Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, not everyone lives as close to the "good stuff" as you may, or has multiple bikes shod with different tires for different purposes. Tire wear is a legitimate concern for many. *I* have to drive to get to anything remotely interesting...*I* own exactly one motorcycle.

I'm fine paying a premium for a good tire that lasts but changing tires isn't that hard and I see no point in paying 1.5-2x as much for the same life as many other tires. Much like bike/gear choices, everyone has their opinions/reasons for choosing what they do, sorry for expressing mine. Guess we'll see if they make the 823 in my size but it seems they're concentrating on the "big bikes" with that tire. I burned through a 723R rear in ~2000 miles which happened in the space of a couple weeks on 2 trips, then put on a 723 and I don't see any reduction in grip, both on and off the street but I'm seeing a HUGE improvement in wear with the 723, so yeah, I'm bummed the 723R may (will?) be the only choice in my size.
    Liuk likes this.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    That's fair.

The 690/701 is such a unique bike in that one can ride it like a street bike, or very nearly in the same style, and it can rip in the dirt. Hard to find a tire that does it well AND sells well. I'm wondering if Goldentyre just wasn't seeing enough sales of the 723? It's probably safe to say that Goldentyre is seeing the piles of big ADV bike sold and is willing to cater to a much bigger share of the market.

That said, 2k miles out of a grippy, knobby tire on a beast of dirt bike that sees tarmac is pretty good in my book. Perhaps another tire manufacturer will step in and fill the void?
    dstutz likes this.
  3. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, time for an update:
    GT723 rear (GOP4016) with 1,217 miles (~.300" tread depth):
    [​IMG]
    GT723R Front (GOP4024 90/100) with 2,937 miles (didn't measure tread depth...plenty there, but lots of cupping)
    [​IMG]

The previous GT723R rear with 1,720 miles (some areas .1"...some .2"ish):
    [​IMG]

I think I'll purchase another GOP4024 front, and a GOP4016S rear (doesn't appear to be 4016 anymore?) sooner than later while I can, wait out GoldenTyre to see if they keep making the GOP4016 or not and hopefully get some input on the 823 (if it fits 690/701?).
  4. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    At what point are you changing your rear 723R?

Mine looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm about to embark on a 250+ all day dual sport ride in the desert on my 690. The tire should hold up, yah?
  5. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    It'll hold up fine, the side knobs do a lot of the work in sand
    Pcfly and BobcatSig like this.
  6. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure where to post this, but since I have a set of 723's mounted to my 690, maybe this is a most appropriate thread?

So yesterday I took the bike to work, and somewhere on the way home I got a flat. But here is the odd thing (aside from it being the first flat I've had in 40-years), the front tire was completely flat and the bike handled fine.

Not just, oh shit the tire's flat let me get off the road in a controlled manner, but more like 60-mph on the highway for 15-minutes with the front tire completely flat.

To be clear, I'm 100% certain it wasn't flat when I left in the morning, as I checked the tire pressure to see how bad it was (the bike hadn't been out in a few months due to winter and shitty weather, and it was low, but it had air. Then I got distracted by a low battery and I forgot to bring the tires to full pressure - I know, excuses...). And by the time I got home, the bead was completely broken and I could take the valve stem and spin it my hand (it's completely detached from the tube).

Also I definitely noticed the handling changing as I was riding home, especially at lower speeds before I got on the highway and also on the on-ramp , but it never felt wobbled, or pulled in a direction - it just tracked like normal.

I can't overstate how surprised I am by this, as the last flat sent me ass-over tea kettle on my XR500 as the tire slipped from one side of the rim and pitched me off at 40-mph.

So how about that?
    :dunno
  7. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty amazing story! I've never personally tested the front tire when it was flat but it sounds like the sidewalls were stiff enough to keep seated on the bead, that's a good thing for sure.
    Glad you weren't hurt!
    sprouty115 likes this.
  8. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, so am I... FWIW, I'm not a fan of the rear tire due to on-road howl, but I may have found my permanent front tire!
    Sweedegravel and BobcatSig like this.
  9. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Heh, I dig it. I love the 723 fatty front. I hear you about the rear. Mine tried to kill me when I picked up a pallet nail. I was lucky to get it off the road as I did. Totally de-beaded and even moved the rim strip, which later gave me the second flat of the day.

