Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Albacore Redux Part 2 - Officer Country: I got lucky by having the submarine Albacore all to myself for a while yesterday. We entered the boat in the forward compartment, shown in the (from the internet) diagram below, which houses the fwd crews quarters escape trunk and sonar array (unseen).

[​IMG]

Stepping through the hatch into the officer country, the photo below shows a look back into the forward compartment.

[​IMG]

This compartment is officers' quarters.

[​IMG]

Immediately upon stepping in, there's the officer's wardroom pantry on the right, with a sliding window into the wardroom.

[​IMG]

Below are two views of the wardroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Across the hall is the CO's stateroom.

[​IMG]

That is followed by the officers stateroom, only part of which is shown below.

[​IMG]

The officer's head is, of course, nearby.

[​IMG]

Also in this compartment is the ship's office and attached comm center.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aft from officer country is the hatch into the control room.

[​IMG]

The control room will be part 3 of this RR. Part 3 to follow as soon as I get the pics converted and uploaded.
  2. Ed

Ed Eh...what?

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. One of your pics from the NEMM took me down memory lane. I had a KZ1000Z1R identical to the one you photographed, in the misspent days of my youth.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It strains the imagination to think that being young with a KZ1000 can be labeled as misspent youth but I think I know what you mean.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Albacore Redux Part 3 - Control Room: I got lucky by having the submarine Albacore all to myself for a while the other day. Having entered the boat from the forward crew compartment and worked through officer country, the third compartment explored is the control room. Below is what you see as first step through the hatch from officer country. Immediate to the right is the ladder up to the trunk into the sail, which has been walled off, probably for safety reasons, kids being what they are.

[​IMG]

Above, you get a look at the plot table and fathometer behind it. Below is the control section where the diving officer and helmsman sit.

[​IMG]

What the diving officer and helmsman keep an eye on. Being a research vessel, one might suspect this instrument panel saw a number of mods.

[​IMG]

Below is the view from the helmsman's station to the navigation center where the quartermaster of the watch would be stationed. In plain view is the IC switchboard that handles (i.e., connects or isolates) all interior communications links, including those for instrumentation.

[​IMG]

Below is a close up view of the periscope (not the boat's original).

[​IMG]

Moving aft past the control room, you find the sonar room and electronics control/gyro area.

[​IMG]

The sonar room aft wall is shown below containing the two sonar consoles (active and passive).

[​IMG]

On the sonar room's forward wall is the radar console, shown below.

[​IMG]

Across the way is the electronics/gyroscope area, which houses a Sperry Gyroscope.

[​IMG]

To the right in the picture above you can just see the edge of the black box that is the boat's LORAN unit, shown below.

[​IMG]

The next compartment is the crew quarters and mess . That will follow next when I get the pictures converted and uploaded.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Albacore Redux Part 4 - Crew Mess: As previously stated, I got lucky by having the submarine Albacore all to myself for a while. Having entered the boat from the forward crew compartment and worked through officer country, and the control room, the next compartment was the crew area. It consisted of the galley, scullery, crew mess, crew quarters and crew washroom/head. The first thing you see as you move aft through the hatch from the control room is the scullery on the left.

[​IMG]

Opposite the scullery on the port side is the galley, shown below.

[​IMG]

just past the galley is the crew's mess. The view below is looking aft towards the engine/machine compartment.

[​IMG]

Below is the view looking forward toward the control room.

[​IMG]

I didn't take any picture of the crew berthing area (i.e., the area opposite the mess and to the left in the view above) as it looks much like the bow berth area. I did take a picture of the crew's washroom and head, shown below. There are two stalls to the left, one with a head and the other with a head and a shower.

[​IMG]

Beyond the washroom/head is the hatch to the aft engine/machine room compartment, shown below.

[​IMG]

The engine/machine room will the the final, part 5 of this RR and will follow shortly.
  6. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    HAH!!!

