Gone riding for the winter. Be back in the spring.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Quindio, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Quindio

Quindio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then off to meet Sandra for lunch.

Sandra and her mom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jowul, osmola, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Strom looks good @Quindio! That's a cool looking shop too, I like the Marquez replica in the background - curious about the displacement? I know the CBR1000R is big here in the US, imagine it's a smaller displacement there?

Really great set of pics, that cabana you stayed in and your friend's property is beautiful - looks like a very peaceful place to live.

Appreciate the update, I need to get out for a ride :ricky :thumb
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following along. Colombia is fantastic.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I miss Colombia so much, these pictures bring back a flood of memories, nothing like the greenery there. Just need to make me some good empanadas now...
    Last time I was down in 2015 trying to rescue mi moto in VZ, which was unsuccessful:cry I ended up on a new rental Tenere 250 that was near perfect for the backroads of Colombia that I was in love with. Spent that last week way off the beaten path loving it.

Btw, I loved the name Leidy, which I’d first learned in Colombia, so much that I named my daughter “Laydee”, just so all the gringos could spell and pronounce it:lol3

I can’t get enough of Colombia and South America all together that there is no other option than going back, but my first love is always Colombia. I will enjoy watching this thread, thanks for sharing all this:clap:clap:clap
  5. Quindio

Oddometer:
    It is a CBR1000 all ready to race. I'll get some closer pictures today. I see a lot of fast bikes here and they do ride them fast in town you can hear them going far away.

Ed has done a super nice job building up his hostel and almost has it fully finished the way he wants. So peaceful there but only until Richard and I show up with the Tequila.
    Foiler and liv2day like this.
  6. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Hola Tricepilot,

Thanks for following along :D
  7. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Buenos días Throttlemeister,

Thank you for taking the time to write and it's nice to read other people experiences of riding in Colombia. I'm assuming VZ is Venezuela? I have been tempted a few times years ago to cross the boarder into Venezuela but never did as there always seemed to be something bad happening there at the time. You see so many Venezuelans here now and not being able to work. Last year I rode past a huge tent camp of Venezuelans in the middle of no where.

I'm hoping to get up in the mountains today if there is time. I have not had any free time yet to go riding as I have been busy doing all sorts of things. Today I'm hoping to be finished by the afternoon so I might have time to go for a ride.

Leidy is such a sweetheart and Ed is a lucky man. I like how you named your daughter and hope you can make it back to Colombia for some more riding off the beaten path. My GPS seems to like to take me there a lot for no reason at all. I'll be riding along a paved road that then turns to dirt, then sand, then rocks, then mud. You get to the point of no return and have to keep going because turning around is not a option as your watching the sun go down. I always seem to make it though and that's the fun of adventure riding.
  8. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was spent picking my things from Ed's and loading up my bike and taking my stuff to my cabana. Then I supposed work on the other Vstrom in Armenia with Richard putting parts on but I remembered it was Thursday. In Colombia there is one day of the week you can not ride your motorcycle in the centro part of the city. It depends on the number on your plate. For example if your plate has a 1 or 2 you can't ride on Mondays, my number is 7 so no riding on Thursdays. So I just stayed at Ed's helping him try and start his truck.
    stromsavard likes this.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful place. Wow.
  10. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is Ed's hostel listed with Hostelworld ? If you recommend the place, could you please give us his contact information ?

Also, I noticed that your Suzuki V-Stroms have unique and interesting wheels. ie, Spoked Tubeless. Best of both worlds. Spokes for offroad toughness and tubeless for ease of maintenance, particularly flat repair. BMW GS has had the concept for 15 years but these have a different pattern. All modern trials bikes have tubeless spoked rears also, which are usually run at about 4 PSI. Not sure why, but trials still uses a 21" tube type up front.

Also, the V-Strom has 68 hp - about 20 hp more than most single cylinder 650s. I see your Tenere sports a 21 inch front wheel, which is a dirt-worthiness improvement. Now that you own both, maybe you could compare the ride for us.
  11. Quindio

Oddometer:
    I do like really the wheels on the Vstrom, I was surprised to see them fitted on. I use to have a 1000cc Vstrom and always considered it a touring motorcycle. When I first sat on the new 650 Vstrom it felt small and short compared to the Tenere. I can easily plant both my feet on the ground but on the Tenere I'm on the tip of my toes or leaning to one side. I'm 5' 11" tall. The Vstrom does not have a lot of clearance and when I looked underneath the engine you see the exhaust pipes there. Not much between there and the ground. The cheap plastic engine guard is does not go under the engine and seems worthless to me. First thing that came to mind was a new skid plate or your going to damage the pipes. The Vstrom comes with traction control and ABS but you can't turn them off. I wish it came with that option. Riding the Vstrom is nice it's super smooth and is easy to handle and I'm sure it will go fast. The tenere you are sitting high off the ground so cornering is a little slower than the Vstrom. Still breaking in the engines so no going over 5000 rpm, they red line at 10,000 rpm. The suspension seems hard and the Tenere suspension is much nicer and smooth with lots of ground travel.

