1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

GoMotor Goes South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GoMotor, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Champe: Well said. So am I correct to understand that a Canadian can buy a bike in Columbia roll around S.A. for a bit then head north for Canada? Does it matter if one buys new or used? I love riding Mexico, but C.A.countries don’t seem worth the effort. So fly to Colombia, ride for 3-4 months, fly home. Repeat next winter.
  2. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes sir. no different for a Canadian. Buying new is more convenient because the dealer will do all the paperwork. I might do used next time to save money though. the snag with used is that the seller could try to conceal unpaid tickets or taxes associated with the bike. Easily checked if you know how. You can do it online with the government website. Or you can make the seller go with you to register it.
  3. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Was thinking that new would be less complicated. Wonder if Colombia would have the likes of dr 650, wr 250 r available in NEW. Know that the Honda Tornado is readily available. Although my 235 lbs be a bit of a challenge for that one. Petepilot
  4. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mercado Libre is the first place to look to see what is out there. On the left column you can narrow the search to brand, location, size, etc.

https://motos.mercadolibre.com.co

You are a big guy so you will probably prefer the larger bikes. 250 and smaller is about 90% of the market, partly because anything larger involves a "luxury" tax. But it is not that bad. I went with a 390 KTM Duke new. (see my RR called "A month on a bike in Colombia") https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-month-on-a-bike-in-colombia-2019.1418023/

One of the best deals is the 400 Bajaj Dominar. Very similar to the KTM, but more comfortable and a lot cheaper. The favorite big bike there is the BMW 1200GS, but a new one will set you back close to 30K. 650s are around but not common.
  5. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of the bikes mentioned are good and interesting. If you want to sell it after use, I may be a buyer. It would be a loaner for my friends. if you want to store it I have a tip for a great garage in Bogota for $20/month.

As soon as this corona issue is over I will be there. Glad to help if I can.
  6. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the motos for sale link. Have flagged the link, as I hope to need it sometime. As a retired truck driver that wandered N.A. for 25 years it is difficult to go on extended wanders. My wife and I have spent so much time apart and despite that have such an extraordinary marriage. In any case the lady retires in a few months and we roll to Baja in November for the winter. Live on the beach s in wee toy wagon. I’ll explore with wr250r.petepilot
    chilolac and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  7. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I end up selling my 2001 F650GS in Uruguay for $1,200. It was a going price in advrider and few Facebook group but the farm manager who manage one of the inmate's farm in Uruguay wanted to buy it. Inmate lives in Arizona and make trips down there so I sent inmate the title (notarized and signed) and other parts that belong to it.. never heard back from the farm manager so he must be happy with the buy. I renewed my passport few months after the sale and noticed that my passport has new ID number so I guess that explain why some of riders weren't worried about not paying for speeding ticket when exiting the country. Not sure how they can keep track of you if your new passport has new ID number? DOB and name?
  8. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you let me know what the process was of surrendering the bikes to Customs here in Punta Arenas?
    roadcapDen likes this.
  9. pdwestman

pdwestman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope to read of Paul and Gary's safe return to the USA, soon! Pauls GPS tracks are stagnent, unmoving.
  10. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did a google search for the customs/aduoana (sp?) in P.A. Found this map

upload_2020-3-28_10-40-43.png

We paid a visit to the Regional Customs Directorate, which just happened to be down the street from our hotel. They told us to bring the bikes in the next day for processing. That gave me time to strip as much from my bike as I could reasonably carry back. By the time I was finished my bike didn’t run (voltage regulator), but it was downhill all the way so I was able to coast to their office. We spent the next 3 hours in their office as they went through the bureaucratic processes required. We then had to take our bikes across the street to their storage area. That was very interesting as there were several desirable bikes there. A couple of BMW airheads, a Triumph. Most still had plates on them, I saw a Colorado plate, Alaska, and California. I removed mine since Missouri will allow me to transfer the registration to another bike.
  11. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Should have mentioned that there was no way for me to know if the other bikes in storage had been surrendered or if they had been seized for overstaying the 3 month Chilean TIP.
  12. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the info!

I can confirm that your bikes are still there ;) I too was amazed by the bikes that were already there, a BMW R100GS surely is worth shipping home I would think. But maybe they were impounded indeed.
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a sad ending for the bikes! Especially yours Joris!!
    eakins, Joris van O and roadcapDen like this.
  14. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the pic. I took some while there but none which had our bikes in them. Paul and my KLR’s are at the back, both with the oversized (black) IMS tanks.

A sad end to be sure. This has certainly started the gears turning in my mind about how some kind of motorcycle exchange business could be established so that one person could ride down early in the season, then someone else flies in and takes it back north. It’s tempting to think you could go down the west side like we did and back up the east side of the continent, but substantial obstacles exist, one natural, the Amazon river, and at least one other, which is political, Venezuela a second.

Have any of the inmates ever been able to arrange a handoff like I described above?
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I wonder what eventually happen to those bikes? I'm assuming they sell them off at some point and the $ goes into their local system w/ a few $ in their pockets.

Makes sense why so many use cheap KLR and just fly home.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  16. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We were told the bikes would be auctioned off in about 3 months. Not sure if that is every 3 months or if they just meant the next auction was 3 months away.

I was surprised by the bikes I saw there. Some would have definitely been worth shipping back to the U.S., I estimate my KLR is only worth between $1500-$2000 here, which is about what shipping back would have cost from Buenos Aires. That figure was from another rider who was on the Stahlratt and shipped her DR650 to Chicago. Hers was much newer than my KLR and had quite a few costly mods/upgrades, so I agreed with her decision to ship. All of the other quotes I heard about were higher than the$1750 she paid.
  17. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, spent $3k + ~$850 mods on the 01 F650GS and after riding it to Prudhoe Bay then to Ushuaia. It cost of about $2,000 to ship it home so I sold it at cost of airfare for $1200. Just not worth the cost of shipping it back home. I felt I got the most out of the bike for the money I spent on it. Subtracting the sale of bike for $1200 I am $2,650 + maintenance into the bike it just made sense to sell than ship. It would cost $4,000 just to rent a bike in Chile or Argentina for 10-14 days.