1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

"Golden temple & India-Pakistan Border" Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Chanderjeet, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Where is That Door of Yours, and where is That Home, in which You sit and take care of all? There are so many Ragas and musical harmonies to You; so many minstrels sing hymns of You. Wind, water and fire sing of You.[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]~ Rahiras, Guru Granth Sahib (Holy Book of Sikhs)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These were the first words i heard when i enteres the Holy Golden Temple in Amritsar, State of Punjab, India. I had been planning to visit the temple dedicated to Guru's of Sikhs for some time now. Work got over early this past weekend and i found myself gliding the NH - 1 and meet up a friend in chandigarh and then ride to to Amritsar and i have to admit it was one of the most memorable trips ever. The plan was to see the Golden Temple and then visit the Jalianwala Bagh and then move to see the "Beat of Retreat Ceremony" which is held on the Wagah border (Indo-Pakistan). I myself havent seen india like i saw it there. The city is a bit overcrowed but the history has been preserved. The Golden Temple also known as Harmandar Sahib is made out of pure gold. Yes, everything you which giltters in these pictures is GOLD. Moving further nearby the Temple was the Jalianwala bagh where on 13th April 1919, General Dyer of British Army killed 2000 innocent indian protesting in a garden. The walls there still have bullet marks. This took quite some time and after finishing up some truly delicious food we moved 32 kms west towards Pakistan. Reached the first barrcade, parked and walked towards the holding area where i saw the best display of military pomp and show. It was really comical to see amry men of 6.5 feet exchanging fake angry expression with men from other side. Got to see some part of pakistan and the feeling was patriotism only grew more electifying as the cermonies progressed. [/FONT]​

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

For more trip reports please visit www.freebirds.co.in
  2. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    The Sikhs are very generous people.. I spent 3 days sleeping and eating with the pilgrims. For the holiest of thier holy sites, I'm was amazed at how close I could get to the center of their religion.

Thanks for showing!
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent!! Thanks for posting the link :thumb
  4. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Bump !!
  5. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    I LOVE the Golden temple in Amritsar. I have stayed there sseveral times. It was my favorite religous site anywhere until I went to the shrine in Mashad Iran.

Hmm, how long would it take you to ride from Delhi to Mashad? Go on I dare you! :deal
  6. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

Approx 2733 Miles from India to Iran will take about 15 easy riding days. I would, someday, and then i will post a pic to you :ricky
  7. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Great trip, Chanderjeet. I was at the Golden Temple in 1983, just a few months before it was stormed by the military and subsequent closing of the Punjab to westerners.

I've seen the Beat the Retreat on TV and I thought it was hilarious! Great entertainment!

Always look forward to your India TR's.
  8. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:

:thumb It's good riding around there. The Mashad city traffic is awful though. Also there are millions of Afgan war refugees that they really aren't set up to handle.

Hey Chanderjeet I'm going to be in India in December. If you are free maybe I can buy you a lassie.
  9. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Done....Lassie on you, Steamy hot spicy Lunch on me ?
  10. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    I was born n 1983, and it wasnt till 2006 that i stumbled upon a internet site about indian military storming the temple. I read though the whole document and damned to whatever happened. The beat the retreat at Wagah is a bit funny but its revives a whole lot of patriotism if you're an indian.
  11. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:

What would it cost to buy a decent dual sport in India sufficient enough to tour the country?
  12. Cooltours

Cooltours Rider of passion

Oddometer:

WTF is that?!?! A pile of 200+ chicks or what..?? ​
  13. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Hey, I like your ride report format. Nice report!
  14. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    Excellent. I'll see you mid- December. I'll only be in Delhi for a day or two around the 12th and again around the 30th. But definitely long enough for lunch with the Jeetman! :clap
  15. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    The place i have in mind, isnt too hip and happenin'. infact its one of the oldest restaurants in town, speliazing in Mughlai and Indian Cuisine. The decor Sucks~ but the FOOD is FANTASTIC.
  16. gothamAlp

gothamAlp happy to be here

Oddometer:
    dang. right now i would KILL for a real authentic spicy indian lunch like the ones they used to feed me every day when i was in kerala. butter chicken, fresh chapatis, real dal, the best damn biryani you've ever had, fresh pomegranates and yogurt for desert...

that's one of the drawbacks of living where i do, in northern arizona... all that good indian food is far, far away.

have been enjoying your ride reports, c'jeet... keep 'em coming.

:thumb
  17. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Can't wait. I haven't been in India in years. Really looking forward to it.
  18. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    I went to that restaurant after coming back from Fort Neemrana last week. It was as it is.............AMAZING that is. Spicy hot quickly served indian food costed Rs.180 for two people. Thats exactly 4 US Dollars.