Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    October 9th. Sunny. 80 F. Just had to take a ride looking for colour and trains. Peak colour around here is still a week or so away. Here is what I found in a woodlot near St. Thomas. Still muted but getting better.

train 007.jpg

In St Thomas I found Ontario Southland switching propane cars.

train 005.jpg

Then it was off to Dorchester to meet up with my riding buddy Maurice. We took a trip to Woodstock where we found OSR 1400 and 1401 idling in the CPR yard while the crew took their coffee break. 1401 is fresh out of the paint shop and 1400 will also be treated to a colour change in the near future.

train 009.jpg

We stopped at a motorcycle salvage business in Woodstock to inquire about a centre stand for Maurice's bike (no luck) and then continued to Tillsonburg to check if OSR was doing anything there today. Along with a bunch of stationary propane cars we found 8235 sitting and waiting it's next job assignment.

train 011.jpg

Having run out of close rail yards to check out we continued on to Port Burwell to look at Lake Erie and eat some ice cream. Then it was off to home where we discovered it was " beer thirty ". Good ride on a beautiful fall day and notched up just over 100 miles. Weather tomorrow promises more of the same so it will be back on two wheels again.....Dave
    MickeyDee, black 8, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are doing much better than I on both fall color and trains and we thank you for that. I will probably have you beat on tanks, though. :D
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 3: Last weekend, the redhead and I went to the Battle For The Airfields WWII Reenactment. Coincident was the "soft opening" of the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM). The AHM was the main reason for the ride. After waiting in line, sitting through the intro movie and diorama, I came out onto the mezzanine overlooking the exhibits. Below is another picture therefrom.

[​IMG]

More to follow - am way behind on converting from RAW.
    tjzondrz, black 8, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Brief Respite From Tanks: The object of today's ride was watching glass blowing and and having a first-class lunch with friends up in Quechee VT. Thought you might enjoy the pic of an artisan firing a goblet to accept and shape the stem.

[​IMG]
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the glass craftsman pic John. Only place I have seen glass blowing/craftwork was in Corning NY at a small shop and at the Corning Glass Museum. Very interesting work for sure. As I said in yesterday's post; today was again a beautiful day to get out, so get out we did, for about 200 miles altogether. We started by taking a ride west from home towards Thamesville Ont. We deviated from the regular route to ride the"River Road" which actually is made up of several connecting roads that follow the Thames river from the Moravian Town Indian Reserve to Chatham. About 35 kilometers of nice narrow curvy road. Then through Chatham and Wallaceburg to the St Clair Parkway which follows the St Clair River from Lake St Clair to Lake Huron at Sarnia Ont./ Port Huron Mi. We stopped for lunch at our favourite "chip stand" where the food is great and the scenery across the street is the river and and on the far bank Michigan. First pic of the day is this self unloading bulk carrier "Michipicoten"; bound down river to Lake Erie with tacconite ore pellets for the steel mill at Nanticoke.

train 010.jpg

Next stop was the CN rail yard in Sarnia where I took the next pic. Eight locomotives in one pic; is that a record? And no; I did not go beyond the No Trespassing signs. :-).

train 015.jpg

From Sarnia we headed in the general direction of home. On Confederation Road you can see the CN right of way so when we passed an eastbound train I decided to take a sideroad to the level crossing for the next two pics. This train had interesting power on the front end. One CN and one IC.

train 022.jpg

train 023.jpg

From there it was on to home and the finish of a great 200 mile day.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You did good on trains, Dave, and I think you've set the record on this thread for the number of locomotives in one pic (I counted 8). :clap The Illinois Central engine triggered the wife to remember how IC steamers that ran behind her parents' house back in the day would dirty the laundry hanging on the line.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 5: Last weekend, the redhead and I went to the Battle For The Airfields WWII Reenactment. Coincident was the "soft opening" of the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM), which was the primary reason for the ride. Below is one of the more colorful tanks in the exhibit.