To me the Vstrom is more of a touring bike and the Tenere is more of a on/off road bike. Picking between the two I would take the Tenere for sure. It's the best motorcycle I have ever rode and I love it. You can ride 2 up no problem with lots of power to pass too. It will take you anyplace you want to go.

Ed and Leidy would love to have any ADV riders stay and more than happy to help out anyone riding in Colombia.
    http://www.refugioexplanacion.com/
    jowul, 08StangGT_CS, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  12. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was kind of a mix of light showers, rain and clouds so not a good day to ride in the mountains. So i just spent the day with Sandra. We went to Filandia to buy food and have lunch.

A few pictures of Filandia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being arrested in Filandia would not be so bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I'm going add a few pounds, I love bunuelos and never knew they were made with cheese.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where I buy my eggs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jowul, CalamariKid, Foiler and 8 others like this.
  13. Quindio

Oddometer:
    I was able to go for a ride up above Salento until I reached the clouds, then visibility is not so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friends Mike's hostel. I did not go to visit because Mike is in Canada right now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jowul, osmola, Foiler and 1 other person like this.
  14. Quindio

Oddometer:
  15. Quindio

Oddometer:
    It was so nice to finally get out and do what I love to do. I was not able to go up any higher as it was white out and not long after I turned back it rained. The weather changes fast here.

On my way back home not far from my place I seen a couple with a 650 Vstrom that were broken down at the side of the road. I stopped and turned around then i could see their motorcycle had caught on fire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had just visited Filandia and then were on the way to Medellin when the fire started. Lucky for them a car behind them stopped right away and a man ran out
    with a fire extinguisher. He does ride prepared because he has a large fire extinguisher on his bike.

I told them I just lived down the road and we went there. I have lots of tools and parts.
    [​IMG]

His motorcycle was only running on one cylinder. We tried but I'm guessing some wires were melted. He wanted to try a new spark plug and we did but no go.
    [​IMG]

Being late in the day and the Suzuki dealers closed they decided to ride to Pereira. They had called friends that lived there so they would ride on one cylinder slowly.
    [​IMG]
    jowul, osmola, CalamariKid and 5 others like this.
  16. Quindio

Oddometer:
    On the weekends a family set up shop in front of my place cooking Colombian food. So I don't need to go far for lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grandmother, Mother, Daughter.
    [​IMG]
    jowul, trespalacios, osmola and 5 others like this.
  17. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pictures @Quindio! I know we're spoiled here in the PNW with lots of green and lush vegetation; but wow - the landscape and scenery there is amazing. You've said it before, but that T660 looks to be a perfect fit for that terrain. Have you taken it off into any single track there? I remember reading a report some time ago about a Columbian ex-pat here who went back with a group of his friends and did an off-road tour. The pics and video he posted were kinda nuts - pretty technical stuff (the kind of crap I enjoy on my 2-stroke...not so much on anything bigger...lol).

Your other post on the Strom fire...damn. Any clue as to the cause of the fire? That's a seriously shitty thing to have to deal with whilst out adventuring - that couple looks to be really traveling too. Good on you for helping out, bringing them back to your place to see if there was anything to be done. Crazy that they rode on one cylinder; at least they were able to get going.

Appreciate the pics and update, especially as my bike sits lonely in the garage. Keep 'em coming :thumb
  18. Quindio

Oddometer:
    I would say the Tenere is a little top heavy for some single track. I wouldn't want to be riding along the edge of a cliff but on trails it's great. I get invited to go riding with a club in Armenia. There is around 600 hundred members. They mostly do Sunday rides to different towns but no single track.

The riding here is amazing, kind of like riding in Mexico with the ever changing landscapes from jungle to sand, Pacific to Caribbean.

I'm not sure what made it catch on fire? The rear fairing was on fire and all the plastic.
  19. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the photos and the read here in Canada east. My winter misery continues. However next winter will be spent parked on Baja beaches while wandering with the wr250r. Do continue.
    liv2day likes this.
  20. Quindio

Oddometer:
    "My winter misery continues" lol......that is why I'm here in Colombia. Baja is a perfect escape from the cold. I loved riding there on my trusty old KLR.
    [​IMG]
    It had rained in Baja and very strange to see the landscape green.
    jowul, BigDogRaven, osmola and 3 others like this.