Gold Nugget Triathlon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by legion, May 4, 2012.

1. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly, 3/4 of the Simes house will be madly hitting refresh at 8 PM... The girls have been beating their mother regularly for a few years now, except that one time when Mom "accidentally" swapped bib numbers with daughter #1... After that, the girls became MUCH more interested in minding their own race paperwork.

I've put "Chateaubriand a la pobre" through the IHOP menu transmorgifier and it keeps coming up with either Corned Beef Hash or SPAM and eggs - is that about right?

Gotcha, plain oatmeal with water and a nice slab of tofu it is then :dg
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I think it's about as close as I'll get! :lol3

I knew it was time to pay closer attn a few days ago when my baked potato was slathered in a revolting Greek yogurt. Looked great. Horrific flavor. The oatmeal tofu option would have been a big upgrade. :puke1
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    The following have recently stuck their names in the hat for the 2014 GNT and are slated to be riding along the bike portion of the course with a race marshal on back:

dapman / simestd / Andrewmc / Heli

With that lineup we have one more than we may need so if any of you are waffling know that the world will keep spinning if you stand down but it'd be nice to know if you're in or you're out in advance as I'm a nervous nelly and a planning freak. Three has been the prior year minimum. Four the norm.

http://www.goldnuggettriathlon.com

Please confirm that I understood you correctly, gentlemen and that the schedule works on your end. Any preference for AM or PM shift? Want to check the schedule for your special racer before you answer? Any of you got an extra hat or two? I do... buy they're full facers and I've got a mondo head so these course marshals would probably not be too impressed rattling around in any of my lids.

The race will take place on 05-18-2014 and there will be an early AM meeting to discuss the plan and hoover down an omelette. Style points awarded for eating any portion of simestd's omelette if he looks away. Breakfast is at the IHOP toward the back of the cluster of strip malls called Tikahtnu Commons... which is directly across the street from Bartlett HS where the GNT race starts and finishes.

I haven't heard from the race director for the bicycle section yet but will catch up w/ him in the next week or two. If I hear anything that needs to be shared I'll do it right here but at this point I'm expecting a repeat of previous years.

Please confirm that you're all on deck and a big thank you to all for pitching in. This is such a tough way to spend 1/2 a Sunday. Be brave, be strong, and we'll see you there!
  4. simestd

Oddometer:
    Omelet slayer 1st class Simes reporting for Perky Pillion Porter duty as assigned, SIR! AM shift preferred, but either will work. Don't have any lids that aren't full face - although Barb may have a loaner or two.

I'll bring a tofu recipe to share :deal Seriously, I do make a mean blackened tofu if you want to try the recipe - simple and only 20 minutes to make.
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 3/4 Nolan w/ a flip up facesheild I can loan.
  6. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    I have a hi-viz Bell flip-up to loan too.
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Testing... 1, 2, 3.

Testing.

Nest weekend. Everybody checked the stable and made sure the pony's still in there? Taken it out for a spank to shake the cobwebs?

We're all on deck. :thumb
  8. simestd

Oddometer:
    Yep, GL500 is in the commuting rotation and ready to roll. What's the confirmed meet up time @ Tinkhotsenough IHOP for the morning shift? Do we have enough pillion lids?
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    So far we don't have lids and we don't have a meet up time. I'll get w/ the race director re: meet up time and if any of you have p-lids that you don't mind lending to the cause please pipe up. :thumb
  10. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I may have to pass this year, unfortunately. My girlfriend and I are riding my GS back up from Seattle next weekend, and I don't think the Ducati will be the best marshall bike.

Hope you guys have fun!

Andrew
  11. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Will be out of town Fri & Sat, but home Sat eve... should have sunday open! Keep me informed on times and locations. Early pre-race meeting at Takahtnu IHOP...
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike I still have that 3/4 Nolan if you need it. Just let me know when. I am available Sun is you need a fill in rider. I thought this was yesterday.

Bradley
  13. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Have a good time, Andrew!

You're on deck and in the line-up, dapman. We'll have more info right here as we get closer.

