Good Day Rides from Chicago Western Suburbs

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Mike M, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moving back to Chicago, born and raised there but didn’t own a motorcycle at that time.

Looking to figure out some good day rides from Naperville area. My typical day rides are between 150 to 250 miles. Any good ones near there?
  2. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will highly recommend buying @Daleah's driftlessroadadventures.com GPS catalogue of routes. I can ride and adjust a route pretty well but these routes are a great base to start from.
    Parcero likes this.
  3. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the shout out @DSquared !! We have lots of great rides in the Driftless Area and 3 themed rides centered in Watertown, WI. We have also been working on some gravel rides if that's your bag, but we haven't finalized them yet.

Happy Riding!!
  4. Mike M

Oddometer:
    @Daleah, so glad I was steered to the Driftless website by @DSquared. Having grown up in Chicago, I knew there was great riding nearby in Wisconsin—very happy to see so many great looking rides. I look forward to exploring the website and making plans for rides in 2021!
  5. franko58

franko58 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike M: I replied with a personal message to a similar request;

I see that you are going to be in Palmyra. This might be of interest to you.
    http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbt...y++Tazaroo/Search/true/hey-tazaroo#Post599781
    I posted it a while ago and it is my go to ride for visiting friends.

Along with ; Just info for the next time. If you do the ride later in the day, a few places to think about stopping are Rushing waters https://www.rushingwaters.net/ , south of Palmyra on Hwy H.
    At Bluff Rd. and Nature Rd., if you turn right instead of left, this will take you into the town of Troy. A Place named Barleys https://www.facebook.com/Barleys-Hops-Malt-722458454469058/ .
    When you are on the road between Upper and Lower Nemahbin Lake, several places are there.
    Hog Alley https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...af59b98dea08e7b5!8m2!3d43.058193!4d-88.428562 , which is a Harley bar.
    Panga Bar and grill http://barpanga.com/ that is also a watercraft rental place http://nomadboardsports.com/ .
    If you need to stop and stretch your legs, At the intersection of Hwys Z, ZZ, and H, just outside of Palmyra is Carlin Weld Park http://www.jeffersoncountywi.gov/de...tments/parks/carlin_weld_park.php#prettyPhoto
    It has pit toilets, if you really have to go, upper and lower walking trails. If the water level is high, 2 of the loops don't go all the way through, but it makes a good place to stretch.
    I hope this information helps you enjoy your next ride up here.
    Mike M likes this.
  6. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Your paved routes are awesome! It will be great to see what you come up with for gravel and dirt.
  7. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Kane County has some nice gravel roads, if you’re into that. Here’s a shot from a ride on November 22, 2020.

IMG_7287.jpg
    Xchemie likes this.
  8. Mike M

Oddometer:
    Are they mostly around the Fox river valley?
  9. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Those pictures were taken on an 80-mile route that runs mostly west and southwest of Aurora. Starting point was about halfway between Kaneville and Big Rock.
  10. Parcero

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of GPX files of nice dirt and gravel routes in Kane, Dekalb, and Grundy Counties. Some of those roads do seem to be getting paved over rapidly.
  11. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There are a number of rides in this catalog that you might find entertaining and within reach for a day ride. Hope it proves helpful. https://cannonshot.net/wp/category/gps/

If you ride one of the Rustic Road loops you can get a patch from the state.
    Parcero likes this.
  12. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a couple of gravel routes finished, but in the Southwest corner of Wisconsin. I bit of a trek to get there. We have a few others north of LaCrosse also.

Let me know if you are interested. Still in Beta testing so no guarantees, LOL
    Parcero likes this.
  13. Stujiro

Stujiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi neighbor! I live down in Bolingbrook and often go exploring on Saturday morning rides. I could probably dig through my gps logs and put together a few decent routes.

I usually head south west towards starved rock and just turn on whatever terrible (awesome) looking roads I can find. There is good stuff down by the Illinois river and getting into starved rock is quite good. Going up towards galena is great once you get there, but it’s big empty boring farmland for the first two hours.
    Mike M and Parcero like this.
  14. Mike M

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the insight. I'll be looking at those routes---like to put together some day-rides with 50-50 pavement and gravel/dirt. Usually like to put together 175-250 mile day---round trip.

Southwest of St. Louis had lots of good gravel and graded dirt roads (see below), hope to find them here too.

[​IMG]
    Parcero likes this.
  15. Deming

Deming Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Send me PM. I am located near Glenview area ( North Shore). My buddy rides a KTM 1050 and I ride an Africa Twin We know where many of the good back roads are located.
    Mostly gravel. We also have the ability to trailer three big Adventure Bikes pretty much anywhere in a three/four state region on most weekends. This is what we prefer to do if time allows.
    baowow likes this.
  16. baowow

baowow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in these backroads you speak of. I live Northside Chicago in Jefferson Park and work in Wilmette and ride a KLR
  17. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Deming

Deming Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The back roads / gravel roads we typically ride are not in the Chicago-Land area.
    We typically put them on the trailer and haul them out of the area.
    The Dekalb / Sycamore area does have some nice rural roads as does SE Wisconsin.
    Are you comfortable on single track rides with that KLR ?
  19. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should elaborate on this track link to say that much of it is obviously more than a day ride from the Chicago area. I believe you will discover that although there are a few closer routes that are certainly more enjoyable than city driving, the memorable riding is going to involve multiple days to truly enjoy. The important thing is to just get out and explore. You may happen upon unexpected treasure no one else has discovered. Oh and one more item. This track is somewhat dated and certainly there will be changes such as road closures, missing bridges and the like. Sure I should update things but your own re-routes are where those treasures may lie. Ride safe and enjoy.
    Parcero likes this.
  20. baowow

baowow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys trailer the Africa twin and KTM out? Yes, I'm ok with doing single track on the KLR. It'll be slow going though.