Good time to buy a new bike?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Hpcast, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Hpcast

Hpcast n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

With the covid, and sheltering in place. Is now the time to purchase a new bike??

your thoughts

Zach.
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe. I expect dealer deals in a couple months to clear inventory of what couldn't be sold now.

I'd also think lightly used bikes might become an even better bargain.
  3. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Dealers may be offering up some good deals....But agree with previous post....there may be some good private party deals. Lots of folks got hit hard and if you can help someone out, its a win win.
    NSFW and HBSURFDAD like this.
  4. Neville1111

Neville1111 Gone to have fun Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it was always a good time to buy a new bike?
    NSFW, Netaron, Davidprej and 9 others like this.
  5. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I got a good deal on a KTM790R a couple weeks ago, and I'm glad I did as production has temporarily halted. Researching upgrades and doing mods is a nice break from all the doom and gloom.
  6. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Um... are they essential? I mean are they even open right now? I thought all non-essential businesses in California are closed...
  7. goldentaco

goldentaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A local BMW/KTM dealer is offering Free pickup and delivery for Moto maint. Other service stations ( Big-O ,Oil Change places) are open too. I wouldn't be surprised if In store purchasing was limited to appointment only or some other way to keep peeps safe.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx

https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf

( Under Transportation: • Automotive repair and maintenance facilities)

J
  8. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *deleted*

Redundant.
  9. Hpcast

Hpcast n00b

Oddometer:
    In California. Shops I am looking at are appt only. I’m still looking, not getting any good discounts at this time.
    Thanks
  10. Garrett804

Garrett804 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know I'm in the market for a dual sport so I'm watching.....
  11. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am questioning how to read this,

Are you trying to help out a local shop, or take advantage of a s#itty situation for personal gain?

just for thought, will the local dealer survive this shut down? Maybe now is the time to buy parts or services (if you can) to help them through the tough times. That local shop that had that "filter/spark plug/whatever" you needed when you were leaving on a trip the next day might not be there in June.

@TemeculaTim said it right, help where you can, be part of the solution.
    CA Stu likes this.
  12. Motorius

Oddometer:
    The Fed is projecting a possible unemployment rate in the low 30% range.

I expect plenty of people will be in shitty situations and in need of cash in about 6-8 weeks and they'll be happy for anyone to bail them out of their excessive toys.
  13. Garrett804

Garrett804 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll be watching to see who I can help out with that.
    el Pete likes this.
  14. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whenever I've sold my bikes in the past I've always assumed the buyer was trying to take advantage of me and my situation for their personal gain. :lol3

My read is that there certainly will be good deals, if not now then very soon. My guess is there will be significant factory to dealer incentives as well. Not sure how the Federal stimulus package will affect the motorcycle industry though.

I wasn't specifically looking to buy a bike now, but maybe...
    Davidprej likes this.
  15. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    It's a great time to buy a used bike...just a thought.
  16. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    I've got a sweet 2008 Husky TE-610 that's well set up I'm thinking about selling...
  17. yellowcarbon

yellowcarbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the next month or two, sales people will drop their pants to make a sale. I am a landscape designer and am not playing around with pricing right now. I'll give my best price right off the bat and not wait to be asked for my best price (hoping they don't). I'm about to take a beating as my last 5 or 6 sure thing contracts are putting it off for a bit. But even during the 2009 recession, I did fine as people with money always have money. I suspect there is a batch of people who are doing better. I've already had a few law enforcement people say they want to remodel their back yard as they have lots of time on their hands and they are not worried about income.

Luckily I was always aware of how fragile the luxury sales market is (nobody really needs a pool or landscape), so I have always put away for a rainy day and will be fine for the next year or two. My wife is a teacher, so the dual income of my household really puts me in a position where I'm not frightened.

With that said, if you are looking at buying new, now is a great time to stop in and see what they are offering. Anything to get a cash flow right now will help any business. Hell, even if they 'lose' money on the deal, it may help them make payroll and keep the doors open for a bit longer.

There are a bunch of businesses that are going to get in trouble doing exactly what I just said they would do. They'll make bad sales to get cash flow and it will hurt them in the long run. I'm at the business I'm in because the previous business operated that way. When sales were down they would drop their pants and it clogged up production when it picked back up, costing them money.
    el Pete likes this.
  18. Motorius

Oddometer:
    Very wise advice indeed.

I think this still may be a bit early by a few weeks, but it doesn’t hurt to shop now, and see if they call you with a ‘better deal’...

19. Skrutzen

Skrutzen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been looking as well. Question about private sale though: Will you even be able to register the bike? DMVs are appointment only and I assume an appointment is difficult to get and AAAs are closed. A dealer can always handle that when you buy from them; it's the private party sale I'm concerned about. Any thoughts?
  20. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great question about registering a used bike. It's certainly different across states. NJ for example suspended until further notice registration on newly acquired vehicles from a private sale. Indiana on the other hand has kiosks that allow you to perform such tasks now. If I didn't see on a state's website specific instructions on how to perform a licensing task, I'd assume you'll have to wait for the DMV offices to open again.