We missed each other by a mere day! Dad and I were at the sub Tuesday afternoon after visiting Gloucester and driving down and up (on four wheels, unfortunately) US1 from Portland, ME.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, that was close. Would have loved to meet up. I hope you and your father are enjoying New England.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Remaining Albacore Pics To Follow: Am behind on the remaining Albacore RR pics, especially those of the boat's unusual radial diesel engines. Should have them up tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    The_Scottsman, bluestar and B10Dave like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Albacore Redux Part 5 - Engine Room: As previously stated, I got lucky by having the submarine Albacore all to myself for a while. Having entered the boat from the forward crew compartment and worked through officer country, the control room and crew's mess, the last compartment was the engine/mechanical space. It consisted of two radial diesel engines, two electric motors, two drive shafts (one inside another), and various pumps, compressors, desalination units and other mechanical gear. The first thing you see after stepping through the hatch into the engine space is the elevated engineering console, shown below.

[​IMG]

As you stand there looking at the engineering console (platform), you are standing between two rooms, each containing a radial diesel engine. Looking back towards the hatch, you are standing between the two encapsulated diesels.

[​IMG]

Each radial diesel engine is encapsulated in a sound-isolated space, like engine one below.

[​IMG]

The engines were modified GM EMD 16 series radials, two stroke engines like the one pictured above and below.

[​IMG]

These types of engines had been previously installed in Tang and Tench class subs but were later removed due to continuing problems (e.g., oil leaking down into the generators at the base of the engine). The removed engines served as parts for the Albacore's troublesome pair. Below are the best pictures I could get in the very limited space available to me (e.g., about enough to stick in my arm and camera). Like an idiot, I forgot my selfie stick. First up is the starboard engine.

[​IMG]

Opposite was the port side engine.

[​IMG]

Past the engines and to the right of the engineering console were two 300 gal./day distillation units that boiled seawater and condensed the steam to make potable water. One of the two is shown below.

[​IMG]

Going past the two distillation units and looking back, you can see them on the left. To the right is the propulsion machine space containing two electric motors.

[​IMG]

More stuff in the propulsion machine space:

[​IMG]

The view below looks down along the port side of the drive shafts toward the aft bulkhead. Electric motors are on the left.

[​IMG]

Below is the view you get sitting on the driveshaft looking at the starboard side of the boat.

[​IMG]

Below is the view looking forward along the port side of boat's drive shaft.

[​IMG]

Below is some starboard side machinery.

[​IMG]

Finally the last picture shows the aft bulkhead as you step over the shaft to exit.

[​IMG]

As with many of my RRs, I got too excited about all that I am seeing and missed a number of photo opportunities inside the boat. Forgetting the selfie stick to get into some tight spaces is an example. We will keep working on this.
  10. Ed

Ed Eh...what?

Oddometer:
    Very interesting tour. Thanks for posting. We have the USS Blueback at OMSI in Portland I need to visit someday.
    Here is a pic from my extended weekend trip a few weeks ago.
    The Sumpter Valley RR station in Sumpter OR. Unfortunately the train wasn't running on a Monday. I'll dig through my archive, I think I have photos of the train from a couple of years ago.
    Sumpter Station SM.jpg
    popscycle likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ed! What a great little station. Getting a shot of a train and that beautiful station would be "winner, winner, chicken dinner" and I'll buy.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ride Pic Addenda & Errata: Just some random pics taken while meandering around over the last few days, the first of which was some grass near railroad tracks that seemed to glisten in the sun.

[​IMG]

Rivers are low, which suggests area waterfalls won't be as scenic this fall.

[​IMG]

I could have ridden the bike across the bridge below, even though it was blocked. Being beyond the age where I have something to prove and crumbling concrete made me not want to.

[​IMG]

Passed this old mill building that I had shot previously but thought a side view might be interesting. The pic wasn't all that interesting but here it is anyway.

[​IMG]

More to follow.
  13. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those submarine pictures are something else, Radial 2-Stroke diesels, I cannot think of a worse choice in those close quarters for maintenance work.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Indeed, especially with them spanning two decks and being enclosed in a sound-proofing compartment where there wasn't much room to use a chain hoist or come-along for lifting/moving the heavy bits. I found it interesting to note that the predecessor, the GM 16-184 radial, was reputed to be very reliable and went into several sub chasers and other boats. More than 500 of them were produced. Source: Old Machine Press. It would be interesting to know what GM EMD did differently that made the 16-338 unreliable. We do know they leaked oil into the generator below (shown below).