Thanks for stepping up, Drunkle... and I've got you slotted in and on deck! Please bring that 3/4 Nolan along and I'm sure there'll be a taker.

Tom... I'm sure you're good to go and I'm sure Heli is, too. IIRC you've got another beanie or similar helmet, Tom? Please confirm. I'll get ahold of the race guys tonight and have an update re: time to meet and all that by tomorrow. Do any of you have any extra riding gear that might fit a random marshall?

Thanks again, gentlemen! This ought to be a very good time and if the weather holds it'll be outstanding :thumb
  14. Pint

Pint multi-tasker

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to throw my name out there if you still need more folks to haul race marshals around. I also have a beanie type helmet and an open face MX type helmet that I don't care if they get dropped, scratched etc. Did not think I would still be in town, but looks like I will be. PM me if you want.
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Pint! We all very much appreciate the offer but I think we're covered at this point. If something shakes loose or a tire falls off I'll shoot you a PM.

:thumb
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Thanks, ThatGuy. I *might* need to take you up on one of the hats. Are either of 'em on the smaller-ish side?... like maybe small or medium sized?
  17. simestd

Oddometer:
    Negative on the beanie helmet, all mine are full face, non-modular. I'll swing by and see what Barb has.
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thanks for helping out! Seriously. This is an important job, and you really have to know what’s up to do it well. We have a super experienced crew, and I very much appreciate all of your help. I’m feeling very positive about everything. Here is the who, what, when, and where:

Morning Shift – 8:45 to 1pm.
    1. Marshals – Janice, Sheryl
    2. Meet them at 8:45am in front of the Red Robin across from Bartlett HS in the Tikahtnu Center parking lot
    3. The triathlon starts at 9:00am
    4. I expect the first woman out of the pool will hit the course at @ 9:06a

Afternoon Shift – 1pm to 5pm-ish
    1. Marshals – Lisa, Judy
    2. Meet at 1pm at the Red Robin across from Bartlett HS in the Tikahtnu Center parking lot

Notes:
    I'll bring a couple of extra riding suits. One leather and one textile. I can also bring an extra helmet but would prefer both Marshals on both segments had a beanie or flip front, etc. Something protective but that they can communicate through with the bicyclists as necessary. Bradley, please bring that 3/4 helmet and if it's not inconvenient for you I'd like to catch up to you early to snag that hat unless you're coming to the breakfast. Burke... please bring your 3/4 hat and we should be set.

ThatGuy... thanks for the offer on the hat. I very much appreciate it.

Schedule:

AM Heli / simestd
    PM dapman / drunk uncle

I'll be at the pancake house (IHOP?) toward the rear of the Tikahtnu complex at about 7:45a and if you early course crew are there; breakfast is on me. Dapman, you and drunkle; you're more than welcome to join us for breakfast and I've got the tab but if you've got anything else cooking at 7:45a Sunday morning know that you don't need to be there early. It's about 90% bs session, 10% <STRIKE>course</STRIKE> coarse talk and 100% protecting your omelet from simestd's seize and impound breakfast strategy. For the 2nd shift please plan on meeting in front of the Red Robin (in the same Tikahtnu parking lot) at about 12:45p. The Marshal's will swap helmets and riding suits and we'll be off and running with a fresh team.

Three of you have ridden the course and are familiar. Dapman, if you want to see what's what ahead of the ride, here's the course map:

http://www.goldnuggettriathlon.com/images/GNTcoursemap2014.jpg

This is a sprint-tri so the course distances are shorter and the pace is quick. Some of the very earliest competitors make an extra effort to get in their lane at the pool prior to it being completely churned up by upwards of 1000 other competitors. There will be all levels of rider skill and drive represented on the course but you can expect that the first few hundred women hitting the bike portion will be seriously hauling the mail.

If you've got any questions give me a holler or post 'em up.

Thanks again!!
  19. simestd

Oddometer:
    Swung by AK Leather and no joy on a lid. BTW, they've got a great price on 3\4 helmets, but are currently out of large and medium. Should I bring a full face or are we covered?
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I think we've got it nailed, Tom. :thumb