Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. dodgierogie

dodgierogie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    first ride with my 100/90 723 went to the beach in the soft sand and it was awesome and seems fine on the road too and normal speeds :)

IMG_20170601_151853_538.jpg IMG_20170601_151853_535.jpg IMG_20170601_151853_545.jpg
  2. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    dodgierogie, How much room is left on the backside of the front fender using the 100/90 front? A friend said it wouldn't work without a high fender. It looks tight?!
  3. dodgierogie

dodgierogie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its close but it works :)
    Swen13 likes this.
  4. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    Well, rode the GT723s on my favorite twisties this morning. For the street, I don't like 'em. The rear is way too squirmy. Probably works great off-road, but I spend 90% of my time on the street, and the constant squirming around of the rear tire is a deal breaker for me. I have no particular complaint about the front, but that may just be because the rear tire is so distracting.

I am gonna yank 'em with only a couple hundred street miles on them and install the set of Motoz Tractionator GPS I have here waiting. I think those will be better suited to my needs.
  5. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I've ridden them pretty hard on the road and haven't ever felt the rear was squirmy, that's odd that you got that out of the rear and not the front.
    Honestly, if you plan to ride 90% street, you should probably be on an MT90 or something similar.
    But I agree, it is definitely too aggressive for mostly street use, they were designed to be rally tires.
    I'm betting you'll be able to offload them pretty easily, I'd buy them if you were closer!
  6. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying it's a bad tire. Just not the right tire for me. I realize a tire like the MT90 or TKC70 looks ideal. But although I don't ride dirt that often, I have a tendency to get into uhhhh... situations when I do ride in the dirt. So I feel like I need a tire that will be stable on the street but still have a chance of bailing my dumb ass out of those... situations I get into.
    danketchpel, nk14zp and mslow like this.
  7. PropTP

PropTP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the advantage of the 90-100/21 over the standard 90-90/21 tire? Am i correct in that the difference is in the height of the tire?

EDIT: So i googled it and th second numeber in 90-100/21 means that the height of the side-wall of the tire is 100% of the width. So in the real-world what does that do for the bike/handling?
  8. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    No advantage its just a different profile tyre more suited for a different purpose than a 90/90.
    Lots of smaller bikes use the 100/90.
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    81mm (90/09-21) vs 90mm (90/100-21)

so 4.5mm taller side wall. By the time you take into account that all sizes are rough anyhow; especially with knobs, it's the same tire.
    neanderthal likes this.
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just put these on my 690. I'll be loaded up traveling through Northern Quebec for a few weeks. I'll post back with thoughts in 3 weeks or so.
    moto74 likes this.
  11. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Will be interested to hear your feedback. Am on the same bike, and have been keen on these tyres for some time. The (allegedly) stiff sidewall does concern me a bit for trailside puncture repairs esp. solo, given my modest skills. As helpful as it might be, I hope not to hear anything back about that... have a great trip!
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    They weren't that hard to mount. I was only slightly sweating, but they say that's more due to the, ahem, skill level of the tire mounter:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
    moto74 likes this.
  13. Bali Davo

Bali Davo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Coolbanana,

Please let me know how you went with this tire dilemma, and what good choices you find. I have only just heard of the Golden Tires .

I'm an Aussie also, and after years of living abroad, am returning to Australia at the end of the year and going straight to a KTM dealer after getting off the plane, to buy the new 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R. (getting back on a bigger CC bike has been a desire for ages after living in Asia 'scooterland' for so long)

This bike comes with TKC 80's as stock but they don't last that long. So by the time they wear out I will be looking at taking off on fresh tread and doing a trip via Darwin - to / Asia/ India/ Eu/ Africa/ etc .., so I wont have time to experiment with new unknown tires with this bike. I am also disappointed that you mentioned the Golden GT723 are not tubeless :(
  14. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:

The front GT723 has NOW arrived in Australia as tubeless in 90/90-21 and Ive ordered one.
    Rear GT723 150/70-18 tubeless has been around for a little while now.

Im currently using the TA rear and although Im not a fan, its done 7200 kl's and is still good for a while yet!
    The front GT 723 will go on next and I hope its "the one" :-)
    Bali Davo likes this.
  15. Bali Davo

Oddometer:
    Yes true of course , the tube is only the last resort backup.
    AFAIK .., for those that can run the tubeless option (ie; have tubless rims) , it is great to have the ability the run without the extra weight of tubes, while also having the ability to simple plug a leak (if that is all thats required)

Is there anything else I have failed to understand regarding the tube vs. tubeless argument ?

Just one question though guys ; RE - KTM (1090/1190/1290)
    Q - What happens to the Tire Pressure Sensor - when installing a tube into a Tubeless RIM (with sensor) on a KTM super adventure (ie; 1090/1190/1290) ? ..,

Q - Is it necessary to REMOVE the Tire Pressure Sensor from the RIM (as it is rather large in size) > Or can it remain safely attached to the RIM without causing any issues to a TUBE (ie; should a tube be installed for any reason) ?

.., If the Tire Pressure Sensor CAN be left inside the RIM whilst a tube is installed, does the Sensor still function as normal with a tube installed (or not) ?
  16. Bali Davo

Oddometer:
    just found out the 90/90/21 GT723 is tubeless, and the 150/70 GT723 is also tubeless (threads further back mention this)
  17. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    But have only just arrived in Australia, isnt that what you wanted to know?

Question one: Has to be removed completely.
    Q2: See above
    Q3: See above :-)
    Bali Davo likes this.
  18. Bali Davo

Oddometer:
    Cheers thanks CB .., and also good to hear those tires are now in Oz
  19. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to try these on my Husqvarna 701 this weekend .... I sure hope they last longer than the 1400 miles I got out of my rear TKC80.

FWIW, I paid $345 for a 90/90/21 front and 140/80/18 rear from RMATV earlier this week. I live close to their warehouse and order was over $75 so shipping was free for me though :)
    mslow likes this.
  20. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, theyd want to be good at nearly $500 a pair here!