GoMotor Goes South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GoMotor, Oct 30, 2019.

1. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my view point, like a pare of cantaloupes in a small blue jean bag.
    pdwestman likes this.
  2. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191126_143609.jpg Bigger than a kawasaki
    Merlin44, Quindio, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  3. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So we've had yesterday and today to chill a bit and try to catch up with friends and family, basically pushing a lot of electrons around. I did a search for "Long Way Up" to see what I could find on the HD Live Wires we stumbled upon. So I confirmed it is Ewan Mcgregor and Charlie Boorman who are on the bikes and I now realize I shook both of their hands but with helmets on I have no idea who was who. Oh well l seemed to feel "the force" when shaking the hand of one of them. Maybe the one sitting on the Live Wire at the time.
  4. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wheres that twisty road . ? Southeast of Santiago Chile on the way to argentina
  5. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite highways in SA. Highway 60 from Los Andes north of Santiago to Mendoza. You pass under Mt. Aconcagua (22,800+) at the pass.
    Stunning. Cant wait to ride it again. Best of luck. Enjoying your posts.
    Throttlemeister likes this.
  6. dragonryder

dragonryder n00b

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you guys find some good eats and a great day today so far from home. Ride On —

Ronnie
    dano619 and Dan Diego like this.
  7. dsoine

dsoine New to the SW

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Thanks for your text Gary and Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave
  8. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have been relaxing and doing a little work on the bikes.

Today was Thank giving both in the us and Panama. We went out for a Thanks giving dinner and found every restaurant was closed. We finally stopped at a very noisy little place made from old shipping containers that we had been to before.

We leave Panama City at 7:00 in the morning for the ride out to the Puerto de Carti, Panama in the native Kuna area. Google it. There is not much there, but it is nicer than the northern end of the canal.

We may be out of touch for 3 or 4 days sailing to Cartagena, Colombia.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your report. I’m sure you’ll love the Stahlratte. I was on it this past July and am in S Peru now.
    Safe travels and enjoy the lobster!
  10. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ohio

Yes we had lobster for lunch while anchored between two picturesque tropical islands. As soon as lunch was over we set off for Cartagena in some fairly rough chop. Most on board eventually tossed their lobster before the day was done. A real hurl fest for sure
  11. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chucked up big time and was under the weather for 24 hours.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  12. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpg A good hostel in Cartagena. Very recently remodeled and VERY reasonably priced. A short walk from the pier where we were dropped off.
    Merlin44 and Cal like this.
  13. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We sailed from Panama into Cartagena, Colombia about 9:00 last night and dropped anchor surrounded by a sea of city lights on all sides. It was about a three day sail.

Five of us took rooms in a hostel in Cartagena for $7.50 US each. No hot water and They don't turn the air conditioning on until 7:00 PM and turn it off at 8:00 AM.

We have to return to the Stahlratte tomorrow to retrieve our passports and import papers for our bikes. The captain takes care of all that paper work for everyone and gets one month of insurance for the bikes for all of us included in the cost of the trip. Not having to mess with papers in both Panama and Colombia is a big benefit.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  14. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191130_105041.jpg Lunch
  15. pdwestman

pdwestman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If that is going to be your lunch, I am wondering how you are going to cook it with your trail mess kit?
    I know next to nothing about preparing seafood to eat.

Ride Safe guys.
  16. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Nice lunch, hope it's calm seas so you don't lose it!
  17. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday afternoon we were all sent from the Stahlratte to shore from a bay next to the big city of Cartagena, Colombia to go find food and lodging for the night. Several of us found a cheap hostel for about $7 per night. This morning we returned to the ship to travel half and hour to a pier to unload our bikes and gear and go our own ways. Some of us are back now at the same hostel just killing time.
  18. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding the lobsters shown above, I started feeling ill an hour or so after eating on the Stahlratte. A couple of hours later I was fortunately near the only toilet/sink on the ship and heaved two large loads. In the next 24 hours I had a few more smaller events. I later learned that about half of those who ate lobster had the same problem.

We stayed a couple of days in Cartagena at some hostels and went to visit the very large old fort built a few hundred years ago to protect Cartagena from pirates, the English and the French. Instead of stairs to get to various levels they had wide sloping ramps. I assume this was to use horses to pull wagons loaded with cannons and cannon balls.

One of the priciest hostels charged my credit card an extra $100 for two nights instead of one. They said they wound send it to Western Union and I could go to any Western Union to get the money using my passport for identification. Well, that didn't work.

We stopped at the Hyatt hotel to help Fran ( a very nice woman who was on the boat with us) adjust the valves on her Suzuki DR650 and headed northeast to Santa Maria thinking it was a small beach side fishing village. We arrived after dark in a huge jam of small motorcycles and cars all fighting for the same space. We took the first hotel we found and it turned out to be a very pleasant place with a nice staff for about 90,000 pesos or $27.
  19. pdwestman

pdwestman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recon that you should have cooked your own lobster, after all.

Lets hope that you don't have anymore food issues during this trip. How much of your own cooking are you & Gary doing?
  20. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191205_100212.jpg 20191204_152851.jpg 20191205_100212.jpg 20191204_152851.jpg