[​IMG]

There was no placard on this or many other tanks, so I had no clue what it was. Nor did anyone who I asked. Subsequent investigation showed it was a WWII British Infantry Tank Mark II, also known as the "Matilda."

[​IMG]

The Matilda was a well-armored, infantry support tank mostly associated with the North Africa campaign in WWII. Designed in 1936, it was eventually replaced by the lighter and less-expensive Mark III "Valentine".

More to follow.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Redhead At A Bridge: With a steady diet of tanks and trains, perhaps a "bike at the bridge" shot will cleanse the pictorial palate. Again, it is one of my (many) favorite bridges.

[​IMG]

Happiness is loose, rattling, wood planks letting you know you're alive and having a good time.
  9. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been past this repair yard many times, finally got a chance to stop and take a few shots. Petaluma Calif. IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0147.JPG IMG_0144.JPG
    MickeyDee, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 6: Earlier this month, the redhead and I went to the Battle For The Airfields WWII Reenactment. Coincident was the "soft opening" of the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM), which was the primary reason for the ride. Below is another of the many tanks on exhibit.

[​IMG]

Being a special, early "soft opening", the exhibits were nearing completion but there were few explanatory placards. Later research showed this particular tank to be an early WWII, German Sdkfz 222 Leichter PanzerspƤhwagen or light recon vehicle. These were built by Horch (i.e. Auto Union, which is now Audi) and other companies from 1935 to 1944. Over 2,000 of these vehicles were built.

[​IMG]

The tank had a 3.8 litre V8 engine and could do 50 mph on a good road, carried a crew of 2 or 3 and had a maximum range of about 185 miles. The wire mesh on top of the turret for grenade protection (i.e., so they would roll off).

More to follow as time allows.
    tjzondrz, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Barnwood: I thought these old tobacco barns were somewhat picturesque.

[​IMG]

Taken several weeks ago before the leaves started turning, I just now got the image converted from raw.
    MickeyDee, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You Will Like It They Said : It was a nice, crisp fall day yesterday. I had planned to ride out to the Berkshires, chase trains and get some foliage pics. That didn't happen. The neighbors were having a party and, although new to the neighborhood, we were invited. The kids, who were both in LA this weekend, said we should go and that we'd like it. Not knowing much of anything about the party or any of the people, we got there after it started but earlier than many.

[​IMG]

It turned out that the neighborhood gathering was somewhat of a regular event with this one featuring another chili cook off, complete with a blues guitarist, plenty of beer and and a play/obstacle course and zip-line for the kids. Our hostess, who had some affiliation with a local beer brewer, had her own special pale ale on tap. At stake in all of this was a coveted chili-pot trophy with engraved names of winners - something akin to a cook's Stanley Cup.

[​IMG]

The neighbor's back yard, which also extends back a ways to protected wetlands, was the perfect playground for the children and had a kids' obstacle course set up. It's hard to see but there's a children's zipline back there.

[​IMG]

Some of the free-range chickens showed up looking for handouts. They chased, and were chased by, the kids. Although there's an abundance of coyotes, bears, bobcats, racoons, fishers, foxes and raptors in the area; a neighborhood dog seems to look after the chickens and only a few are lost each year.

[​IMG]

Accompanying the good food and beer was a very good blues guitarist.

[​IMG]

They said we'd like it and we did. We were warmly welcomed to the party and neighborhood. Thanks to Jenn and her family for this really great event. It's hard to put on a party the pleases both kids, their parents, assorted friends and old fart neighbors but they did it. I didn't miss riding this day.

Pics taken with iPhone.
    tjzondrz, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 7: Earlier this month, the redhead and I went to the Battle For The Airfields WWII Reenactment. Coincident was the "soft opening" of the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM), which was the primary reason for the ride. Below is another of the many tanks on exhibit. As with others, I had no clue as to what I was looking at other than it was a U.S. tank.

