Good Boots?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TCAir, Jul 30, 2001.

1. TCAir

TCAir n00b

Oddometer:
    :confused:
    I am looking for a good pair of Adventure boots. Most of my riding is on road with the off road consisting of jeep trails and fire roads (and the occasional field). I am looking for a boot that is comfortable with a replaceable lugged outsole. Shin protection moderate.

Most boots I see are a MotoCross boot with a street sole. That is backwards from what I am after. Does anyone have any ideas.

TC Air
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
  2. engineer

engineer lookee lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really liked my Sidi GT boots, a highly regarded waterproof touring boot, until my recent get-off. The boots have ankle protection on the inside (tibia) but not on the outside (fibula). So guess what happened when the bike landed on my ankle? Fractured fibula (It's almost fully recovered now, thank you)

The Sidi GT's were comfortable, waterproof, decent shin protection, easy entry with velcro closures, good non-slip soles.... But my next pair of boots will have ANKLE PROTECTION ON BOTH SIDES! :mad:
  3. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I, ummm, like mobility....I like to hike when I get there so I err on the side of comfort and one of these days I'll prolly have an accident that will change my mind. But in the meantime, I sure do like boots that allow you to zip around on trails and wear at work without looking too strange. The Sidi Motosports are my kind of compromise between absolute protection and not feeling like I'm Neil Armstrong trying to walk on the moon.

:legs
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Baldy...no offense intended, but those shoes are gay :ymca

These boots are not gay, and are what I like to wear on my GS:

[​IMG]
  5. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Fish,

Nice boots. Very butch. Are those the Gore-Tex boots or the Kalahari boots?

Yours manfully, with lots of testosterone,
    :shoot
    Sid.
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    AR AR AR (said in my best Tim Allen voice). I mean come on...they look like ballet slippers.

Both. Kalahari GoreTex. Better go check 'em out before BMW replaces them with little anklet boots in orange and blue.

fish:defend
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    did you see this shit? looks like a hermit crab. I believe you could use those ballet boots on this bike and fit right in.

[​IMG]
  8. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Geez, fish, now you've done it. I'm in enough trouble with my wife for what I spend on motorcycling and now I've gotta go get expensive boots so I don't look gay. But since you insist... :evil

Baldy
  9. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree with you more. What a P.O.S.!!! :rofl Might as well just get a scooter or moped - they're a LOT cooler!
  10. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Fish,

I found a place where I can buy the Kalahari boots for about $100 less than MSRP. How do the sizes fit... normal, bigger, smaller?

I heard some people think they're uncomfortable, but I'm guessing that manly men don't worry about such trivia.
    :lift
    Thanks in advance,
    Sid.:lift
  11. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Where? I'm on the hunt for some of these. I found 'em for $245 at http://www.rpmcycles.com/boots.htm

I don't get how comfort is relevant. They look gnarly. What am I missing?

Actually, I've heard they're more comfortable than the Aerostich Combat boots, which are stiffer. But I'll defer to someone who's put real miles on them.

Baldy
  12. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have to cast my vote with the Aerostitch Combat Touring Boot- got mine a couple of years ago and they wear like iron.

It is my impression that they're made by Sidi in Italy, and if I remember correctly tend to run small- my euro size is 43-44, and in the boots I wear a 45.

Two things- I hate the beige/off white color of the sole as shown in the catalog, so I took a magic marker and made the edges black-far more manly....Also call Aerostitch and ask them if they have anymore of the lot that had the velcro reversed on the leg tabs-fully functional-they were blowing them out at bargain basement prices-thought about buying 2 pairs, but I doubt these'll ever wear out.

Great ankle/shin protection-comfortable on short walks-like in and out of restaurants-these boots ooze testosterone...
  13. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Baldy,

Yup, that's the same place I found them. Here's hoping they have my size (41.)

Reading the stories about crushed feet made me rethink my practice of wearing comfortable LL Bean GoreTex boots. Bummer.:cry

I've been sweating the details of getting safer gear while riding in hot Atlanta. Waterproof gear seems superfluous... I'm soaking wet even on sunny days!

Sid.
  14. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aerostitch Combat Touring Boots. I put 6500 miles on my new Combats on the way to Redmond and back and fell in love with these boots. Yes the "honey colored" sole is a little weird, but I took mine to a cobbler (not the peach kind) yesterday to have a very manly Vibram Montagna sole on them. The boots are no more stiff than a good pair of work boots, and break in pretty much the same. I wore mine in into the river behind my house and walked and rode in them untiul they were dry, I then gave them a very liberal coating of Sno-Seal (you could make Vitorias Secret lingerie waterproof with this stuff), I experienced no leakage of any sort on the trip(not a reference to Victorias Secret, thats another kind of leakage). I rode through hail, heavy rain, snow and a few stream crossings, but the boots never leaked. I would reccomend a pair of Superfeet insoles though.

The best part is they aren't near as "gay" looking as Baldy's fancy-boy boots. :evil