good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tallbaldrider, Sep 17, 2019.

1. tallbaldrider

tallbaldrider still a n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fellow inmates, I saw this ad in the FM for a Dan Moto exhaust. Other than the weight saving, which does it really make a difference on these huge bikes, why do riders do this? Would this be a bad thing to do to my R1150GSA with 64K miles? Thanks in advance for your opinion. 2019-09-17_10-13-41.jpg 2019-09-17_10-14-02.jpg
    2019-09-17_10-13-41.jpg 2019-09-17_10-14-02.jpg
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Lighter weight. Better looks if you are in to that. You could either lose or gain one or two horsepower....but you for sure won’t gain any significant hp. A lot of guys do it for the sound. I do.
    rg sw wa. and tallbaldrider like this.
  3. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought that was pretty cool...

I have the Dan Moto Y-pipe (and Jesse's) that this would feed into "perfectly". I've always heard that the DM exhaust with Y-pipe is too loud but one or the other is good. I like the sound/function of the Y-pipe with stock exhaust. I've run it with just a down pipe (too loud).

I think the cat restricts it more than the muffler but YMMV.
    tallbaldrider likes this.
  4. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not my cup of tea but if it fits your needs why not? Plus for $125 I don't think you can go wrong, don't like it put it up for sale and recoup your money.
    AZgman and tallbaldrider like this.
  5. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that just an extension to move the exhaust pipes out past your bags? Of is that a header replacement that removes your cat and and muffler and stuff?
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    it replaces the muffler. It has an extension to move it out past the end of the bags. Without the extension, the bracket would mount to the stock muffler location and the exhaust pipe would be lower (as shown in the pics) but not all the way extended to the rear.

So, it would connect to the rear side of the cat converter.
  7. tallbaldrider

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the feedback. I think it looks good with cases on but not without and I go back and forth with those set ups.
  8. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take your muffler off and start it up. You'll get an idea of just how loud it will be before you buy.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  9. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    That's a good suggestion and it may actually work even better with turn-down muffler tip ie. completely without slip-on... Added benefit is running full size LH bag too! :deal
  10. tallbaldrider

Oddometer:
    Remembered I had done this a couple of years ago. I did not post it because there was an error in my method. I had the meter and the motorcycle in the same place for both tests, but after removing the muffler, the point at which the sound was being produced (the end of the muffler vs. the end of the cat) was about 18 - 20 inches further away from the meter, so the readings can't be exactly compared. The reading appeared to be lower with the muffler removed, but i bet it would be higher if I had moved the meter a muffler's length closer.

Muffler installed:
    muffler installed.jpg
    Muffler removed:
    muffler removed.jpg

Attached Files:

11. tallbaldrider

Oddometer: