Going Walkabout on an 800xc through Russia & Central Asia...and maybe beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuiltyParty, Apr 9, 2013.

1. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    The utes a 2010 Holden SSV V8. Goes like the clappers and comes with a loyalty card at the local petrol station! Every Aussie has either owned a ute or thought about owning one, just in case we need to take the bike out for the weekend :rofl

The pillion pegs will be going back on when I get it back from safety inspection/service. Patty wouldn't have it any other way :deal

The safari tank does away with all the plastics and breather hoses and it's a cinch to get on, once the initial adjustments are done to the brackets (inside and out). It sits higher than the stock tank but it's fine.

Adam, we have a long weekend coming up for the queens birthday first weekend of June and I'm catching up with some old riding buddies. That will be a good shake down of the bike and for sure they'll take me places that will put the liger through her paces :evil
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hold the Lada badge for after the MOT, donot want to confuse the government employees.
  3. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    Jeebus! Me gotta have one.... The wife can keep the family sedan and I'll take the ute. That one in particular. Can you ship to the US? I'll give you a good price :deal
  4. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    She won't mind sitting in a rumble seat while my daughter sits shotgun. :rofl
  5. Angry Pete

Angry Pete RIP Speedy

Oddometer:
    Hey Craig, do Barrett provide a map to load into the ECU? What was the damage (or was it a special deal?) more pic of the pipe please.
  6. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two official tunes:
    Triumph standard tune
    Triumph Arrow tune.

Most, if not all aftermarket manufacturers state that their exhausts are built with the standard tune in mind. Actually not aware of any that state the Arrow tune is required to be honest.
  7. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Craig, I have TuneECU on my comp still. If you remember, your Liger and my KTM690 have basically the same Keihin FI system. If you don't have it "corrected" by the time I make it to OZ, we can upload the new map into your ECU. Just let me know which model I should download the "arrow map" for. All slip-ons are basically the same in terms of fueling. I've been running the fueling for an "Akropovic map" (slightly modified) on my bike for 75,000 km and I have a LV pipe. It only adds about 2 to 4% to the fuel matrix over the range of RPMs.
    http://www.tuneecu.com/Tune_List.html

You might download TuneECU for the fun of it. You can get a USB to OBD2 cable relatively cheap these days.

Since you have re-designed the whole bike anyway, you might as well get to know the FI too. :deal
    Its nice to flash your error codes too.
  8. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fitted a Barrett slip-on exhaust, built right here in Oz just around the corner from where I live.

[​IMG]

I was going to leave the standard exhaust on to keep the authorities happy but seeing it lying there on the floor I couldn't resist the temptation :evil Maybe I'll post a video of this in action.

:deal:dg:jive:ddog
  9. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    How much lighter is the new exhaust too please?
  10. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    The exhaust is $460 including postage but I got it a bit less than that. They haven't really advertised it nor posted pics of it fitted to a Triumph so unless you've heard of them before you wouldn't know they were making them, not like you would say an Arrow or Leo Vince which you hear about all the time. For now I'm using the standard tune so I can get some readings and then I'll change it. I didn't take any weight measurements but it's noticeably lighter, not to mention smaller and sleeker.

Noah I've been using DealerTool which I took on the trip. It will be ready for our trip to the OCR if you fancy a bit of exploring around the top end of Oz. I know you come into Darwin, to Sydney then almost back to Darwin again but a trip to Oz without a trip to Kakadu wouldn't be a complete trip. Plenty of spots to get your fishing line wet for some prized Barramundi.

I'll post more pics of the light, instrument panel, exhaust and brake lines over the weekend.
  11. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah dude. I'm game. We should Skype again soon. I'm flying into Sumatra on Saturday. I'm not sure about the availability of good wifi there...
  12. Angry Pete

Angry Pete RIP Speedy

Oddometer:
    So, is the bike back on the road yet?
  13. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    +1
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    GP & Patty

As a lurker on your thread interested to see how the Tiger stood up and follow your travels it is finally time to chime in. :freaky

You guys certainly took the Tiger to the edge and back, not to mention yourselves.

Full cred for pulling her back together and making No 5 alive again man and now with the rebuild into what can only be described as sweetas.

Outstanding RR, beautiful pics and outstanding attitude on life, travel, difficulties and all :clap

Best wishes to you both, like the others I am very interested too on the final outcome for Liger.

Cheers Andi
  15. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    It passed the first stage of safety inspection which means I'm now waiting on an import plate from Niddrie Nameplates in Victoria to affix to the bike. Once I get that I show it to the people who did the safety inspection then they release all the paperwork and I can get it registered and back on the road. Will be a few more weeks yet. It's been a very long process but it's done right.

In the meantime I have a desert crossing to plan :evil

Cheers Andi for following our adventure, the ups and downs and everything in between :1drink

It doesn't compare to yours though, I've just been trawling through your site. Those mines in Potosi are an eye opener aren't they. There was a partial collapse when we were in there and we had to run in case more collapsed. Meanwhile I could feel the rumblings of dynamite being set off in other sections of the mine. Bloody fantastic place to travel, for a long time I looked for ways of getting back over there to live permanently. It's still on the cards.

Keep up the great photography and stay safe. I'll be following just behind you in spirit
  16. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Great news getting the bike sorted and yes definitely worth doing it properly :clap

Your adventure more than compares although it does not need too... the crash was a monty and your guys spirits was outstanding :freaky as soon as anyone turns the key, takes the risk and travels on a moto in a foreign place they are worthy :clap

I will be travelling some of the areas so was very keen on how you saw it too, Bolivia is a nice place to travel but to be honest the Bolivians (particularly at this point in time) with riots, blockades, strikes and general halting of any services, not serving petrol to foreigners and ripping white faces constantly is starting to wear thin with frustration.
  17. Airguitar

Airguitar Thumpin'!!

Oddometer:
    Great read from start to.. well.. not yet finished, is it?
    You guys proved once again that Charlie and Ewan are not immortals. :thumb

I'm collecting my Tiger 800XC in September, so I'm keen to see how your mods have turned out. It's especially interesting that you've opted for a plastic front fender instead of returning to OEM. I've learned a lot about the bike and its shortcomings from reading your thread, however it would be good to hear your thoughts on this as well. An adventure bike has to be able to take the knocks, especially when you're 3500km from anywhere that carries spare parts.
    So, please make us a list of what's good and what's not good on this bike. I'm looking forward to taking my own around Southern Africa. Having some knowledge about what to expect or what to do to prevent any nasty surprises would be greatly appreciated.
  18. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    There's a whole "problem" thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782993
  19. nduro.kz

nduro.kz Nomad

Oddometer:
    It's great! :clap
    Can i translate this on russian and post on Kazakh adventure site?
  20. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Err the oem front is plastic also. As said check out the problems thread. Main thing to be drawn from this thread is that GuiltyParty is a tenacious bugger and resourceful to. :clap