Gold Nugget Triathlon

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by legion, May 4, 2012.

1. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great, see you for breakfast - and that omelet had it coming ;)
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Grueling day! :lol3 Gorgeous weather, awesome sunshine, clear skies and happy people! Life is good today.

Tom, Burke, Bradley, Allyn... thank you, Gentlemen. I and about 1600 women very much appreciate all you do for the racers!

If you have any comments or pics you'd like to post up to document your arduous travels today, hit it! Otherwise, I'll figure you're all slotted in for next year if you like and it works out for your schedule.

Thanks again!

Oh... and Mrs. legion seemed happy with her time but I don't know what it was or anything like that. She did seem to be keeping a good pace coming off the trail and onto the road and again coming off the artillery road heading up to the transition for the run. She does not dig the 500 yards in the tub though.
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike, I had the marshal I toted keep the helmet and give to you. Its old and don't use it anymore. You can keep it for next year.
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Too cool. Thank you, Sir!!
  5. simestd

Oddometer:
    Had a great time as usual Mike, thanks again for breakfast! My daughters both reported seeing a black bear :eek1 on the tank trails during their run - that would have been in the 2:30 - 3:00 time frame. Glad Ms. Legion was happy with her results, happy spousal units are a good thing :D

Count me in for next year, and thanks for wrangling the logistics! As soon as Barb gets the medium/large 3/4 helmets back in stock I'll pick one up for next year.
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Right on! No need to snag a helmet but I appreciate the offer for sure. Burke's got one and Bradley donated one to us for future years so I think we're set. I hope everybody on Team Simestd had a good time, too. :thumb
  7. simestd

Oddometer:
    Bumpin this just in case... The <strike>signup</strike> chaos for the 2015 Gold Nugget Triathlon begins at 8 PM tonight (in about 30 minutes). If someone you know of the XX persuasion is interested in participating, the 1500 available slots are typically gone in < 15 minutes.

Signup URL http://www.goldnuggettriathlon.com/index.php

Legion, if you're heading up the moto posse again this year, put me down :D
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

roger dodger
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Ok Gentlemen... we on track this year? Last year was:

Simestd, Heli, Dapman, Drunk Uncle.

Bradley's out this year as he and his lovely wife moved stateside. That means we've got:

1) Simestd signed up
    2) Heli in the lineup but not confirmed
    3) Dapman in the lineup but not confirmed

Firstly, Heli or Dapman please pipe up and let me know if you want to participate this year. A couple other guys have expressed interest so if you're in or your out should be all about you. No obligation; just a good time.

It'll be the same deal with breakfast at the same place as last year which was the IHOP in the Tikahtnu Commons.

Comment today from one of the race directors:

Anybody got a preference as to early or late shift?

Special notes:

1) Tom... forks flat on the breakfast table til we all say GO! :lol3

2) A special thanks to Bradley for the donation of a hat last year. :thumb

I snagged an small ultra-vis vest that one of the marshals can sport. We'll see if we can snag another between now and then. Tom, I think you have another hat IIRC?
  10. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Soory Leeg... Too much on my plate getting truck ready for show and breaking ground on new toy shop.
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    No problem, bud. :thumb Toy shop you say?
  12. simestd

Oddometer:
    Morning preferred, the women who let me live with them all start @ 10

Have I mentioned that you're a gentleman, scholar and a fine judge of breakfast fare?

I've got an extra, but it's full face. I'll swing by Barbs and get a 3/4.

Thanks for herding the cats again this year!
  13. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    I have a large modular helmet and maybe a hi-viz vest laying around if you need.
  14. simestd

Oddometer:
    I made it by Barb's yesterday and picked up a size L 3/4 helmet for the cause :D

Will bring a beanie cap for padding also just in case.
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You are the MAN, Tom! Thank you!

