Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Update on these tires, still going strong and showing very little wear, Unfortunately I haven't been able to get as many miles on them as I wanted, but the miles I did get on them are mostly very rugged terrain, big rocks, roots, hill climbs and such, and they've been awesome. The front still feels a bit too aggressive for a big bike, but I'm sure a much better rider would love the feel they give to the steering when offroad.
    SNOMED likes this.
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didnt pursue them because not tubeless and Im still recovering from broken ankle and havent been riding much :-)
    Shame, I would have liked to.
    mslow likes this.
  3. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good write up. Thanks.
    mslow likes this.
  4. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any reports on longevity of the 723? Are they a 2000 mile tire or a 6000 or.....? Considering a set for my 990.
  5. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on how you ride. I got about 1500 miles out of the D-908 and the GT is about the same, but better traction.
  6. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty mellow riding two up with the wife on board but we tend to get well off the beaten path be it slowly.

I've found other tires disappointing off pavement in mud etc. Hoping for a tire much better in the dirt than the likes of the Mitas E07, Mefo Super Explorer or Shinko 805 we've used in the rear or the E07 and Shinko 804 up front. The 804 isn't to bad. I did like the MT21 up front and might go back to it.
  7. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping for a bit more, although riding the old coal mines around me definitely eats tires quick.
    I imagine in the terrain most people ride, they should last pretty long.
    They still look great after a bunch of off-road rides that made my tkc start to chunk and fall apart like this after only 500 miles:

Attached Files:

Moby1 likes this.
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mslow - how many miles do you have on them so far? Would you predict these are at least worthy of 3,500 miles or more? Any recent pics of the 723 showing how they have held up?
  9. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the winter along with being ridiculously busy at work has really slowed me down. I'll be putting a lot of miles on them in the upcoming months, so I'll report back then.
    PoleRbear and KTM Mike like this.
  10. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah winter is dragging on its icy grip here in northern Michigan as well. I suspect you are a few weeks ahead of us though - so get out there and start racking up some miles!:D

Im really intrigued with these for a more aggressive tire to use on my 990.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    golden had a display at Atlanta sx lay weekend. i pushed on one of the rear tires and thought it might file in half , from one finger. wow
  12. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that on a GT723, or a different model of tire? (perhaps one built for a light weight SX bike?) The 723 is supposedly built for the big ADV bikes.
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    mslow - any update? Hopefully youve been able to get some more miles on them by now.
  14. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I have, but this weekend I'll be putting them to the test and comparing them in the same place that uncovered the weakness of the Motoz Tactionator Adventures; Pea gravel over hardpack. When I had the TA's on this same ride last year, the front skated across everything. It was as if the tread blocks were so big that they couldn't find grip in the small gravel and cinder, only if it were either loose and deep or if it was paved.

I did have the 723's out in sand last weekend and they performed flawlessly, even in the deep sugar sand.
    The front found bite everywhere & the rear had enough traction to get started from a dead stop in deep sand with barely spinning up, try that with a TKC 80!
    PB001.jpg PB002.jpg
  15. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Update 2017-04-10
    I rode in an organized group ride on 4/8, same exact ride I did last year on the 950 with the MotoZ Tractionator Adventures and I think this pretty much sums up the difference: Traction Everywhere!

On the same places the MotoZ skated, the 723 found traction, and gave up very little on the asphalt even in spite of the aggressive knobby pattern in the front. I tested the tire on a few nasty loose hill climbs and the rear never gave up, I was even able to start back up in a steep, very loose wash out with very little spin, obviously you need to really work the clutch but the tires found traction every time. The front would go anywhere you pointed it, even out of water filled ruts in mud, it would just climb right out of them.
    On 4/9 I put the tires to the test once again in the same area where we ride and train on our woods bikes. While I didn't get to dive into the gnarly single track, I did beat on the AT through some big rock gardens, sandy and silty wash outs, about a mile of mud and ruts and even did my best Dakar impression on one of the two track trails having the bike sideways at over 70mph (78 to be exact), rooster tail of silt behind me, front tire stayed straight and true and the rear did exactly what you asked of it.

Seriously, these tires are expensive and hard to get, but I don;t see myself using anything else in the near future. If anything I might look for a less aggressive front for the longer rides on asphalt, gravel and mild dirt, but for now the front stays too.

Oh, one last thing, you will need to either raise your front fender or do the high fender conversion if you use the front tire often. The knobs are really tall and the space if tight between the fender and knobs. Although they cleared mud well and I didn't have any issues like others with mud packing in the fender.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  16. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles do you have on them, and how are they wearing? These tires sound really perfect for my needs on my 690..
  17. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    As of now I believe i have about 1200 miles on them so far and the rear still has at least 75% left. The front's barely look worn.
    That being said, most of my miles are offroad, in gravel, sand, dirt or rocks. I try to stay off the pavement whenever possible. I bought the tires for the intended use. Lyndon reported 6000 miles on them, of course they were spent and cords showing, and he's also supernatural..
    Also, it depends on your taste, some guys get rid of tires when they are barely 50% worn, I'm like that on my enduro bike, others like to get every mile possible out of it.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  18. lostdogproducts

lostdogproducts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set of these for my KTM 1190 adventure. Not the "R" model but the 19" - 17" wheeled bike. Planning on a nice trip with some friends this summer to Montana from Washington State. Maybe 10 days or so with a balance of street and dirt. I will post pictures and do a test report as to how well they perform on the street as well. A good set of tires is a big deal for safety when riding these bigger bikes off road and a rally tire should have that covered very well.
    Dr Fixit and mslow like this.
  19. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Good choice, I'm curious to hear what you think of the front tire on the street, the 21" is a little squirrelly but better than the MotoZ for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  20. mountainG

mountainG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good write up about the performance by mslow, I agree with his findings of grip on these, at least the rear, front yet to be tried.

I used the rear for a trip to Morocco last year on a 690.
    First off I bought the 723 and fitted it to a wr450, took it to the iomTT (road work, stony trails, and mud) and then rode 400 miles home on the road, did some other trail riding before selling the bike. The wr speedo was the vaguest thing known to man, so my mileage on it is a guess, but at least 1000 miles. I was so impressed with the grip and wear rate I kept the tyre and fitted it to a 690 for a Morocco trip. the trip was around 2000 miles consisting of 40/60 road/offroad. Most of the off road was pretty stony (despite the dune riding photo) , and the tyre took a lot of abuse at speed over rough stuff. Back home, and after a fair amount of road work and muddy local trails it was finally done.... total mileage on the 690 was 4000 + 1000 on the wr = 5000 minimum.
    I could have rode it for a bit longer as it was still gripping despite being only 1-2 mm in the centre, but I dare not risk the points and a fine!
    I'm using a Super Explorer at the moment as the gt723 rear had increased from £89 to £125 plus shipping for the rear!? But I would definitely buy the 723 again for a desert trip though, its a proper tough tyre.