Good maps of BC/Yukon?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hez, Aug 12, 2006.

1. hez

hez no longer rational

Oddometer:
    Hey, is there a good brand of old-fashioned (ie, paper and ink) topo maps of Britsh Columbia and the Yukon? I've had pretty good success planning trips with my old Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer maps of the lower 48, but I'm having trouble finding something comparable for Canadian Provinces. I've seen the digital Topo Canada from Garmin, and I guess I could go that way if all else fails.
  2. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    It seems most people think the Garmin North America MetroGuide is better than the topo version. I guess it depends on what you are looking for....
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
  4. Yukoner

Yukoner Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I like the Canadian maps for pilots in 1:500,000 scale. Certainly not the cheapest way to go but they cover a reasonable amount of ground and show the bigger trails if you are contemplating exploring.
    You can get them at the second link on the above post and click on aeronautical maps and then select VNC type.
  5. Borogove

Borogove Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have some of the Backroad Mapbooks for BC and AB, they are excellent for planning out routes. There are digital topos available but the cost is pretty steep but they are are useful for doing GPS routes. Also, there is a 6 map set from the BC gov. that covers all of BC, this is good for general routing info and for office wallpaper. I get most of my maps and GPS stuff from Maptown here in Calgary (good place to get DeLormes). They used to have all of the BC Minstry of Forests maps but have not updated the stock in a long time.

Not sure about good sources for the Yukon, maybe a northern mining atlas?

PB