Around 1500 women thank you too :thumb
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Firstly, thanks to all that have offered to participate this year and in years prior. This is a volunteer thing. No money, etc. just a day of riding the bike (with someone you've probably never met on the back) in selfless observance of roughly 1500 women. It is an important thing and not just anyone is suited to the task. My hat's off to you all and thanks for saddling up!

Here are the details for this year's event...

The Official Gold Nugget Triathlon website:

https://www.goldnuggettriathlon.com

The schedule:

May 17, 2015.

First Group:

The first pair of Marshals and the first pair of riders will meet in front of the Tikahtnu Red Robin at 8:45am. The first racers head out around 9:00a so before that time we'll have had a very brief meet and greet then the marshals will suit up and hop on back of a bike. They know the course, they know the rules, and they know exactly where to go. Your session will last until 12:30p. A few minutes before then you'll head back to Red Robin to trade off with the second wave of marshals / riders.

Second Group:

Meet in front of the Tikahtnu Red Robin a little before 12:30p. Your session will last from roughly 12:30p to roughly 4:00p, ballpark and the instructions are the same as for the 9:00a group above.

Positions:

First Group / Morning Session...
    Simestd and Helikron

Second Group / Afternoon Session...
    Andrew and Chris from Team TMS

Breakfast:

It doesn't have anything to do with the race or anything else really but at roughly (edit: 7:45a) for the last few years we've been having a pre-race breakfast at the IHOP which is at the end of the original group of Tikahtnu commons buildings. Hard to miss if you just spin around the parking lot for a minute. If there's anything that needs to be sorted out we can do it then. Doesn't matter which session you're riding; if your interested in putting a name with a face or have any questions... we'll get all that knocked out over pancakes and breakfast is on me.

Thanks again, Gentlemen. Many of us appreciate what you're doing. It's universally been a good time in years past and I'm betting we'll have more of the same this year, too :thumb
  17. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris won't be able to make it in the afternoon. He's currently the points leader in his class for Anchorage motocross, and he wants to keep it that way for some reason :puke1

I'll still be there, though! Going to bring out our 2015 Multistrada demo :wink:
  18. simestd

Oddometer:
    I'll be glad to pull double duty if necessary - not quite a SS1000, but the GL500 is comfortable all day.
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Tom. I think we're covered but I very much appreciate it.

See you in the AM and Andrew, I'll see you when you're on deck and you're more than welcome to show for breakfast if you feel like it. Not sure the company's exactly worth forgoing an outstanding late snooze op but any egg you can keep out of simestd's grasp is an egg earned! :lol3

20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    My special thanks to two gentlemen in particular that handled the entire affair this year! The motorcycle portion in years past had always been a motorcycle, a rider, and a course marshal as passenger, riding herd on any bad actors on the course. Drafters, left side hoggers, etc.

This year was different and ushered in a kinder, gentler approach to the bicycle portion of the triathlon.

For the first leg simestd had Sheryl on back as passenger and bike mechanic, scouring the course looking for damsels in distress. Flat tires, popped chains and the like.

The second leg was handled solo by Andrew of The Motorcycle Shop and I *think* gentlemen, that you may have led the charge on what could be a long term change to the GNT. I would not be surprised if the race moving forward was modeled differently based in part on the success of your efforts this year. Long term or not, I and about 1500 ladies as well as the race directors and in particular, Bill of Chain Reaction very much appreciate your volunteering.

There's no pay, no prestige, and any benefit resides exclusively in the eye of the beholder however, I sincerely appreciate what you've done.

On a related note, Heli, you've been a reliable supporter for the last several years and I apologize for the last minute change that botched the schedule for you. For what it's worth the request to adjust was made late and with it the number of required riders was shortened, too. Offering to ride all the way up the Peninsula to support the race and then blasting back to Ninilchik for a meeting that afternoon though is absolutely over the top. My hat's off to you, Sir.

It's not easy keeping 1500 women happy but each of you did it with style!

Thank you for helping to make the 2015 Gold Nugget Triathlon a success! :thumb