Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    From punctures? Or around bead or spokes or??? It appears punctures?
  2. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's just leaking through the rubber all over the place around the whole tread. Some sites list the 140/80-18 as tube/tubeless, some are tube only and if that's the case the carcass itself isn't designed to be 100% air-tight so that might be my problem. I've heard that's a problem with dirt tires + Tubliss as they are definately tube-type tires. I'm gonna go to Walmart and pick up some Slime to try.
  3. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is your specific tire marked as tubeless?
  4. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Put in 4oz of blue-label Slime yesterday...lost maybe 1psi overnight? Might be temperature related. Need to keep an eye on it. Sent an email to GT west and I got "That doesn't look normal. Did you ride any long distance in hot weather?"
    PYG RYDR and JerseyJeeper like this.
  5. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little more back and forth and I'm apparently getting a new tire sent to me. Never actually asked for one, but can't say I'm not happy. Honestly I just want a tire to hold air one way or the other. Back when I owned an 03 SV1000 I don't think I ever finished a rear tire in 36k miles without a plug in it, but this is obviously a little different.

RE Slime: Saw a little more pressure drop than is likely temp related, but also riding the bike a little more and probably coating the tire so I'm curious if it will still sort of "do the job".

As an aside, if anyone was curious like I was about the 723 vs 723S: "The 723S is just an updated version of the 723 in 140/180-18 to an S speed rating and better stability at high speed".
    JerseyJeeper and PYG RYDR like this.
  6. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to a camp and ride over Columbus Day weekend and at the end of rocky, nasty trail we paused so the guy in front of me could zip tie his DRZ back together. I checked my tires and the rear was completely flat. Popped in a plug and pumped it back up. At that point the tire stopped slowly losing air. This picture is from yesterday, I guess the whole I plugged was a bigger one and then the tire holding air is forcing the slime out to fill all my tiny little cracks? Probably should change it but I don't have anything super important coming up so I'll just see what happens.

[​IMG]
    JerseyJeeper and PYG RYDR like this.
  7. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    Any update on the gt823? It’s supposed to replace the gt723? I think I want one.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  9. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here! Though meanwhile while I've been waiting for the 823, I've fallen in love with the Motoz RallZ....but it's so damn loud on pavement, my wife complains every time we ride two up.
    rev.co and dolphins13 like this.
  10. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Few posts above I linked to GoldenTyre latest catalogue.
    723 and 823 are both there. My feeling is that 823 is more targeted towards big bikes.
    dolphins13 likes this.
  11. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last I knew it was not being shipped to the
    US. And yes, it's big bike oriented. Which I like!
  12. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    So the gt723R is good for a 690?
    The gt823 is for bigger than 690’s?
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily. Id say it should be great on a 690. It's available in the appropriate size I believe. Unless of course you're in the US.
    PYG RYDR and dolphins13 like this.
  14. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I emailed Dax (he's the Goldentyre West rep. ) And asked for an update on the 823. Here is his response:

"I haven't heard anything yet. I would guess that it will be 2020 at the earliest."

In an email exchange I had with him this summer it seems the delay is due to the tarrifs pricing them out of the competitive point in the market.
  15. Bali Davo

Bali Davo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New awesome tire : the new and much improved ; Goldentyre GT823 Adventure (replaces 723) .., but no sizes in 17” ..,

I emailed Goldentyre asking why ? ..,
    and they commented back that ;

“Goldentyre think there are not enough f800GS/f850GS riders worldwide who’d be interested enough for them to warrant spending $80,000 making a tire mould to suit the f800GS”

All - f800GS/ f850GS riders !!!
    ..., Please Please Please
    email Goldentyre ,
    .., and let them know they are wrong , and that you would be interested in this type of tire and beg them to make that 17” tire mould to suit our bikes .

Send emails to : [email protected]

Tire info ; https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ride360.org/amp/goldentyre-new-big-bike-tyres-in-2019

Other 17” rear adventure bikes afaik, also include the Kawasaki KLR650 , Suzuki DR650 , Honda NC750X

Please share to other groups to spread the word and to convince Goldentyre to make this tire in our 17” version
  16. rev.co

rev.co more will than skill

Oddometer:
    Just wearing out my gt723 rear now and have a fresh set of Rallz that I can’t wait to mount.. I have run a motoz xtreme hybrid before and it was outstanding, but the loudest thing I’ve ever heard on pavement.. I can see how the rallz s could make some noise. The Gt723 was the perfect tire on my 690.. I never had a single complaint- amazing traction off road or leaned over on pavement, and it was remarkably quiet for most of its 4000 miles. If the motoz don’t compare favorably, it ls back to the Goldentyre s and I’ll just deal with the price and availability issues. I don’t even consider anything else at this point.
    dolphins13 and KTM Mike like this.
  17. rev.co

rev.co more will than skill

Oddometer:
    Just did a ~1000 mile trip a couple weeks ago on my 690 through NC, GA, TN and AL, including sections of sm500+ and seat.. 5 days of hammering mountain twisties, mud, steep rocks, gravel and single track and this gt723 never missed a beat. Btw, it had nearly 3000 miles Before I left.. , and was still better in every way than a fresh tkc80(which was thrashed in 1400 miles)... I’d still trust it for another 500 miles of moderate off road or 1000 ‘get home’ miles.. Only tire I’ve run that was close was the motoz xtreme hybrid- great off road traction and mileage, but the tall profile and odd tire pressures made it sketchy on pavement. B0034724-DAAB-421C-B753-CA9346BFC386.jpeg
    BobcatSig and KTM Mike like this.
  18. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a gt723 and a gt723R? The gt723R is supposed to be a better version of the gt723? Any real life opinions other than the manufacturer about the difference?
  19. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The R is softer...didn't last nearly as long on my 701 as the non-R. The front still help up OK.
    dolphins13 likes this.
  20. nzrian

nzrian renegade master

Oddometer:
    I put the R on the back, liking it a lot so far with tubliss.

2019 ktm 500.
    Man it's a tall tire though.

IMG_20191113_200239.jpg
    dolphins13 likes this.