Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear. I have a set in the garage waiting to be installed on a 690. Sounds like a great tire!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  2. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Two new rears sitting in my garage waiting to be used, but they're lasting much longer than I thought, might be a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  3. surferdude

surferdude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you live in the Seattle area Konflict Motorsports is a Goldentyre distributor and I have these on my 690 and Africa Twin and they rip. I was running the Mitas E09 Dakar on the rear and I loved that 80/20 tire in the dirt and could get 3500 miles out of it but this feels more like a knobby to me and I love it.
    dancecommander and mslow like this.
  4. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Just got my suspension done by Konflict, seriously impressed with the service, turnaround time and the overall time spent explaining the process. They should be the benchmark for how business is done. Same with Camel Tanks and Outback Motortek, all three are doing it right!
    dancecommander and michaeln like this.
  5. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Some more testing of the GT723 from a rally I helped out with. The rear took a pretty deep 3" slice from center to edge of tire and I decided to push it and see how it would hold up. After two days of beating on them in sharp rocks, mud and everything I could throw at them, they never broke down. I believe they are 5 ply tires, but whatever they are, they're super tough.
    In the video, I'm on the red Africa Twin.
    Funny how video makes the rocks look small..

6. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video. The orange/white 950/990 must have been tired given theultiple naps it took. I can't wait to wear out my current tires and mount a set of these.
  7. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Actually two different 990's, and surprisingly they are both very good riders, but that mud was worse than riding in snow and ice.
    Another place the front tire really shined with its super deep knobs. In the exact same spot with the MotoZ TA, I couldn't hold a line. One of those 990's actually had the TA's on it and was having the same issue. The other had TKC 80's on it.
    All things being equal, the 723 just seemed to clear better and dig deeper, the front was like cheating compared to the others.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  8. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    Glad I ordered a set of these for my Africa Twin. I checked with GT support, and they said the 90/100x21 is not tubeless, but the 90/90x21 and 150/70x18 are tubeless. I need tubeless because I installed the Outex kit in my wheels. BTW, Alex at Konflict did my forks too, and I could not be happier with them. I have the TT Explore HP/PDS in the rear.
    Bali Davo and mslow like this.
  9. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I put the suspension to the test this past weekend and it was spot on, no more bottoming out in waterbars or g-outs, feels like a proper dirt bike now.
    michaeln likes this.
  10. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    So has anyone gone thru a set yet? How many miles did you get out of them?

I used these in Death Valley and thought they were great but now back to civilization I took them off and went with a more street like tire. The fronts didn't seem to wear much at all in the week we were in DV but the rears are hard to gauge.
  11. michaeln

Oddometer:
    What more street like tire did you go with?
  12. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    I'm trying some MotoZ Tractionator GPS, similar to a K60 Scout. They're ok, better gas mpg but I'd rather take the K60's personally. I liked the MotoZ Tractionator ADV's better......but again, that's more of an off road choice.
  13. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So if tubeless conversion is a consideration for the africa twin it sounds like the 90/90x21 and 150/70x18 are the size the use. Does this create any fitment issues?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
  14. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    I say this in all honesty, don't get caught by the "tubeless" tire need......it sounds great in theory but works far less in practice. Only advice I can say if you still want to go tubeless is.......bring a tube, tire spools and a pump.:thumb You'll thank me later.
    KTM Mike and mslow like this.
  15. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda in agreement with Pcfly on tubeless. I've considered tubeless conversion for my 990. I spend a good bit of time far off the beaten path. What I've struggled with is the thought of how woukd I seat a bead, should the bead get broken with it going flat. For that reason I've stayed with tubes. While it's a pain, and time consuming, I know I can replace a tube and be good to go, vs stranded.
    Pcfly likes this.
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just carry a spare tube either way.
    If you can just plug and go, that's so much easier. If not, no loss, same as if you were changing the tube anyways with the 30 second addition of removing the valve stem from the wheel...
  17. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good point Bayner. Tube as plan B. If Plan A (plugging it) works, you're ahead of the game.

I may have to reconsider going tubeless on the 990.
    nk14zp likes this.
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    If you are going to carry a tube, better have a bead breaker and tire irons too. Oh, and whatever tools it takes to r&r the wheel.
  19. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Usually punctures in tubeless go down slowly. Not likely to ride the bead off the rim. But if you do, a ratchet strap usually works for reseating the bead.
  20. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    Perfect advice Bayner!

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money or the time to "convert" a non tubeless rim but if you really want to cool! However, so not to be stranded, bring all your tire changing things.