[​IMG]
    sprouty115 likes this.
  10. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys might be running the 723R, I've never tried that one since they only have a 140 and I run a 150
  11. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I called it on the front 90/100-21 GT723R (GOP4024) at ~4,250 miles. Pictured with fresh 90/90-21 GT723 (GOP4018) for comparison:
    [​IMG]

I'll have pictures/mileage of the rear after I get that swapped out. The rear still has some miles on it as far as I'm concerned but I'm going on a 1000 mile trip and just want the fresh rubber. These are run on a Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
  12. Foo Bar

Foo Bar Semper Fi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. As another 701 rider with these tires, what would you guess your on-road/off-road percentage mix? I’m only about 1.5k miles on mine with plenty of tread left.
  13. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not gonna say 50/50...but a pretty good amount, big trip through WV, rocky PA and VA mountains riding, several trips to sandy/gravel pine barrens in NJ, some mixed surface riding locally.
    When I'm riding in crappy stuff I'm typically @ 15 psi...I run these tires with Tubliss.
    Foo Bar likes this.
  14. Foo Bar

Foo Bar Semper Fi Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only have half the mileage you're looking for on my GT723, but I wouldn't hesitate to run these tires for a trip that long. I've paired mine with Michelin UHD tubes. Still, for a trip that long, I'd have redundancy and spares for all consumable parts, just in case. I'm a fan of the tire and would certainly buy again.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine with either a 723 or 723R front (the Rs are softer). You should stick with a 723 for the rear and you should make the whole trip with knobs left.
    BobcatSig and PYG RYDR like this.
  16. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sake of reference, these pics are of a 723 Adventure rear (NOT the "R"), with 4,684 miles on it. On KTM 990, mostly two up, roughly 50% to 60% paved use. Fairly easy riding. It still did surprisingly good off pavement, though clearly not as good as when new. I did push this longer than I usually do in terms Of wear, but am very happy with it. I don't have pics of the front, but it currently has about 5,500 miles on it. It's toast, but sort of useable still. Chiseling of knobs not horrible. The knobs that are two side by side way worn down. IMG_20190519_154940018.jpg IMG_20190519_154925810.jpg IMG_20190519_154836970.jpg
    rev.co, Pcfly, PYG RYDR and 1 other person like this.
  17. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front I just swapped out was the GT723R fatty...I liked it a lot. I ran through a GT723R rear and somewhat through a GT723 with that same front. Just look at the part #s to confirm which tire but from what I've seen the sites selling them do a reasonable job of listing them differently.

So I started with a GOP4024 and GOP4025...burned through the rear in a few weeks I believe in <2000, put on a GT723 140/80-18 I got off ebay that was slightly older stock that I believe they're not making anymore (I think a GOP4016), and just now am putting on the 4018/4016S combo which is a regular GT723 front/rear combo in stock sizes for 690/701.

GT is def changing things up with the new 823 coming out...

GT723 Front:
    90/90-21 TLS 54H - P/N [GOP4018]
    120/70-R19 TLS 60H - P/N [GOP4019]

GT723 Rear:
    140/80-18 TLS 71R- P/N [GOP4016S]
    150/70-18 TLS 70H - P/N [GOP4020]
    170/60-R17 TLS 72H - P/N [GOP4021] NEW

GT723R Front:
    P/N [GOP4024] 90/100-21 TT 57R

GT723R Rear:

140/80-18 TT 71R- P/N [GOP4025]
    CaseyB and PYG RYDR like this.
  18. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead.

Oddometer:
    I'm interested to see what sizes the 823's end up being produced in...............and also feedback from guys here once they arrive. We're moving to Wyoming around September (or next spring if things here get delayed too long). I'll be 'semi-retired' and am planning on doing a ton of DS riding on a big thumper or two (DR650 and/or a Plated XR650R, or maybe a TE610) in Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado as time permits over the next few years. These Golden Tyre meats are on my short list for the thumper(s) along with some of the more aggressive Motoz Tractionator offerings.
    BobcatSig and mslow like this.
  19. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I managed to get 1 90/90-21 TLS 54H - P/N [GOP4018] 18 months ago and there has been no stock since.
    Best tyre Ive used and want more :(
  20. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many do you want? They seem readily available here in the US. I ordered my new front/rear on May 10 and they came right away. RMATV shows 5+ in stock. Got some friends and want a batch shipped over?