GoMotor Goes South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GoMotor, Oct 30, 2019.

1. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a few days my ridding buddy Gary and I will head south from Houston on a pair of Kawasaki KLR650s. We have reservations on the Stahlratte from Panama to Colombia on the 29th of November.
    Merlin44, Davidprej, Quindio and 4 others like this.
  2. DPelletier

DPelletier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have fun! I look forward to the updates!

Cheers,
    Dave
  3. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about copying your reply above. I am just figuring out how to use this forum.
    I am getting new tires on my KLR at Cycle Gear as I write this.
    My ridding buddy Gary from Kansas City is having new tires shipped to my place in Houston. When they arrive we will mount them and head south.

I found a tiny oil leak at the oil seal on the transmission countershaft. No Kawasaki dealer in the USA has one in stock and I am not going to wait a week to ten days for one to come from the factory warehouse. If anyone knows how I can get one shipped ahead some place between Houston and Panama without customs hassles, let me know.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  5. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would start looking for that seal and get it before you leave, Ive never seen a kawi dealer below the border.
  6. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    partzilla.com
    # 92049-1577
    who ever told you this seal is not available, well, dont ever talk with them again.
    When mine went out 400miles below the border, it was from the needle bearing opposite the sprocket failing which caused oil to leak and transmission to fail. also get a clutch cable for a spare and zip tie it in place.
    Good luck on the trip!!
  7. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First I must admit the small oil drip I had was not from the countershaft oil seal,but the nylon drain plug seal. I new seal fixed that and not a drop of oil or coolant sis leaking any where.

We entered Mexico at Laredo yesterday and were waved right through the crossing check point. I expected to find a check point for vehicle permits and passports about 20 miles past the boarder at the end of the Hassle Free Zone, but saw none. I asked some officials who were checking trucks along the way and they said no permits or passport form FMM were required. I asked a police officer and got the same answer. In Montemorelos south of Monterey a cop told us the Temporary vehicle Import Permit and personal entry form FMM are necessary and must be handled at the border. So, we are now headed back to the boarder to clear up the snafu.
    Merlin44 likes this.
  8. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • 11-10-19 We reached the border after noon and couldn't get directions to the customs and immigration offices. Finally a guy offered to guide us there with his truck. I intended to give him a nice tip which he did not ask for, but he took off before I could. The process for customs and immigration took a couple of hours even with no lines. We rode south 100 miles and only found one hotel which was full. Finally an hour after dark the clerk at a gas station in a tinny little town said there was a hostel in the town but could not give us directions. She called the owner and he came to lead us through the town way off the highway. I was getting suspicious until he stopped in the gated back entrance to a nicely converted 6 room hostel in an old building in the little town. It turned out to be the most pleasant place we have stayed.
    Merlin44, Davidprej and randypower like this.
  9. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    11-11-19 Just rode trying to make miles toward Teotihuacan Pyramids near Mexico City.
    Merlin44, Davidprej and MrKiwi like this.
  10. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are in a Love Motel near Puebla, M.x. We could get it for 6, 12 or 24 hours. We picked 12. I only have 15 minutes left to type. No chairs in the room. Sitting in bed typing is hard. Bought some materials to rig a USB power supply for my smart phone for mapping. Need more parts. Using Garmin Montana.

Had unbearable fog night before last. 15 feet viability on very curvy roads in the mountains. More latter.
    Merlin44 and Davidprej like this.
  11. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the ride and post some pics!
  12. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the basic rules of MX riding is...never ride at night! You will see why quickly enough!
    Quindio and knight like this.
  13. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin is good for routing you out of town but pretty useless for planning routes

Have you downloaded the free Maps me and iOverlander apps?
  14. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I get Maps Me for central and south America?
    95Monster likes this.
  15. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stopped before dark yesterday 130 miles shy of Villahermosa. Rain predicted all day today. Got a few photos on my phone. Need to find time to learn to post them.

Our $17 motel has no toilet seat, one faucet in the sink, two light bulbs and no lock for the door.

Now just trying to make miles/km to Panama to catch the boat to Columbia. Then will slow down and enjoy.
    Merlin44 and roadcapDen like this.
  16. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good Mexican motel to me!
    knight likes this.
  17. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, we only made about 160 miles today. It rained most of the day which slowed us down some. We passed fairly near Palenque and I really wanted to take Gary to see the pyramids there, but we decided the most important thing is to keep making miles to be sure of meeting the Stahlratte for the 29th sailing. That is the only hard deadline we have. After that we can take as many months as needed to see all we want.

We rode until dark and stopped at the first motel we say. Another love motel for $32. Two nice big bed rooms with separate air conditioners, sitting room and a lockable two car garage for the bikes.

We did stop at a bank to get some cash. The bank rejected both my credit card and my bank debit card, but took Gary's. So, I will have to stop some time during regular banking hours in Texas to call my bank.

We are headed into Guatemala tomorrow and I will try to figure out how to post a few photos.
    Merlin44 and Davidprej like this.
  18. Quindio

Quindio Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes
  19. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had to some work on my exhaust system this morning to stop the muffler from rubbing on the rear wheel. Then we had to duct tape the zipper all the way up the leg on my new REI rain pants. I was disappointed in the quality of those new pants.

We rode in on and off rain and made very little progress. We got to Tenosique de Pino near the Guatemala border late in the day and decided to try to make it across the boarder. The road turned bad and slow and we returned to Tenosique for the night. I'll need a lot of duct tape for this trip.

I hope the border crossing goes smoothly tomorrow and we can make more miles. Our main goal now is to get to Panama in time to meet the sailboat Stahlratte. After that we can slow down and enjoy the ride.
    Merlin44 likes this.
  20. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was interesting?????? We are following Google Maps "Fastest Route" from Houston to Panama. The section yesterday started on asphalt in Guatemala then went to good dirt then went to bad dirt then went to badly rutted two tracks. Someplace along the dirt trail we crossed into Honduras with with no knowledge of the crossing on the dirt trail. There were many steep, rutted, muddy sections which caused many drop[s of the bikes. Some local dirt bike riders gave us lots of help.

We are now in La Entrada, Honduras with no visas or bike permits and will have to find a legal crossing point to straighten this out.
    Merlin44, Davidprej and Quindio like this.