Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, I am super hard on any tire and not a good one to go by for wear predictions

Second, I have yet to wear one out, I end up wearing fronts out faster. A KTM 1290 is a heavy bike with a lot of power, great brakes, and a skinny 21 inch front tire. Something has to give and for me at least front tires are the consumable weak link.

That said the RallZ front Desert HT rear is the best combination I have ever run. I have put over 3000 mile on them before the front knobs get too tapered from braking and at that point I still had plenty of knob left on the rear. That is double the life I get from a TKC80.
  2. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    This has to be a joke right? The TKC80 better than the 723?
    I'll assume your idea of riding hard and mine are different. Everything here is rocks, roots and very little loam or dirt. Tkc can not handle the abuse of the rocks. I've used the HT before, decent tire but the deep knobs don't do anything but throw roost, they don't work in wet roots, deep ruts and pure rock trails, not as good as the 723 anyway.
    Again, it's all on how you ride, but you're literally the first person I've ever heard say that a tkc80 is better than anything other than a street tire.
    grace, Pcfly and rev.co like this.
  3. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never said once that a TKC80 was a good tire.
  4. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I emailed Dax (Goldentyre West distributor) looking for an update on the status of the 823 coming to the US. His response was "Summer - I am trying to get a few but they are hard to come by at the moment"

So there may be hope! If thats the case, Im hoping the RallZs currently on my 990 hurry up and wear out. ! (though it does not look like they will). Now I need the snow to melt and to get back to riding.
    mslow likes this.
  5. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Yup, and I'm in need of something decent for a trip in May. RallZ it is.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  6. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI - two years and about 2k miles and my rear has split/cracking at every-other knobby on both sides.

20200609_124336.jpg 20200609_124319.jpg

Not saying this would explode and kill me, but it's coming off. I need my bike inspected and this caused it to fail.
  7. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing. i think that it's trying to tell you ride more than 2k miles in two years. :muutt
    mslow, sprouty115 and Foo Bar like this.
  8. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, yes that probably true. But about two years ago, I bought a 40+ year old BMW airhead, that until recently, refused to let me stop working on it.
    Anders- likes this.
  9. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    What is the date stamp? The first GT723 rear I purchased was 3 years old before it got to me.
  10. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Really? Will, check tomorrow. Hadn't considered that might be the issue.
  11. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    Mine was a 2017 when I got it in 2020. It’s still a great tire 2000 miles later.
    sprouty115 and moto74 like this.
  12. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    I wasn't suggesting it as the direct cause... I guess it could be a factor along with a bunch of other variables. If you are really bored you could read this opinion;
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/tire-cracks.1355120/#post-36553303
  13. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted some pictures of my (723S) rear last year leaking air like a sieve from all over. I contacted GT and they sent a replacement that I haven't put on yet but it had the exact same date code as the one I had on the bike, IIRC it was 3017 so Late July almost 3 years ago at this point. I think they've stopped making them and are just selling out old stock. I've had multiple 723 (723, 723R, 723S) rears start cracking like that. I fully expect the "new" one I have to do the same when it goes on. Curious if the 823 will be made in compatible size for me and if it will have the same issues. Longer lasting tire doesn't do much good if it won't "last" in other ways than tread depth. I will say I've put them through some nasty rocky low pressure work at times and haven't had any true "failures" so that's good.
  14. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately my bike spends most of it's time on pavement and I'm a big guy, so I'm not doing the tire any favors.

As @dolphins13 says, it's a good tire. I was concerned about how loud it was on the street initially, but it got a bit quieter over time, but it seems to wear like iron and offers impressive grip on the road. Not to mention how well it handled the flat I had at the front.

So there's a lot to like about it. My post was really just for information, and to suggest maybe keeping an eye out for any cracking.
  15. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    I agree, it's a good tyre... I've been through a few of them. I've moved away from the rears but still run the 723 fronts.
  16. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @mhr650, firstly, I think the tkc80 is a great tire. still is. it wouldn't still sell well after all these years. part of what makes it great is softer compound and shorter lugs. and that's also what makes it not so great -short life.

I've run a lot of tkc80s and I've been running gt723 and 823 for the last two years and I wholeheartedly agree with @mslow that, gt723 outperforms the tkc80 everywhere, except on the street. one can drag pegs with the tkc80 and gt723\823 definitely do not inspire that kind of confidence on the street. off road, I'm often amazed that, in situations in which I expect to lose traction, the gt keep biting.

my $0.02
  17. dolphins13

dolphins13 orange rules

Oddometer:
    If you air the tire up for the street. It felt as good as the tkc80 on the street to me. But is outstanding on dirt and gravel. And it doesn’t wear out. I hope I don’t get cracking though. And since they charge top dollar. Can’t the tire be an actual new tire. That kind of rubbed me wrong when it came to me 3 years old. But I figured if I only use for one season of 5000 miles or so it shouldn’t matter.
    grace likes this.
  18. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What do You prefer on the rear, now.
  19. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Currently running a Motoz RallZ on the rear and a 723 up front.
    Vargubau likes this.
  20. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    What are your thoughts on the combo?