Gone riding for the winter. Be back in the spring.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Quindio, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O, been Baja way few times. Well know what it is. Although a rather long commute from my corner. More than double what Vancouver to Baja be. Yes , have never seen Baja that green. But as you can likely guess from my handle the drive is not that big a deal. Live large, it’s the only way.
    Quindio likes this.
  2. Quindio

Quindio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lunch at my place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sleepy farming town of Filandia is turning into a real tourist destination on the weekends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jowul, trespalacios, osmola and 8 others like this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a f*cking killer shot of your bike @Quindio! Wondering if you could fit a bit more stuff on it though :lol3 :lol3.

Seriously man, that's a great shot - curious what you did to it in post?

I love Baja, spent just over 3 weeks there in '18 - riding 14 days and hanging out with my family when they flew down for 9. Not sure when I'll go back again, but I can't wait. And I really need to find a way to Columbia.

4. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. Just saying :super thanks
  5. Quindio

Oddometer:
    I like to use Photoshop sometimes when I have some free time. It was my second time riding in Mexico and brought way too much camping gear, that shot is minus one other duffel bag. I have learned to travel a lot lighter now.

Baja is so much fun to ride and have the best fish tacos in Mexico.
    liv2day likes this.
  6. Quindio

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to get out today and get a few pictures. It has been raining hard all night and just stopped now. Soon it's time for a road trip. Just waiting for Richards brother, wife, friend and his wife to get to Colombia in a few days.
  7. Tomaso

Tomaso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loving your report, Quindio.

You mention Baja as having the "best fish tacos in Mexico". That alone (for me anyway) could be a mighty compelling reason for a trip down there. What about Colombian cuisine? Is it inspiring, like Mexican food can be? I ask because, in your photos, I see how spicy and beautiful and imaginative some of those village streets look. Do Colombians think in the same way when it comes to food?
    Quindio likes this.
  8. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow what fabulous photography and Colombia looks like great place to ride
    Quindio likes this.
  9. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Road trip - cool. Where you gonna go ?

I notice from the map that you have three snow capped active volcanoes within about 40 miles of Filandia. Can you get close enough to get a good picture of one of them ? I mean Ruiz, Santa Isabel and Tolima.

There are a few similar, even higher, mountains near the Caribbean coast ( Cristobal Colon and Simon Bolivar) and I was within about 30 miles, but never got a decent sighting. Always in the clouds or with other smaller mountains in the way.

Also, I see on the map a road through Nevados National Park. From N -S it goes from La Esperanza through San Ignacio and ends in Armero. Do you know if that is passable ? It looks very curvy, possibly dirt, probably with some very good views.
  10. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. Bumps Colombia higher on the list.
    liv2day likes this.
  11. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Hola Tomaso, Soy Sandra
    La comida Colombia es deliciosa, colorida porque se utlilizan diferentes productos, la hacen unica en el mundo, la gente es amable, feliz. En los pueblos y ciudades puedes observar pequenos y grandes restaurantes, alli encontraras nuestra gastronomia chorizos, tamal, sopas como sancocho, ajiaco, consome de pollo, arroz con pollo y mas, La comida es acompanada de aderezos picantes a tu gusto, siempre en la mesa encontraras aji y salsas haciendola deliciosa.
    Recomiendo a mi pais como destino turistico para tus viajes en moto es divertido e inolvidable.
    jowul, Champe and caribryder like this.
  12. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Colombia is made for riding a motorcycle, I have maybe around 60,000 km of riding here and have so many more places to go see and explore.
    jowul and liv2day like this.
  13. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Hola Champe,

You can climb to the summit but there are no roads. The Tolima Volcano you can get very close and when I ride there I'll get some pictures. Very beautiful there with a forest of some of the tallest wax palms in the world.

Nevados National Park is where I plan to go riding and yes you can get through. A really nice ride on road is Manizales to Honda. The summit is around 12,000 feet and the views are spectacular. I have turned off of route 50 and taken the Manzanares-Petaqueros road and it's a great ride through the valley and small farming towns. It's a mix of road and dirt. You end up in La Dorada on the Magdalena river. I love taking that route.

As for a road trip, not too sure yet? You guys and gals with be the first to know.
    jowul likes this.
  14. Quindio

Oddometer:
    I hope you can make it here soon to go explore Colombia yourself.
  15. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Good morning and Happy New Year from my house.
    IMG_20200101_061250.jpg
    08StangGT_CS, jowul, Foiler and 6 others like this.
  16. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I took a nice ride to the town of Quimbaya a small farming town not too far from Filandia. The difference in weather in such a short distance is amazing. The temperature rise is at least 10c. So from 20c to 30c and passing many farms along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jowul, liv2day, dano619 and 3 others like this.
  17. Tomaso

Tomaso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL! I never thought my ADV handle would backfire on me, but it did. "Tomaso" ain't my name, just a moniker my brothers would call little old Tommy from time to time. Who knows, maybe I chose it as a reflection of my yearning to one day ride South America. Anyway, no hablo espanol. But I glean from your answer that you do like Colombian cuisine, so there's that.

And obviously you're passionate about Colombia; I see it in all you show and say. I've been batting the big question around quite a bit lately - which South American country do I most want to explore on a motorcycle with my wife before I'm dead? They all look great, but thanks to you and Champe and others, it's going to be Colombia.

Your pics pop!
  18. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Hi Tomaso, I'm Sandra
    Colombia food is delicious, colorful because different products are used, they make it unique in the world, people are friendly, happy. In the towns and cities you can see small and large restaurants, there you will find our gastronomy chorizos, tamale, soups such as sancocho, ajiaco, chicken soup, rice with chicken and more, The food is accompanied by spicy dressings to your liking, always in the table you will find chili and sauces making it delicious.
    I recommend my country as a tourist destination for your motorcycle trips is fun and unforgettable.
    08StangGT_CS, Tomaso and OV10 like this.
  19. Quindio

Oddometer:
    In the morning Sandra and I went to meet Richard and Jenny for a ride to Bolívar, Valle del Cauca. It's about one and half hours ride from Armenia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Quindio

Oddometer:
    IMG-20200101-WA0005.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only drawback I have about riding with other people is I don't stop enough to take pictures. When I ride solo I'm always looking for a picture to take.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very popular in Colombia are fishing ponds where you go catch your lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can ride just about anything in Colombia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I was putting my helmet back on there was a bee inside and stung me twice. Tip to ones self, check helmet before putting back on.

[​IMG]