GoMotor Goes South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GoMotor, Oct 30, 2019.

1. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    34BB09FA-BA8B-48DE-AB7E-A31D466AB66D.jpeg

One of the Rivan pickups.
    Merlin44, wilfred and windplay like this.
  2. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We stopped early at 3:00 PM and took a motel in Quepos, Costa Rica for the night because Gary was worried it would get dark on us and we would have trouble finding a hotel in the dark. It turned out to be the best $50 motel we have had. Secure parking in the court yard behind a locked gate, HOT WATER, Wi Fi, air conditioning and got laundry done across the street.
    We are getting close enough to feel confident in catching the Stehlratte on the 29th.
  3. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes plenty of time for some much needed rest.
  4. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We left Quepos, Costa Rica this morning heading for Panama. The ridding was good. The roads were good, smooth and curvy with very little traffic. When we hit the boarder it all turned sour. We had to go through the process one place at a time and none of the places were marked or even in the same building. Some were on one side of the road and some on the other with cars and trucks flying sown the road. The employees sit one an air conditioned window while you stand out in the sun and try to hear them speak through a small hole in the window with trucks roaring by behind you. Then you move top the next unmarked building and do it again. After a few hours we were through and headed for the town of David , Panama. Ten mile sdown the road a huge black cloud was waiting for us. I got good and wet because my REI brand rain pants had fallen apart.

We got a nice air conditioned room with hot water in David and had a good meal and all is good now. We should be in Panama City in time to catch the Stahlratte sail boat for crossing to near Cartagena, Colombia. There are no roads between Panama and Colombia. After that we can slow done and enjoputhe ride and the sights.
    Merlin44 and wilfred like this.
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have almost 5 days to see Panama before sailing right? You should really ride down to Yaviza, the start of the Darien. It can be done as a day trip from the city.
  6. pdwestman

pdwestman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to this thread Paul. Glad that you & Gary are nearing the port to catch the boat.
    As I do not speak hardly a word of Spanish, I don't think I could ever get thru any of those border crossings.

Ride Safe Guys.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  7. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We arrived in Panama City this afternoon a day or two earlier than we had expected. Riding though other central American countries had dulled our senses of time and miles. The Pan-American Highway in Panama is smooth and fast, but there are traffic police behind every tree.

We are at the Panama House Bed and Breakfast where many of the Stahlratte riders will be leaving from on the 29th to meat the boat at Carti on the Caribbean coast.

I had to take some new photos of some of my bike documents for captain Ludwig. He has an agent take care of all the documents and paperwork for leaving Panama and entering Colombia including one month of motor cycle insurance in Columbia. So, it should be a "No Hassle Change of Continents" for us.

I think tomorrow we will go visit the Panama Canal.

Edit: My room has a very good air conditioner, but the shower next door has none. Before I could get dressed and back to my room I was soaked with sweat. You don't notice the heat and humidity too much when ridding along at highway speed, but a short traffic jam can kill you.
    Merlin44, flexiflyer, wilfred and 2 others like this.
  8. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We arrived Monday afternoon so we have 3 days to explore before we rendezvous with the Stahlratte early Friday. We should be able to hit Yaviza. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Merlin44, WineandCheese and Cal like this.
  9. WineandCheese

WineandCheese n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing
  10. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg

Would like to add more photos to this ride report but internet speeds here are making that difficult. We did find time for an oil change. While waiting a rather unsavory character tried to hit us up for something. I just kept saying "no Habla espanol" over and over and he then started bothering Paul. Paul know how to handle people like that.
    Merlin44, wilfred, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  11. terryna

terryna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the ride...[​IMG]
  12. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A quick update: We will be here until the 29th when the boat leaves for Colombia. This afternoon we will try to go see the canal.

Since my nice REI rain pants fell apart I just went to a local motorcycle shop to buy some rain pants. They only sell top and bottom sets, so I got the set. It was clear, hot and dry when I walked in and raining when I walked out. No worries. I had a full set of rain gear under my arm. That is what comes from good clean living or pure blind luck. Either works for me.
    Merlin44 and flexiflyer like this.
  13. dragonryder

dragonryder n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi paul,
    Thanks for letting me know the forum you were using. Been following you since you crossed into Mexico. Glad you are finally in Panama. Enjoy!
    Ronnie
  14. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    These are how some of the best memories are made for sure, hitting it blind on the first trip South learning as you go.
    You two have made a helluva go at those borders and even missing some lol. SA is going to be much easier and Colombia will be moto heaven.

The trip on the Rat will seem like paradise if you can manage not to get sea sick.
    I remember my ride down through CA to get to that boat, in about the same amount of time and that deadline always looms in the back of your mind, I just barely made it and had to chase the boat down in a launcha all the want to Coco Bandero as I was late from screwing off too much and too much tire trouble on my way down.

I’m sure the boat will make up the oh so awesome lobster pot for you.

Wish you guys could figure out how to post more pictures, as this would be a most interesting ride report.

Good luck and Happy Trails.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  15. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think your "helper" probably understood you just fine. But "Habla" refers to him her or you. If you are talking about yourself the word is "hablo". That is a good first line but it is defensive. You could add to that , putting him on the defense by saying
    "Hablas Ingles ?" meaning "do you speak English ?". Hablas refers to "you" in the informal sense.

Thanks for writing this report. I am doing one for Colombia right now - might have some good tips for you there. Also I hope to pick some good tips up from you.
  16. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We decided to take the subway a few blocks from out hostel to the Panama Canal Museum. When we got there we found that you can't pay cash, but have to.have a ticket. We found a ticket machine that didn't work. So we just took a taxi for $15. The museum was interesting with lots of information about the men, materials and machinery that went into the building of the canal. It is hard to grasp what 10,000 tones of concrete looks like.

Then we went to the observation deck of the museum next to the canal to watch some big ships go through. There were a large number of people there when we got there and I was standing behind a small woman at the rail over whose head I could see and photograph. When the ship came through she climbed up on the rail and I may have accidentally taken a photo of her back side. I still don't see how those little railroad tugs can pull such huge ships or how the small looking cables can hold against the load.

I fixed the inReach tracks to show from the start rather than just the last day's tracks

We took a taxi back to the hostel and the driver asked for $25. He couldn't explain the difference between the two rides between the same two points. I am getting smarter by the day. Always ask the price first.

Watched a Godzilla movie in Spanish. Not much difference between Spanish and English. Lots of screaming and getting chased by really big lizards.
  17. dragonryder

dragonryder n00b

Oddometer:
    What did that small woman look like that you accidentally took a picture of her backside?
    Ronnie
    Champe, Dan Diego and Cal like this.
  18. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    D98E18E2-5455-4DF1-935E-F373205277A9.jpeg The parrot at Panama House B&B.
    Merlin44 and Dan Diego like this.
  19. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5518ABD2-E1D4-4F99-9962-9A38FAFE050C.jpeg

A road in S.A we plan to ride. Recognize it?
    pdwestman, Merlin44, ApexJeff and 2 others like this.
  20. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^looks like Peru to me. Looks fun:ricky:rilla
    ApexJeff likes this.