Gone riding for the winter. Be back in the spring.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Quindio, Dec 7, 2019.

1. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Filandia is so much more lovely than nearby Salento. I'm a bit sorry to see that it has become a tourist attraction like Salento. 4 years I went on a roundabout ride from Salento to Armenia and stopped there and loved it because of the authentic character and lack of tourists. Best pandebono I've had in Colombia.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jowul, Quindio and Champe like this.
  2. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pandebono - OK , Sent me to the google translator. As often happens, the translation was "pandebono" - not very helpful. But a regular google search gives the answer. It is cheese bread, made with yucca flour. No gluten. I want some.

Also, I like the small amounts of Spanish sprinkled into these reports. My level of Spanish is only partial - less than half way through Duolingo, so it makes me work a little. Sandras contribution was perfect. I think she is keeping it simple for us beginners.
    08StangGT_CS and Tomaso like this.
  3. Quindio

Quindio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with you for sure. I remember talking to the mayor of Filandia a few years ago and he was saying that he was trying to get Filandia known as a tourist town. Back then there was not even a hostel there. Now there are lots. When I first went to Salento 5 years ago there was maybe 50 hostels, now there are over 250 with the town population of 9000.
    I guess it's a good thing for economy of the towns but for us adventure riders it's what we try and avoid. I'm happy to say Colombia is still full of small towns and villages where you will still be the token gringo.
    jowul, Scribe and Tomaso like this.
  4. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Pandebono is the bread I buy every day in Filandia, it cost 2000 pesos at the bakery.
  5. Tomaso

Tomaso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vicmitch, sorry to hijack this thread, but gotta know - how did you get your Victory from Brooklyn to Argentina? Specifically over that little gap in the road called the ocean.
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful updates @Quindio! I'd like to comment on every image, but there are far too many excellent shots to do so. The sunrise shot from your place. Damn, believe that's something I could get used to. Reminds me of some of the views I had when waking up on the Cortez side of Baja, spectacular.

Not sure if it's just the time of year or something else, but when taking that ride to the small farming town with your friends - looks like it might have crossed a dry zone or area that doesn't get as much rainfall? Mountains look similar to what I see when crossing the Cascades in OR to the high desert side of OR.

Bummer about the bee in your helmet, remember a time when finding an earwig in mine, thankfully before throwing it over my head.

Beautiful countryside and scenery man, thanks for posting :thumb
    Quindio likes this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    One time between Sacramento and Tahoe I suddenly had a bee inside my helmet bouncing between my face and the shield. I have no idea where he came from or how he got there. Traffic was heavy. I was in an all-out panic to get onto the shoulder and stop while looking crosseyed at the damned thing. I never got stung but it was a hair raising minute or two.
    08StangGT_CS and Quindio like this.
  8. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Click on the link and read the ride report
    Brooklyn to Argentina on a Salvaged Victory
    pro69ss, roadcapDen and Quindio like this.
  9. Quindio

Oddometer:
    A few more pictures from the other day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

time for a cafe stop to let the showers pass.

[​IMG]

A great day of riding with friends.
    jowul, BryanQ and roadcapDen like this.
  10. Quindio

Oddometer:
    It's a ever changing landscape and as you get closer to Cali it does dry up and gets very hot. The area we were in was wine country and sugarcane.
    jowul and liv2day like this.
  11. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was a BBQ at my place. First off to Filandia to go shopping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dubar and Diana

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Good morning.
    IMG_20200104_062808.jpg

I got out my to do list yesterday and nothing was accomplished, I did manage to clean and lube my chain on my motorcycle. This afternoon Richards brother and friends arrive from Canada so we will meet them at the airport in Armenia.

In Salento I think the towns birthday celebration begins for 5 days of partying. The town is crazy with people and I have seen traffic backed up for 10km of Kaos. Lots of fun though with live music and dancing.
  13. Quindio

Oddometer:
  14. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the photos. The green landscape with mountains and sky in the background is very calming. And not at all busy - so would make a good wallpaper background for a computer screen.
    You do great work with people and food too. Keep it coming.
    liv2day and Quindio like this.
  15. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Good morning from my place.
    IMG_20200104_061309.jpg

Yesterday we went to the airport in Armenia to meet Richards brother and friends who arrived from Canada.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jenny's uncle who owns a taxi to give the 4 of them a ride to Jenny's place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Jenny's place.
    [​IMG]

The boy's were eager to try out the Vstroms
    [​IMG]

A short ride to Jenny's parents house to borrow a few helmets.
    [​IMG]

Then to my friends Ricardo's shop to buy helmets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then to centro to buy some boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    stromsavard likes this.
  16. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice @Quindio! Love the shot of the Strom parked inside in front of the couch :lol3 :D

Don't remember if you said previously - where did the other Tenere come from? Your buddy Richard's? Cool shot of the bikes lined up, a couple of Yammies and Stroms.

What's the dude in the mask handling/doing?

Great to see all the smiles, looks like those folks are in for a heck of a vacation if they're getting outfitted for riding :-)
    dano619 likes this.
  17. Quindio

Oddometer:
    The guy in the mask is making Jalea de pata de res, same as the lady in the gif picture in Filandia.
    The other Tenere was mine but I sold it to Richard last year because he was riding a DR200 and it was too slow and I kept having to wait for him. I'm hoping they will get the new 700cc Tenere here soon.

Richard brother and friends arrived here with no riding gear and yes they will be going riding for a few months.
    jowul, 08StangGT_CS and liv2day like this.
  18. Quindio

Oddometer:
    Well yesterday was a get used to riding in Colombia day with me and Richard giving some tips on what to expect and watch. We decided to meet in Salento for brunch so Sandra and I left for Salento from my place in Filandia. When we turned off the hwy and down towards Salento we only made it around a few corners when we came to a stop. I was guessing the traffic was backed up for around 8km. Even on a motorcycle with the road being so narrow you can not pass the parked cars that are at a stand still. So we turned around and went back up to the hwy to wait for them.
    [​IMG]

I stopped them before they rode down towards Salento and we decided to have brunch in Filandia at my favorite restaurant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for a shoe shine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then time for a ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jowul, BigDogRaven, liv2day and 4 others like this.
  19. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the deal with Colombia helmet law ?

My take is that it requires helmets in the whole country, but it is not enforced outside of cities. Is that right ? I noticed that the vast majority of small town locals do not wear helmets. But everyone in the city does.

And numbers required on helmets for both driver and passenger. I would suppose that a foreign plated bike would be exempt from that.

How about vests ? In Bogota the dealer made sure I was wearing a reflective vest when I took the bike for the first ride. Do you know if reflective clothing is required everywhere (other than Bogota) at night ?
    Quindio likes this.
  20. terryna

terryna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following[​IMG]
    Quindio likes this.