Golem ReBirth... or I may suck as a welder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Oct 16, 2006.

1. bacon

bacon KZ5TLP

Oddometer:
    Ricky,

The whole mass balance thing really does make a difference you need to balance the bike side to side. I had a 1984 Harley Davidson XR-1000
    If you are not familiar with this bike it was a basic Sportster that they mounted up XR-750 heads with twin Dell'Ortos on it and moved the exhaust to the right side instead of the left. Never changing the frame or motor mounts this changed the balance of the bike so you could not go straight with out canting the bike you had to constantly lean it a little to go straight. All I am trying to say a Little goes a long way in how the bike preforms.

Tim
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    oh totally...

after riding bicycles for years you even learn to pack your bags with even amounts and keep the loads as low as possible.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I have to say that this is my #1 favorite thread on G-spot.

It is thought provoking, mind streatching and fascinating!

Thanks to Ricardo and Jim, as well as so many others for the high level of discussion with minimal attitude getting in the way!:thumb

Jim :brow
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    You know Jim coming from you is a great Honor since you have proven again and again to be a absolute gentleman and a very smart fellow too...

I have start about, I don't know a thousend treads, but so far I think this is the only one that deserve to achive that "Sticky" status.

But i don't want to do it by writing PMs to my moderators friends what will be lamme, but by popular consensus, plus will be super fun to have a side to side little compartion in between a "Kit bike" that if the product was well design and deliver propertlly it will not take more than 24 hours to put toghter just by reading a little handbook, to something like golem that is going to be pretty much build from the ground up with Very limited resouses but a incredible support of many brainiacs of this comunity, hey grupies also count. like on the "school of rock" that you don't need to be a musician to be part of The band

Jim thanks again for the awesome complement, now I pass the microphone to the resident mega geek the other Jim
  5. bacon

bacon KZ5TLP

Oddometer:
    Ricky,

No need to make it a " sticky " it is never more than half way down the first page.

Thanks to your mind and all the others that keep chiming in with words of wisdom.

Every day I have to check it out to see the newest and greatest.

Tim
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Oh man Tim ..

I'm so sorry i did not post for such a long time, i just got the wind kick out of my sails, when my bank account did not find it to funny that i was extracting more than i was putting in..

Is not like I'm rich now, but I manage to sell some of my dear bicyclesand some other motorcycle parts to finance the fabrication of Golem's main frame, sadlly I can not do make it on a "Pennytech" way ad i have no other way than to let master Jp be the man that brings life to this creation..

hopefull she wil start to get build soon after i finish Pezz-Stilense
    at least i'm book with him for a tie slot and I already have a deposit down for his work plus a few good karma bonus points to cash in:feelgood

I still want this tread to be a sticky, since is like getting a "gold star" an kinder garden for a good day of work, in this case the work of a life time., well until i get into something even more complex and challenging.
  7. Timberwoof

Timberwoof Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Ricardo. Are you still making custom handle-bars for people and their motorcycles? I have an R1100GS that maybe needs that kind of attention.
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Yes and No..:scratch

I'm not making any new ones (I don't have the need or desire to go into a price war, specially since I already ake very little money selling them already) but I have many of them left.

the problem is that my "Upper gearbox" is a little mess up and I can not process the data ofthat my clinets send me to a 100Porcents satisfaction if is writen or just numerical (something to do with a state of Hyper dixlexia I'm currentlly suffering from)

but since you are in the city let just figure out a way to meet in person and maybe I can help you out..

beleive it hurt in many ways to have all this product and not be able to sell it, but i'm not about to do a mediocre job on anybody's bike, specially if they are paying me (on mine I don't care, on anybody else is perfect or nothing)

sorry about this but is the current reality of my life, sad but at least i don't contaminate others that way with my personal setbacks,
  9. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ricky,

You presume that my bike is a "kit" bike without any information about what went into building it. The fact of the matter is that the whole front end went on in about 3 hours using no instructions or manuals. We put over a year into gathering and sourcing the correct parts. I personally did not build any of those parts nor claim to do so nor have the experience to do so. I'm not a fabricator. I'm a visionary with the will to get things done. Woody from Woody's Wheel Works spent a lot of time getting together the front hub and the stock speedo drive to work the KTM front end. Woody's efforts should not be dismissed as "parts that bolt up". Without his efforts, as well as Kurt, Ryan, and Mike, the bike would not be here.

