or their Karma drops for 1000 years.

Oh, and the Lada badge will make it perfect. No doubt. :rofl

:1drink
  11. stamp

stamp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks awesome mate, its like some sort of stealth bomber bike of doom ready to rip up the countryside and scare animals :D :deal

what's this I hear about your next trip? what u planning? :evil
  12. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Damn, such a sweet looking bike!
    <mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%&quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quot;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&quot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Buffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&quot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quot;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:false,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:false,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;quality&quot;:&quot;default&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:false,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:false,&quot;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:false,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot;turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:false}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>
  13. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BAD ASS! Now...lets see it in action then eh?:evil
  14. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike looks awesome!! Nice work!!

JG
  15. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuckin' sick, Craig! I think the Tiger looks a little weird without a windshield in it's natural state, but it looks great with your new headlight--downright mean, actually. That safari tank, in addition to holding way more fuel, looks like it'd be a lot less hassle to take off than the stock, not having to deal with all the fiddly plastic bits. I want one, dangit.

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but I see you took off the passenger pegs. Where's Patty going to sit? Do you have a way to reattach, or is this strictly a solo machine now?

Interesting that with all your big pimpin' upgrades, you kept the OEM sump guard. Seeing all the back and forth of people talking about what are the best, or even adequate, aftermarket replacements, it looks like that's not something you're concerned with?
  16. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    Dude! Wtf car is that towing the trailer? We don't have that here in the states that's for sure!

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
  17. rksksa

rksksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    malaysia, cambodia, vietnam and back to malaysia
    def a holden. a storm?

oh...gorgeous rebuild btw.
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:

They call em Ute's (pronouced 'yoot')....you guys used to have em...but called em El Camino's....:D

We used to be able to get a "Ute" version of the Subaru outback...but a true Ute lover may argue that those are not proper ute's.....they tend to go like hell as they all have (or used to have ) V8's in em.
  19. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also see: 1982 dodge rampage....poor man's Ute?? :lol3
  20. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    So awesome its all coming together for you,