Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just one!
    Ive been using the Motoz tyres and they are crap compared to the GT.
    The importer promises that the 823 will be in stock by September.
    Its mid winter so I can wait, assuming they do turn up when he says.

Dont know anyone that wants a TL like myself, most others work with the Scorpion Rally's running tubes but thanks very much for the offer :thumb
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    @dstutz are you the tall guy that was at the Smokin Hole Rally? If you did the Saturday hard ride, then you can attest to the abuse that was handed to these tires and how they performed.
  3. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, did the Sat "hard" and did the Sunday ride you led. I asked you about your ADV name cause of this thread and these tires :) Yup!
    mslow likes this.
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    It sounds like most big ADV bike tire sizes will come out yet. Not sure on what, exactly.

In the meanwhile, slap on a set or two of the 723; I think you'll like them a great deal. And you'll get a good feeling for what's in store with the 823.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  5. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    First off.....this is a tire opinion thread so right there we have ourselves a tomato throwing contest :zilla That being said, I’ve had some great rides on these 723 when used on med & big bikes on sand, loose dirt and some rocks. Not bad on rocky type light to med gravel as well. It seems to do well in rocky stuff but I’d prefer a MotoZ Tractionator on really rocky stuff or lots of street/Hwy with hundreds of miles between dirt etc only from the aspect of it being a stiffer and more hard rubber type tire. That said, the 723 for a lot of street use seems to wear fairly quickly, at least for me.

Again, lots of variables, no tire is perfect but I think when used to it’s strength these tires kick ass. Just saying. :dunno
    BobcatSig and KTM Mike like this.
  6. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires are always a compromise. What's absolutely best in dirt won't be on pavement. It boils down to what are your individual priorities for tire performance.

In my case, I place greater priority on how it does off pavement. I'm willing (within reason) to push my compromise towards the pavement. Having gotten 4600 miles on a rear 723, I really can't complain on longevity. My rational is im more likely to run into a condition where tires are a deciding factor off pavement. On pavement I can slow down such the short comings are manageable.

Having said that, prior to hearing of the 823 coming, I was seriously considering the Motoz Tractionator Adventure. It sounds like the 823 will not be available in time for a trip I have planned for later this summer. I'll likely try the TA.
  7. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    And here's the rear:
    [​IMG]

New tire measured 13mm, take-off was 4.4mm in the middle (2,521 miles).

A couple weekends ago I did Durty Dabbers Dual Sport ride which was 2 days in central PA...it was very muddy...this tire held up just fine (the worn front was a little wishy-washy...wish I had switched that out). I was worried going in but ended up pleasantly surprised by the rear's performance. I never thought I was getting stuck once...just one hill climb I attempted but didn't make it up that a lot of guys on enduro bikes also didn't manage.

Honestly, for me, this tire still has some good miles on it but as I stated before on the post about the front, I'm about to do a longer trip. Still not super great mileage for me, so I must either be hard on the throttle or it's cause I run at 15 psi a little more often than not (but not on the interstate). That one knob, kinda in the center of the picture, is the only one that lost a chunk. I've been doing a lot of rocky riding the last several hundred miles and that's the only major damage so they hold up well to hard terrain even if they're not made for it. Overall still happy with the tires (this is my third rear and second front). They're good on the street, never had an "oh shit" moment, and I think they're good in most terrain: rocks, gravel, deep sand, mud. I think I'm going to try the new Motoz RallZ next to compare another tire...I assume by the time I wear these out towards the end of the summer more places will be stocking my sizes. If not, there's always the Desert H/T. I've only used the stock TKC-80 and these GT723 which are a bit pricey. Riding in the Pine Barrens recently with a buddy of mine on a WR250R and he's got ~$100 a PAIR Kenda K270 50/50 tires and he was keeping up just fine :)...just makes me want to taste the other flavors out there.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a retailer that has the 723 Adv (the original, not the R or S) 150/70/18 and some 21 fronts in stock?
  9. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    If you're not finding them on Rocky Mountain or MotoSport, they'll likely be hard to find. I know those two retailers bought the remaining stock from the us retailer, but I could be thinking of the 216 & 333.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  10. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I tried the MotoZ TA but it was the first generation. I hear they got much better. The front tire I had was downright dangerous. It followed every seam or groove in the pavement and was terrible offroad. I took it off and threw it out after only 500 miles. It was so bad I wouldn't even give it to a friend. They fixed that issue with the Gen2 and then released the RallZ. The rear was ok, but weighed a ton and chunked so bad in the first few rides I had to send pictures to them. There were chunks the size of quarters missing with delaminations. Again, that was the first iteration and I hear they are much better.
    MotoZ uses really good rubber compound with lots of natural rubber, so the tires should last a while. My buddy just laced up the MotoZ GPS as a 80/20 tire and likes them so far.

