Gone riding for the winter. Be back in the spring.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Quindio, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you find apartments to rent ? Local paper ? App ?

Good score - and nicer than a hotel.

Nice photos, as usual. How about one of the rock ? Looks hard to get decent scale from the ground. The aerial promotional shots sure look great. Speaking of aerial - do you think drones are heavily controlled there ?

I thought you might do a longish tour with your guests - the V-Strom riders. Do they have a plan or are they just going day to day ?
    Quindio likes this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up - seriously dig the off-road ride you did a few posts ago @Quindio! The water flowing over the road and the small villages you went through are frickin' amazing man. Interesting to see the logging, how's it treated there? Is it done sustainably? I remember you mentioning the Colombians are really into the environment.

Going to look through the shots from your long road trip now, can't wait to see what you've experienced. I'm really envious - been raining like a MOFO in the PNW for the last several days and isn't going to letup for the next 10. I need to get out for a ride...
    Quindio likes this.
  3. Quindio

Quindio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the apartment on Airbnb and it was $45 Canadian per night and yes way better than a Hotel. I remember paying a lot more for a Hotel here before. I'll have some pictures of the rock soon and I don't think they care much about drones here.

Richard and family left for Peru last week, I have rode there before and like riding in Colombia much more and have so much more to explore here.
  4. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Every time I go riding here all I'm thinking about is how this country is made for adventure riding. And yes they are very much into the environment, I know the tree's grow fast here because when I first went to Salento they were cutting the tree's down along the road leading to Salento. I found out too the company doing the logging were from Canada. The tree's they planted are already 40-60 feet tall in 5 years. I'm not sure about the logging practices here? I know where I live in BC we have to toughest logging regulations in the world.

I hope to get caught up on our trip over the few days here.
    caribryder and liv2day like this.
  5. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Tonight we are uploading pictures having picada and drinking tequila. :beer
    IMG_20200123_174754.jpg
    roadcapDen and liv2day like this.
  6. Quindio

Oddometer:
    A picture of the rock while riding past.
    IMG_20200123_094952.jpg
    Champe and Cal like this.
  7. BC Brian

BC Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a bombed out mansion/finca of Pablo’s near Guatepe. They have tours and, get this, you can have paintball wars there.

there are boat tours to get there or you can ride there

I did the tour (¿como es tu espanol?) but there wasn’t paintball (or boats) on Sundays
    Cal and Quindio like this.
  8. Quindio

Oddometer:
    At the entrance road to Salento are some abandoned buildings that Paplo's right hand man owned. He loved Salento and in the night club the word was a lot of famous bands played there on the hush, hush. I'll get some pictures when I'm back. There are cages for wild animals and birds too.

If we have time we will ride to the mansion, Thanks
    BC Brian and Cal like this.
  9. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Back tracking to passing through Manizales.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and missing the turn I was supposed to make twice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally made it to the bridge out of the city.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Manizales-Neira road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    02edge2wd, Champe and liv2day like this.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's quite the sprawling city! I can't imagine trying to ride through that, I won't even ride through downtown Portland any longer, and that's a US city :lol3:lol3

Stark contrast to what it looks like when you get out of town, and I really like that bridge crossing. Can anything but bikes make it across that - maybe small cars?

Great set of pics @Quindio, nice day to be out riding and I'm guessing the pleasure went up once you cleared the city.

Keep 'em coming, we're supposed to get close to 4 inches of rain over the next week :eek7 :eek7. Closest I'll get to riding will be starting my bike to run some fuel through it and possibly replacing the chain and sprockets if I find time :patch
    Quindio likes this.
  11. Quindio

Oddometer:
    If I didn't have my GPS I would still be in Medellin, but still my Garmin takes me the wrong way sometimes or off on a adventure on a road that starts out paved, then dirt, then sand. I have learned now to double check with Google maps when I remember. That bridge was just for motorcycles and walking. Once I got out of the city the there was no traffic at all and the pavement began to disappear the farther we rode with corner after corner and mostly riding in second gear.

Being from Vancouver I'm not missing all that rain like your getting in Portland or looking at the forecast and seeing rain for the next week. Here it seems to rain late in the day or early morning.
  12. Quindio

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RJ44, liv2day and Cal like this.
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    I'm digging it!
    On Netflix Narcos there was a quote that God made Colombia nicer that the rest of the world so He had to offset that by adding evil people to it, ie Pablo Escobar.
    Quindio likes this.
  14. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For maps, it sometimes pays to check several different sources. I used Apple, Google, and Maps.me in Colombia. All had occasional errors, particularly in the fine details. Maps.me shows the most roads. Next time I will be using a Garmin also, so that makes one more. I know Garmin can be off sometimes too.

I was hunting around online for places to see and ran across Pablo Escobar's estate in Puerto Triunfuno, 150 km East of Medellin. Hacienda Napoles is a 7 square mile property that has a replica Piper Cub airplane over the gate. It used to have a lot of exotic animals. Most were donated to zoos. But some are still there and loose. They say the hippos are breeding well and there are at least 40 loose on the grounds right now. More along the Magdalena river, off the property.

Some people want Escobar tourism to die. I don't agree - it is history. For what that's worth.
    Quindio likes this.
  15. Quindio

Oddometer:
    I have been to Puerto Triunfuno a few times and we will be going there today. I did not know about Pablo's estate was there and will ask around once we get there. The ride from here to there is super nice. The first time I rode there it was a dirt road part of the way but last I rode it was paved but a bridge was washed out and had to ride over a temp bridge.
    pro69ss and Cal like this.
  16. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Sorry for no pictures, last night the wifi was not working and we are leaving early this morning.
    [​IMG]
    twowings, Cal and liv2day like this.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's a beautiful picture @Quindio, talk about muy tranquilo. Several nice homes across the lake, possibly a hotel to the left of the image?

Hope the ride is going well and you're having a great time! Looking forward to see what you post for us next :D :D
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice vid loved the kid hanging onto the semis bumper , reminded me of bumper riding in the winter years ago!
    Quindio likes this.
  19. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Lots of nice places to stay on the lake, such a beautiful town with every house in town painted a different color.
  20. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Around Medellin because there are so many hills you see that a lot.