Golf anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Augie, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Team Dennis

Team Dennis Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer:
    I am a regular weekend player. Sometimes even 2 or 3 times dependent on how many "off site consultations" I have with my job description. Golf only sucks if you suck at it. I sucked at it 15 years ago when I started, but 15 years of practice made me a better, more consistant player. The key is to concentrate and focus when it is time to make the shot, but have fun between shots.
  2. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    :nod :thumb
  3. Snail-Darter

Snail-Darter Slime Dog

Oddometer:
    ... and if you happen to be hitting the ball well that day - lay off the Wild Turkey until the round is done. :freaky
    Unless you happen to make a birdie and then it Required!!
  4. AJ2

AJ2 Master of the Universe

Oddometer:
    I'm an aspiring hacker. I've played about a dozen rounds in my life, but four of them are in the last month, and I'm taking my first lesson ever on Friday!
    I have a low round of 103, and I count *everything*, no gimmes or "improving my lie".
    Fun and annoying as hell. I played saturday and had exactly one par. Unfortunately it was on the last hole, and left me feeling good and wanting to play again! Damn game!
  5. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    the damn move and the damn bike has my game screwy right now. I can shoot all kind's of weird scores. Saturday had a 44 on the front 9 (par 36) with a damn 10 on a par 5 and double bogeyed the next hole. ended up with an shitty 85, dammit:splat

I should be tearing this course up. three of the four par 5's are very reachable and it has some short par 4's. I finally took some cash off the gang here Saturday morn with a tidy little birdie on 16. (hey Rider, it's a dogleg left, 410 yards and had the pin in the front right, hit the driver and the stuck a baby 9 iron to about 18 inches.)

just thinking about my game is going to get me to the driving range tonight. I have a tourney this weekend.
  6. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    We have enough for a foursome (on a golf course) leave the rest out of it please. Now where can we play where they will let us use GS's as golf carts and drink beer. no place around here i can assure you.
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Would that it were that easy. Lack of concentration isn't the issue, it is lack of skill!
  8. Quigley

Quigley Seldom Dropped Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Golf......it's a fun game if you don't take it too seriously. I like golf. Good exercise driving the cart around and you don't have to worry about the cart tipping over like a motorcycle if you've had one too many bloody mary's. I don't mind supporting the golf industry and it's cottage industries, like golf ball manufactures. And even if you have a bad round of golf, there's always the 19th hole! The biggest bummer any more just seems to be there's not enough time to get all the fun stuff you want to do done in your off work time.:cry
  9. Team Dennis

Oddometer:
    Skill comes about with practice, practice, practice. No one likes going to the driving range to practice, so make it fun. Many times the wife and I have spent happy hour at the range. We pack our thermos with pre-mixed drink and go. I tend to sit on the chair and attempt to teach her with what little expertise I have. And we never forget the short game. You can have fun playing closest to the hole with putting and chipping especially when there are some bets on the line.:deal
  10. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    I doubt they'll let GS be carts BUT, there's this little course on the top on the Blue Ridge called Swannanoa that doesn't give a shit about much else :D I've seen people out there in just blue jean shorts playing golf, no shirt no shoes. it ain't the greatest course but you sure can have some fun there. ps. watch out for rattlers

[​IMG]

great riding in the area

[​IMG]

and a little hotel at Afton we could take over :D I think even non-golfing riders would show up at the north end of the BRP. they can ride and we can play and drink :thumb

check out http://www.swannanoa.com/swannanoa/index.html

ps the range helped this evening. I think I found something :D
  11. Team Dennis

Oddometer:
    Yeah,but it will be gone the next time. NEVER, NEVER say "I found it" and never read instructional articles in golf magazines.:rofl
  12. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    us white boys ain't got no rhythm, but I found the one I need :D that I can work with :thumb it's all tempo :nod ah 1 and ah 2
  13. QuickMule

QuickMule Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't golf, but some friends have a little game that sounds interesting called "desert biathelon." Drive a golf ball to see who drops it closest to a pin 200yds away for points - then see who can hit their ball from the tee with a rifle in the fewest shots for more points. Sounds more like an Advrider game to me - maybe if done while on the bike?
  14. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    I'm just shocked that Boxer didn't post some shiznit about the French inventing golf~:rofl
  15. Team Dennis

Oddometer:
    As I have told many people. Waltz, don't polka.:rofl
  16. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    We could find a beater track somewhere in the hills that could be the base for a golf and ride for next spring??

anything up there? "Swannie" at the north end of the BRP is still on the short list :D

maybe we can find a place in NY, NJ or PA??

get on the net and search out a place where we could pull this one off :thumb I'll let you know what I find :deal
  17. PaulS

PaulS Österreicher

Oddometer:
    This is a pretty nice course and not too hard. Put this one on the list.
    I used to play a lot, but havn't touched a club for 2 1/2 years. Started playing again in spring and I'm going to the Homestead for 3 days tomorrow and plan to play a round or two every day.
  18. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    yep, I have heard of it, but never played it. :thumb
  19. Srider

Srider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bryce Resort in Bayse, VA has a course....and some awesome roads too!
  20. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    So does Massanutten, but then they have that no bikes rule to fuck us.