Goodbye Alta - Operations Halted

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by trailrider77, Oct 18, 2018.

1. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats always the case when you step outside of the big name brands. It doesn't really matter what the product is.
  2. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I really think they needed to be street legal and sold where e-bikes are more commonly used as a mode of transport.
    Lots of EU cities are going electric and some soon to be non-EU cities like London as well.
    Those would have been a bigger market than as a playbike in the US. Apart from areas that have problems with noise levels why would you buy one in the US?
    Fuel is cheap and Alta's were not cheap to buy which makes them a high priced toy for most.
    C.Hensley and EvrythingAwesom like this.
  3. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    They have some street legal models, for the US anyway. The Alta Redshift SM was in my sights.... was.
    EvrythingAwesom and Mouse like this.
  4. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rarely buy "big name brands".

Even if the product fails, there's always the DIY fix later. Good help can be found in forums, like Endless Sphere, for orphaned electric 'cycles.
  5. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    There could be a fire-sale on the inventory on the sales floor.
  6. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    You, and the 120M Chinese ebikes sold annually, are both right, imo.
  7. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

When you said "EBR", I suspect you're referring to the popular Electric Bike Reports on Youtube. Imo, that guy is a paid flack, who censors/deletes comments that don't agree with his always-positive reviews of electric 'cycles of every kind, including electric trikes and electric "bikes with four wheels".

I have personally found EBR (Electric Bike Reviews or Electric Bike Reports) to be wholly unrealiable, and too much pro-seller biased.
  8. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:

Was "but not very comfy as you got into the fuel range" the deal-breaker for you?
  9. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect "EBR" in this case means Eric Buell Racing.
    Mattbastard likes this.
  10. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    No, it was the price. At the time an electric bike would have made sense. i lived in San Diego, and my commute to work was short, i just didnt have like 13 large for ANOTHER motorcycle... :nah
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  11. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    "It’s hard to imagine Alta Motors can fold, especially after producing highly focused electric motorcycles that won many races. Furthermore, it had 50% growth quarter to quarter in 2018, 1,000 units sold in 2018, a 300 unit backlog, and a network of 70 dealerships. It is hard to imagine no modern VCs snapping up that low-hanging fruit.

It would be easy to blame Harley-Davidson for the demise of Alta Motors after opening its own “research & development” center in San Francisco, where Alta Motors is headquartered. But we’ll wait for more information before dishing out that kind of judgment.
    "

^this
  13. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    Was the price $13K? Thought the net-cost was lower, after rebates and grants.

In one of the e-scooter forums, there's a post by a US buyer who acquired a new highway-capable, 60 mile range big e-scooter -- said his after-rebate prices was around $2K iirc. That post was maybe 5-10 years ago.

Btw, my health is priceless. That's why I prefer electric.
  14. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    it was in that ballpark, but i have no idea on the OTD price. this was a demo day at a local EV builder called EV West, they didnt actually sell Alta bikes. Alls i knew was a new bike like that would have really put me in the financial doghouse with the wife. considering these developments, glad i didnt buy one.

and id put money on that forum member bragging on his range being totally full of shit. ive dont a LOT of research into energy conversion of electric into highway speeds and power consumption and my bullshit meter is in the red.
    EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  15. EvrythingAwesom

Oddometer:
    It was in the VisForVoltage forum, iirc.
  16. Lotta Throttle

Lotta Throttle Been here awhile

Oddometer: