1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Good route from Washington DC to TAT Tailhead in Jellico TN?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by RenoMoto, Feb 4, 2008.

1. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good route from Washington DC to TAT Tailhead in Jellico TN?
    Hello:

I am planning a TAT trip this summer and plan to ship my bike to Washington DC (friends house) and then ride DC to Jellico, TN to catch the TAT home to Reno NV.

I see the Blue Ridge mountains run right along the Virginia border towards Jellico. Is there a better more scenic and or interesting route?? I am thinking I will do most of this route on pavement - lots of dirt on the TAT!

Thanks!
    Mike
  2. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    My wife and I rode our bikes just west of DC down into South Carolina.
    We started on the North end of the Skyline Drive which runs into the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Skyline Drive is 105 miles long and the speed limit is 35 MPH - enforced by Kamikaze deer. The Blue Ridge Parkway's speed limit is 45 MPH and runs all the way into Tennessee.

As far as I can tell, the Skyline Drive then the Blue Ridge Parkway is the most direct scenic route. Plenty of scenery, but slow going. You aren't going to do it in 2 or even maybe 3 days - might take 4. If you took your time to explore the nearby roads, you could go weeks.

My "trip report" is here: link here.

We rode it in August during the heat wave. It comfortable riding in the mountains. Incredible heat off the Parkway at lower elevations.

The North end of the Skyline drive is N38° 54.44' W78° 11.88'
    The North end of the Blue Ridge Parkway is N38° 54.44' W78° 11.88'
    The South end is N35° 30.325' W83° 18.083' which, by the way is pretty close to the much hyped and dangerous Deal's Gap which is a really nice road if it weren't for the kooks and noobs that ride there. Make your own decision on whether or not to ride it.

I think the Cherohala Skyway is some of the best riding that I have ever been on. It's not far from the South end of the Blue Ridge Parkway: N35° 20.4575' W83° 49.0191'

The Cherohala ends in Tellico Plains which is 125 miles south of Jellico.

Some pix:

off the Skyline drive: *I think
    [​IMG]

off the Blue Ridge Parkway:
    [​IMG]

the reason they are called The Smokeys
    [​IMG]

on Deal's Gap:
    [​IMG]

just off the Cherohala:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

on the Cherohala:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. JcbKarl

JcbKarl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the Blue Ridge Parkway. I don't know all the roads around there, but that'd be my choice. You can also do the Skyline drive at the north end. Sometimes I go out of my way to take that route when traveling from Kentucky to Philadelphia.
  4. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy a West Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme and travel through WV. The BRP is beautiful, but once you have seen 10 miles of it, you have seen it all ! Strict 45 mph speed limits, and RV's driven by blue hair's at 25 mph following behind chrome dripping cruisers doing 20 mph.