[​IMG]
    K33 likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    ADV Riding Is Better Than Railfanning: I like to see and photograph trains just like the countless railfans that show up at the various places I go (i.e., rail yards, diamonds, rail line triangles, etc.). The big difference is mode of travel. For example, people from all over NE will drive their cages to places like the Palmer MA diamond or Ayer MA yard just to hang around and hope there will be a neat engine (e.g., a heritage unit) to see and photograph. Thus, a majority of their railfanning time is spent sitting around. By contrast, ADV train chasing has several advantages over the cagers. First, the bike can more go places the average railfan's car can't or won't (e.g., trails).

[​IMG]

Second, when your between places and trains, you get to really enjoy the scenery and the ride.

[​IMG]

Third, the ADV bike is superbly equipped for dealing with railroad terrain, which is often narrow sand and gravel paths that lead you to works of art, mechanical and otherwise.

[​IMG]

The remains of old train platforms are just the stuff ADV bikes were made for (provided you don't violate any safety protocols or restricted access postings).

[​IMG]

During those times when you don't find a train, you at least have the ride while the typical railfan tends to think they've ridden all that distance for naught. It's really simple math: Ride + Train = A Really Good Time.

[​IMG]

In that same vein: Ride + Train + Neat RR Stuff= A Really Good Time Made Better. When you're really hurting from some train action, there always a commuter train on tap.

[​IMG]

More to follow.
    dwellone, The Virginian, K33 and 5 others like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I had a nice ride to the Finger Lakes Region of N.Y. on Labour Day weekend to attend the Finger Lakes BMW Rally at Watkins Glen. My friend Maurice and I rode over to Hammondsport to see the Glenn H Curtiss
    Museum. Here are a few teasers from the Museum.

FLT16 001.jpg

FLT16 173.jpg

FLT16 172.jpg

FLT16 171.jpg

The museum is a victim of it's own success in that there are too many exhibits for the size of the building. The crowding makes picture taking a challenge but I have a bunch more to post later...Dave
    K33, bluestar, Ed and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    What motorhead doesn't like the big Wasp? Having a B36 fly over your head, as happened to me in my youth, is a most memorable experience with 6 of those big engines at full boogie. These days, if one is lucky enough to see a Wasp Major running, you have to settle for just one.

Ed likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Milling Around Pic: Stopped to take a picture of this beautiful old mill, one which nobody has found a use for. Once the home of the huge Draper Corporation, it now sits abandoned and largely demolished.

[​IMG]
    bluestar, B10Dave and The Opa like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Neat Old House: Saw this classic colonial while out riding the other day and thought it would make an interesting pic for those who like old homes in bucolic settings.

[​IMG]

More to follow: Have been doing more riding than picture taking of late while trying focus on getting better, rather than more, photos.

Edit Note: This and the house next door were subjects of some paintings my wife admired in a neighbor's home back in IL in the 1970s.
    bluestar, B10Dave and The Opa like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That 1700s House Was A Tavern: I often take what was once an old post road to head west rather than using the more heavily traveled Mohawk Trail, Mass Pike or Route 9. For over 35 years, I had been passing this old house without knowing what it was. Today, I took the time to stop take several pictures and find out.

[​IMG]

This building was originally the Richardson Tavern, constructed around either 1730 or 1760, depending on which source you believe. It was built by Benjamin Richardson, who was a captain in Revolutionary War. We do know he returned from the war and expended the tavern in 1777 to accommodate more travelers along the old post/stage road.

[​IMG]

The original parcel had 500 acres; however the property today, which is currently for sale, now only consists of several acres. In 1824, Benjamin's son enlarged the house again and added a ballroom on the second floor that has a barrel ceiling. As a fan of colonial buildings, I will try to get inside for some photos.

Hopefully, more to follow on this old gem.
    bluestar likes this.