Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today's temperature and the mailbox at the CN Flora St. Yard.

St T 060.jpg

St T 029.jpg
  2. cliffb

cliffb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys for the great train and bike pictures. I was in Lake Wales, FL today and saw this old engine. KIMG0337.JPG KIMG0339.JPG
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahh, a breath of fresh train air for the homebound! We greatly appreciate your rides!! :clap
    B10Dave likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a great, toasty old center-cab switcher. Don't know that I've ever seen pictures of a Whitcomb locomotive. Many kudos and thanks!
    B10Dave likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 9: Below are more pictures of the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM) ride this month. I have not had time to research all of these - perhaps later today. Thoughts and leads welcomed.

[​IMG]

Immediately below is a SdKfz 251 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251) German 3 ton Halftrack ca. 1939.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow.
    KMichael, zookster, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Outhouse Needs Wheels: On most days now, the driveway has little maneuvering room, be it from work trucks, cement trucks, a skid-steer, excavator, piles of equipment, rebar, gravel, whatever. Of late, it seems the portable pissoir wants to reside right in front of Kevin's man-cave, both blocking the entrance and stinking it up. Later in the afternoon, the sun came out, temps got up above 45 and the redhead wanted out. Although too old for potty pushing (I grew up in a time and place when there were still stories on how outhouses should be toppled on Halloween), I nonetheless got it moved enough to get out - a hallmark moment worthy of a pic.

[​IMG]

I am thinking that leaving the door up is an invitation for the porta-potty to come in. It gets around the driveway more than I do, as they move it around to accommodate the various trucks and equipment.
    Shaggie, KMichael, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Bit Of Road: For some of us, it takes a lot of will power to stop and take a picture on a really nice bit of road. The road below was one of those of late - a nearly perfect blend of gravel that's not too loose, not too packed and not too rutted. Adding to the perfection was a good mix of hills not too steep, twisties not too sharp and straightaways not too long.

[​IMG]

The pleasure/(rate x time) ratio was very high. The picture stop was very short.

[​IMG]
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 10: Below is another picture taken during the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM) ride this month. It is a running 1938 BMW R75 with sidecar. I am sure you know that the motor is a 750 cc side valve boxer engine.

[​IMG]

You may recall that the reputation and reliability of the R75 was such that the U.S. Army ordered Harley Davidson to produce a similar shaft-driven motorcycle for American troops. Harley produced the XA, which was a near-duplicate of the R75, except that the boxer looked like that in the R71. Below is a good video of the XA.

It may be safe to say that the motorcycle world would have been more interesting if Harley had persued both boxer and V-twin models.
    KMichael, Deckyon, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 11: Below are two more picture taken during the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM) ride this month. Both are of a later-model, German Messerschmitt WWII fighter, specifically a Bf 109G-10.

[​IMG]

Somewhere I got the impression this one was close to being airworthy, but I really don't know.

[​IMG]

Work, chores and construction are slowing me down on these museum pics but more to follow.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Carriage House Progress: Two major steps have been accomplished of late. In preparation for pouring the basement and garage floor, an opening was cut into the existing foundation for a walk-through (code requirement).

[​IMG]

Once that was done, they poured the floors.

[​IMG]

Lumber was delivered very early this morning (while it was still dark) and framing is underway.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, zookster, N-Id-Jim and 3 others like this.
  11. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Nice big saw there!

Will that be a usable basement?

John
    popscycle likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes. Am torn between finishing it off, giving us three stories of living space, putting in another shop (would be my 4th) or perhaps both. With the two basements connected, we can readily move motorcycles into either basement areas.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I found a different "train" for your perusal today. Saw a small article in a semi local paper last Saturday about a fellow in London Ont. who absolutely loves all things Hallowe'en. Every year he builds a new display in his yard for the enjoyment of the local neighbourhood. This is what he came up with this year. Real smoke coming out of the stack as well.

bj 006.jpg

bj 007.jpg
    MickeyDee, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    AHM Ride, Part 12: Below are two more picture taken during the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum (AHM) ride this month. I have no idea what these tanks are and haven't had time to research them with all the construction work taking place.

[​IMG]

Any, all information is welcomed.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 2 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Redhead's New Home and Other Riding Impediments: Cold weather riding gear is in storage, chores and moving/lconstruction-related tasks have gobbled up precious summer and fall riding time, the redhead now sits in what little space remains in Kevin's man cave and there's every manner of stuff is blocking the door at any given time. The bad news, which is also good news, is that piles of lumber have now joined the portable pissoir as door blockers. The good news is that lumber begets framing. Below is the progress made this week just before the Nor'easter hit.

[​IMG]

Thus far, actual construction time has amounted to just a few days in as many months due to weather, materials, crew availability and permit delays.
    Shaggie, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. We're getting to see the making of a castle or should I say the addition to the castle. Your place is gonna be awesome.
    popscycle likes this.
  17. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like that big back woods facing window, bet there's going to be plenty of deer and turkey pics to follow.

Will it be flat windows, or a big bay window?
    popscycle likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It's a few turrets, a moat and some stonework short of a castle but I tend to think it will be awesome. Although a bit smaller than the old colonial, it'll be more modern with an open floor plan, compact and senior friendly.

According to the neighbors, there will be deer, turkey, fishers and coyote aplenty. As for the window, the drawing below should explain it.

[​IMG]
  19. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    i see a nice sniper spot for those pesky deer
    TheAdmiral and popscycle like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Squirrels are first on the sniper list. The little buggers tear up the yard like miniature versions of feral pigs. I had a really nice sniper seat in the old place (i.e., on the can in the downstairs bathroom); however, the basement looks like the spot in the new house - wife doesn't want shooting from living area or bedrooms.
    Shaggie and jeickerman like this.