Definitely interested to see how they perform, but I'm always looking to try a new tire for hard off-road abuse.
    BobcatSig and KTM Mike like this.
  11. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where from?
  12. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I looked a few days ago. Nothing in the original Adventure in my size. (150/70/18) I'll have to check again!
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    i checked Motosport again. The only fronts are 19". Rear all the have is 140/18, and 17". I need 21" front and a 150/18 rear. Damn
  14. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Muuuuuuch happier with GT723 Combo over R in the wear dept. Put the set on right before my trip to do KAT in KY, did almost 1200 miles and the tires look great! 8-9mm still on the rear center lugs. Did a bunch of paved twisties and never felt any squirming...wasn't pushing 100% but wasn't taking it easy either. So at least for me I don't feel I need the softer/grippier R compound and like the longer wear.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    mslow likes this.
  16. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    And some pics to go with previous #s:

Rear:
    [​IMG]

Front (still almost see the indentations in the knobs!):
    [​IMG]
  17. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Had an interesting update to add to this thread.
    I like to think I ride pretty aggressively on my big bike and always attack rock gardens, sometimes with complete reckless abandon.
    I tried out the GT216 Fatty in front to see if there was a big difference from the GT723 standard front.
    Here's my opinion on each:
    On-road handling. The 723 turns in much easier and retains the stock handling characteristics whereas the 216 fatty turns in quite a bit slower. Interestingly enough though, I felt the 216 actually felt better leaned over than the 723, once you got it there. Maybe the compound is that much softer that it felt more locked into the turn. That being said, I think the 723 is a better tire to click off some road miles mostly because it will last longer. But the fact the 216 wears faster actually made the center knobs wear more evenly so you didn't get that headshake at high speeds like all other knobbies will give you. Total toss up on which is better for those miles you have to put on the road.
    Off-road handling. This is where it's a really tough choice. The 723 is incredible in any terrain you'll encounter. In rocks, it holds a line and is extremely puncture resistant. It claws its way through off-camber trails without drama, clears mud extremely well and feels stable in deep sand. The 216 is absolutely insane in rock gardens. You can attack them without beating yourself or the bike up because the fatty tire offers a great deal of absorption on those sharp edge rocks. It stays in line in the rocks and doesn't get that twitchy feeling so many other tires get. This is a great thing in the rocks but can be a bit scary in rutted out trails because those side knobs will literally climb you right out of a rut where you might be used to feeling the front tire follow the rut. I personally like this but others might not. The 216 does not care about mud, it's like it doesn't even exist. It clears so fast and digs so deep that it never feels like it's breaking traction. In sand it performed extremely well, probably because it's much fatter than a standard tire, it floats on the sand very well.
    Off road is a toss up as well, I love both of them but what I learned is that you really don't give up anything in switching from one to the other, so experiment a bit and see what you like better. Oh, they're both DOT approved (actually ALL Goldentyre tires are)

Interesting thing about the rear tire. This has nothing to to with traction though, because it's obvious that they kick ass in that department.
    At the end of last season, I was co-organizer at a rally and while out riding, I got a puncture from a drywall screw in my rear tire. No big loss because the tire was completely spent anyway.
    I had a brand new rear with me that I planned to mount up for the final day's carnage but I had some administrative stuff to take care of for the event and didn't have time to switch out the tire at that time. A buddy said he would take care of it for me so I left the bike with him and went about my business.
    I came back and he had it all mounted up, ready to go, but told me he only had a standard tube with him and didn't know where I kept my extra tubes. When I say standard, I mean the exact tube that they come with, the ones that are about as thick as a plastic bag.
    Anyway, no big deal, I just figured I'd take it easy and I'll be fine. Well, I forgot about the tube and have been riding the bike harder than I ever have and didn't remember until I went to mount a 50/50 tire for an upcoming ride this weekend. Pulled it out and was like, Oh Shit, that's the crappy stock tube!
    My point here is that the rear tire is tougher than any tire I've ever used. It lasted the entire end of last season and the beginning of this season with about 1500 miles of hard offroad abuse without a puncture or spinning on the rim. That's a true testament to these tires and maybe even a good reason to not use anything more than a regular heavy duty tube, maybe even a standard tube and not have to worry about it.

Just my experience of course, you may have different results.
  18. Sweedegravel

Sweedegravel Ridefulness

Oddometer:
    03B58DCA-20E2-49AF-9A72-CB267D9DB5BB.jpeg Just replaced this GT 723 rear on my KTM 690 E. I got 4375 miles out of it on about 60% gravel roads and 40 % paved twisties. Quite happy with the durability
    rev.co, PYG RYDR, mslow and 1 other person like this.
  19. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    moto74 likes this.
  20. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guess I need to start using tire sealant with my Tubliss setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leakin worse than the Titanic...So much for being a "tubeless" tire.