[​IMG]

After some research, I came to the conclusion that this was an M5 Stuart, a descendant of the M3 Stuart, named after the Confederate general J.E.B Stuart. Where the M3 used a radial engine, like the one below, the M5 had twin Cadillac V8s.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, tjzondrz, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 8: Earlier this month, the redhead and I went to the Battle For The Airfields WWII Reenactment. Coincident was the "soft opening" of the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM), which was the primary reason for the ride. Below is yet another of the many tanks on exhibit. It was obvious this one was a Russian tank.

[​IMG]

Later research showed this was a T34, which was one of the USSR's most successful tank designs. Some 84,000 of these units were built starting around 1940, making it the second most produced tank of all time (after its successor, the T-54/55 series)

[​IMG]

More to follow.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    In posting pictures of the Russian T34, I mentioned that it was the second most produced tank of all time with the first being the T45/T55 series. I am reasonably certain that the tank below is a T55, whose production numbers likely approach 100,000.

[​IMG]

During the height of the cold war (i.e., the 1960s), Russia had a good (some say massive) number of these tanks staged just behind the Iron Curtain ready to pour into Western Europe. At the time, it was thought they would possibly attack through the Fulda Gap. Below is a covert picture I took back in the 1960s of one of these staging areas.

[​IMG]

Those were interesting times - quite tense and somewhat dangerous but interesting nonetheless.
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Coming Out Of The Ground: This year's summer and fall riding has been greatly interrupted by the hassle of selling the old homestead, getting rid of stuff, putting things in storage, moving, living out of one bedroom from a lot of boxes and involvement of building a new place. With respect to the build, there's the process of picking out new doors and windows, cabinets, appliances, bathroom and plumbing fixtures, HVAC, fireplace and surround, etc. etc. etc. On top of all that, the economy is such (i.e., booming) that it has been hard getting good subcontractors, who've been crazy busy, when you want them. Add in supplier delays (e.g. as resulting from shortage of help, truckers, etc.), overloaded inspectors etc. and you have major-league slow going. This week, though, the build is starting to come out of the ground.

[​IMG]

The footings got poured over a week ago with the foundation following shortly after. Several days ago, the inspector arrived to check and pass the foundation and drainage. Then, yesterday, they got to work on backfilling and preparing to pour the basement floor. Lumber is supposed to arrive any time now so framing can start.

[​IMG]

Aside from chores and weather, the final nails in any day's riding coffin are the little detail decisions that seem to pop up along the way and keep you around (e.g., Do you want fiber or wire mesh for concrete flooring?) Adding insult to injury, today is free but temps are below freezing and I can't find my cold weather gear. Life is good, though, even when riding isn't.
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I can use your words verbatim for our sell, move and buy. I have to build a new shop and I'm pretty sure it won't get done this year. The bad part about this whole deal as you well know, it sucks not being able to ride as much...but overall it's worth it in the end. My shop construction is still in the "dream" phase.
    popscycle likes this.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I'm continually hearing analysts state, "This is the tightest I've ever seen the job market." It'll be interesting to see how that all plays out.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well John; if you can't get out and train hunt I'll do it for you. Cut my grass today for the last time this year I hope. Finished about 2pm. and weather wasn't too bad so I went to St Thomas looking for the Ontario Southland. On the way into town there were tank cars sitting on the main line so I knew there was a train somewhere in town. At the yard I found this engine idling quietly waiting for the rest of the train to show up.

St T 004.jpg

I went back to the east end of town and found two engines shifting tank cars onto an industrial siding. I asked the trainmen where to next and they said the yard so I went back there.

St T 006.jpg

St T 007.jpg

Heading west to the yard to drop their consist and do some switching.

St T 023.jpg
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    They spent about half an hour shifting cars in the yard and then hooked onto the third engine and a line of cars.

St T 031.jpg

St T 039.jpg

When they were leaving the yard the engineer indicated to me that they were headed back to Ingersoll.

St T 057.jpg

I went on ahead and caught them as they crossed Putnam Rd. and came under the 401 Hwy.

St T 070.jpg