Your bike, when it is done, should hopefully be quite a machine. Do not begrudge me or the people that have helped me, the satisfaction of knowing that what we have built with our "HP1" is nothing short of a great bike that is extermely functional and very capable. The bike is beyond my dirt riding abilities as recently displayed in the SandBlast Rally 2007. The bike was piloted by Mike Gilkey and he did a tremendous job bringing the bike to the finish. Many other riders saw that bike pass them more then once. The HP1 also finished the Alcan 5000 last year with flying colors and only a small mishap that was my fault, not the bikes fault. What we have here is a finished product that works safely, consistently, and is very user friendly. We had acheived our goal.

It's fun watching your bike come together and I hope you achieve your goal. Stay focused on what's in front of you and leave the rest alone. No one here is trying to bring you down.

Now get back to building!

A
  10. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Yes Jim that is the idea, to not need to touch the structure of the swingarm at all (actually i do need to remachine the left frame mount pivot point area to make it shorter and also to install a angular bearing) but that is no big deal.

you know Jim I think you can hire your self to compete with Disneyland or magic mountain, because you make me do More loop the loops in my head than Travis pastrana will ever achive:yikes

why don't you just say.

if you mount the shock in a 23,7 deggre angle in reference to the crank shaft of the bike, you will achive a optimal rathio of $&*# Whatever Porcentage

You do Know I :raabia but you do need to admite you do get a little Dense from time to time...:feelgood

FYI: In fact I have two more of this swingarms coming next week with the longer drive shaft and everything
    yeah I get that... :smile6

the more paralel to the shaft drive the better, but then again the shock will be under a very intense load and maybe the riding quality will be compromise since the shock need to be so highy sprung

Actually can I ask you a favor..

can you do one of those fancy grafics that you know how, showing a gamet of shock angles and also explain what the consequences of each angle maybe (shock rate, spring rate require, amount of travel achive, Eye to eye distance require and all that fun stuff)

so we can understand better the consequenses and the possible actions and/or reactions.
  11. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundry; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him."
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________:super
    'nuff said,,,w
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

Amen
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    Man, was I bleary-eyed when I edited that post. Whuu-boy.

I think it's even less clear than the first time, and that'd be because I had a factor in the wrong place.

I get the terms 'slash' and 'backslash' confused too :D

Yea a graphic will be nice. I'm thinking about how to make a simple one.

As far as the phrase "optimal shock placement" goes, well that's based on the result you desire, and the configuration of the bike, suspension travel, etc.

Optimal sort of 'defines itself' from all the decisions, weights, maths, and measurements that are made before the frame is constructed.

But I'll work on a graphic showing a simple linkless design and some basic curves for different shock angles.

- Jim<BR><BR>
  14. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Ricky I have a question here. Are the dimensions transposed here?

Is the dimension 190mm for the K swingarm?

Solving the triangle using 200mm gives what looks like too-tall a triangle.

I went ahead and used 190mm for the K, and 200mm for the GS, but will you confirm that please?

- Jim<BR><BR>
  15. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Ok so the information flow is complex and getting kinda heavy duty. So much so that this thread is getting STICKY'd

JJ
  16. brockster

brockster Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer:
    If you're impressed by all this engineering wizardry, but don't want to start off with something this complex, y'all might like this guy who does wild and creative things with a welder and a mess of old bikes.

Very trippy.:brow
  17. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Were 190mm and 200mm transposed Ricardo? I see that the picture of the tape measure shows 190, but you may have compensated for the 'side face' tape placement at the other end of the tape shown in the first picture.

- Jim<BR><BR>
  18. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

What Information John..:yikes

Like the background noises that you get to see as a moderator coming from We know WHO:fyyff

Thanks for the gesture, I hope i don't disappoint anybody after getting such a honorable place.
  19. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Jim I'm sure that 190MM on the picture is the proper distance, since the final drive is bolted togheter to the GS swingarm..

now i have a better ruler at home , so i can re-measure items if they sound funny to you...

and YES the shock mount is super dupper high upther compare to the GS one that is way below the "waterline"
  20. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    brockster I'm being messing around with things since i was about 5 years old, help if I have to i can make my own shoes

this Golem dream is more a Culmination of a jorney, actually more like a "Carrot at the end of a stick" since when I started I was very depress and passionless, but over the course of the process I have regain a big part of my confidence and strengh.

funny how you can spend two year of you life going to doctors and nothing happend,m but the minute you find the door into your innerself the mind start to cure her own self..