Goldentyre GT 723

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslow, Oct 11, 2016.

1. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woodrow, is you profile pic from the CDR near Kremling CO? I rode through that spot about this time last year.

I've put a few miles on dirt my 723s aired down to 30 front 28 rear. Much better. I'll be doing several days of riding in 2 weeks and will know more then

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    mslow likes this.
  2. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No its actually north of medicine lodge ID. I think at that point we were in MT. CDR is on my bucket list. Rode section 9 in wyoming end of June
    10081.jpeg
    KTM Mike and mslow like this.
  3. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Skootz Kabootz and 1coolbanana like this.
  4. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Very interested in your findings of the 723 vs the scorp front. I currently have a 723 rear and am as happy with it as just about anybody in this thread. Way better compared to the previous e-09 and the mt-21. Which i both think are fine, but just not performing like the 723.

I really like the scorp rally front, it goes just where you point it. And well behaved on asphalt, within limits of course of what you can expect from a knobby. So, again, looking forward to your opinion on how they compare.
  5. TrailRoad

TrailRoad bigger playground

Oddometer:
    I'm in... just got one to replace my tkc80 rear. I won't be able to ride it for a couple weeks as I'm heading out on a street ride and have a set of roadtecs on. But here is what it lools like - a full 1/4 in wider than tkc at the outer knobs. [​IMG]. Going on my 2015 GS
  6. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Just mounted up my third rear and second front tonight. I'm doing a two-day dual sport this weekend and riding with all the little enduro bikes.
    Should be fun, these tires thrive in that environment!
    TrailRoad likes this.
  7. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just finished a 2000 mile ride on the GT723s. LOVE THESE TIRES! Of that 2000 I estimate that about 1200 was off pavement, and 800 on pavement.

The off pavement riding included a bit of everything including well maintained gravel, sandy dirt roads, deep sand trails, rocky trails with rocks from baseball sized on up, some smooth rock, and LOTS of mud and water. Pavement was mostly boring slab between the good dirt, some more twisty bits. Lots of it was wet pavement.

All of the above was done two up on a KTM 990.

First on pavement: I dont expect knobbies to perform like a track tire. I ride smooth and mellow on the wet. With that - absolutely zero issues. When the tires were new, they felt rather squirmy, and tended to drop into corners a bit quickly. As they wore, they were less squirmy, and would hold a nice line in a corner. While I was not dragging pegs, I did get well over onto the outer knobs on the rear, and somewhat onto the outer knobs on the front. Never any issues. No - its not a pavement tire. But, it does to OK for its intended purpose.

Dirt - at first took a bit of getting used to - it was like you could feel them looking for traction! On occasion, you know those cases where a tire slightly lets loose...and you say OH SHIT and expect bad things to happen? Well...they would just grab and go with no drama. Sand sucks on a big bike two up....and yes, it sucked with these tires...they all do. But they did better than expected. Mud - no issues. Great lateral traction. Great hook up. Rocks - no issues. (and I was damn happy to have a steering damper at times!) Gravel - fine. All in all - fantastic off pavement.

Longevity - I will get some pics posted eventually - but my guess in looking at the front is it would go for 4,000 miles and still perform well. Rear - it is certainly worn at a total of 2250 miles on it. But still peforms fine. I would guess it would go for 3,000, but would be declining in performance by then.

I am sold on these tires. I will replace with the same!
  8. MultiDoc

MultiDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I now feel a bit more confident for when I put them on my SE
  9. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    I ran a dual sport today on my africa twin in a group of all small dirt bikes except one other big bike. These tires performed like a true Dakar tire. I was bashing into to rocks all day, quite a few times where I was positive I pinched the tube or ripped the tire. Not a single issue. And they found traction everywhere.
    On one of the long, 3+ mile hill climbs that started out slick with water bars and puddles of mud, then ended up with a huge rock garden, I saw 58mph on the speedo.
    Passed about 11 guys on small two strokes and thumpers and the tires just kept grabbing and going.
    Seriously awesome tires.
    nk14zp and TrailRoad like this.
  10. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Quite disappointed in GoldenTyre.
    At the install, we noticed the rear was leaking at the valve. Sent it back to the dealer, who spoke with GT who suggested to try some SuperGlue to fix it?!
    After refusing that and asking for a replacement, the reply came that they'll do a replacement but the staff is at some fair so it'll take a bit of time. After a week they said they are now at another fair.
    So, in the end, the dealer ordered a new one out of desperation (I was getting pretty vocal as I spent a fortune on these tyres, the season is ending and I have no product for weeks already), which they were very happy to sell him and it's supposed to arrive this week.
    How they can't replace it under warranty but CAN sell a new one is beyond me.
    So at least in Europe, beware, their support sucks big time.

The front, BTW, is on and working very nice.
  11. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry, but I dont understand, if your valve is leaking what has it to do with the tyre???
    If its tubeless then its the valve or the rim, if its tube type its your tube. :dunno
  12. dragos

Oddometer:
    If you followed the thread you would have noticed I'm talking about their FTS series.
    rubber_band likes this.
  13. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, ok, I got it now!
  14. dragos

Oddometer:
  15. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks :(

Put a tube in it :D
  16. dragos

Oddometer:
    The correct reply is: send it back :D
    But that implies a manufacturer that doesn't suck when it comes to supporting their products.
  17. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    That really sucks, you'd think they'd step up considering it's such a new concept.
    That system must be an absolute bitch to mount up and get lined up correctly.
  18. Tipmethewink

Tipmethewink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to wait 2 months for a 216 and was told that GT stock pile them before the Erzberg rally so that they have enough for the competitors. True enough, a couple of days after the event my tyre appeared. My distributor was suitably peeved and said that it definitely wouldn't be happening again, it was causing them lots of issues. Also, the first FTS a friend of mine recieved leaked and had to be replaced. I assume it's just teething troubles with a brand new product.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    novi408 likes this.
  19. dragos

Oddometer:
    I totally accept a new concept can have issues in its first iteration, and I was aware that I'm buying a new, untested product.
    What I can't accept is how they (don't) stand behind their product. It's a problem that should have been solved in 1 week. I'm in the 4th week and IF the problem gets solved, would only be because the dealer bought a new tyre out of their own pocket (of course, expecting the warranty to solve the expense at some moment in the future), not because of GT were doing what they should.
    Sweedegravel and Tipmethewink like this.
  20. dragos

Oddometer:
    BTW, as I said above: the concept works. Very happy with the front, absolutely no leaks, nice offroad, stable onroad.
    A bit wider, as for FTS they only make 100/90 sizes and not the 90/90 OEM size on my 690.
    [​IMG]
    mslow, MultiDoc and Sweedegravel like this.