But I'm pretty good with the grinder... I have dreams for years and years of making a more dirt capable version of the GS, I try first with Golem a bastard little frankenbike base on the R11S chassis She was fast and very powerful but everything hapend at the top-end with out much torque, making the bike very dificult to ride in the dirt. Actually that was not even the real problem, the main issue was the lack of suspension front and rear and more than that the lack of Quality of the suspension travel. Golem dye a Inhuman death do to over-heating so now is time to bring her spirit back alife. This days I have a great advantage . A Work space ( Rick) were for the first Golem everything was made and install in the street in front of my building.. Anyway I don't have any serius tools(2 handdrills, 2 4,5" grinders, 1 sawsaw, a dremel useless for this kind of task, a few hammers, a headgun and that is kind of it) everything is portable (stuff I can keep at my small apartment) I got a small MIG welder on loan too and as ussual I when to town with it, well i'm going to town little by little. Here is somehow the basic outline of the frame. In my opinion, I beleive to have a proper working suspension the two end of the bike need to work at unison or at least with similar travel and progression carecteristics, so making just a front end conversion was out of the question, besides that will be much to easy and not much fun. This is one of my early concept drawing made about 2 years ago after seeing Bert Dusma work in the Flesh (the Frame Motozila base his work on) and realize how weak and uncontected will be to the rest of the bike Basically I don't want Golem that look and perform like this. kind of like a Hardtail "harley" from west coast choppers. NO, No, no i want a suspension design that give me similar travel carecterristic and at least something more equal in terms of travel, Not 11' in the front and 7" in the back.. Here is when the design problem becomes really fun, If you use a similar concept to the GS ( almost vertical, Linkless rear end) you will need a shock that is far longer ovisully increasing the overall height of the whole machine,(stand over height) not to mension a few compromises with the rear suspension travel (very linear, bottoming out kind of easy) So for that I explore a few routes. This one was my dream sistem for years until i realize that the tyre will occupied the same space as the shock at full compression (same with a Under the seat pipe were you need a much taller tail to fit everything) so No go. I even explore a lawill inspire design a few weeks ago, but I was unable to make something that provide suficient rigidity with out a extreme amount of material and human efford So I keep evolving the concept of the shock location longitudinal to the top of the engine. So far in a very primitive stage the linkage looks like this. kind of funny I was aware the GS chassis were somehow assimetrical, but i guess I never realize how much, the blue tape represents the center line of the engine (Input shaft to the tranny) and is only 4 1/4" inches from the left side of the swingarm, when the swigarm is actually 11' 3/16" inches wide In my current stage of development (what I discover so far) the two linkages for the shock are side by side separeted by about 2 1/4" on center that way I will gain as much space as possible (running the shock as close to the left as possible) on the upper part of the frame for the battery and fuses (ovisully no ABS on this Puppy) and then the lower linkage comes out on center with the swingarm shock mount. Since i have no idea what I'm doing (i'm just guestimating) everything I'm making will have a really wide range of adjustents, for example the two silver rectangles that for now hold the shock and the strut (S aluminum shapes for now until i make the proper piece) will be mounted on a multi hole hub (12 diferent possitions) and will used a adjument screw (from a Gokart) to move outwards serving as a way to make the linkage longer (sorry my Ingles sucks at this level of complexity even more) in short this two arms can be as short as 2 inches (on center) or as long as 5" fully open, all adjustable by hand with out any tools (I hope at least) Here are some basic details of the mounting points as ussual ussing Bicycle parts in this case BMX style slidding footpegs, made of seamless high tensil steel (more than strong for my needs) Actually this mounting sistem is proving to be the most complicate, at first i attache the peg mounts to the center stand hole, but is being evolve in the last few days in my head, and hopefully soon i will have a more efficient solution. Oviuslly I'm really far away from completing this project, in fact I don't even know if will prove to be feasible, but be sure I'm going to try to give him my best.. Here are some basic sketches ussing paper copies of the current frame to try to improve and optimize the most logical location of all the diferent members. For example four tubes going into the lower gusset on the head stock, from the two diferent mounting pointsand somehow side by side. bend tubes (bicycle forks) with the two lower tubes on top of the other in pairs,, I'm sure very strong with also some good clearance for the bottom triple clamp. For Now enjoy a small taste of my challenges and be sure I will keep you posted on the progress as slow as maybe (since sometimes I just don't have the proper tools, materials or the skills to achive certain task) so i need to figure out backup ways to achive the goals.