Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Stork: Below are two pictures of the famous Fiesler Storch, A WWII German light observation aircraft.

[​IMG]

Taken last month at the Collings Foundation hanger, this was the first time I was able to get uncluttered pictures of the plane up close. This particular Storch is only one of three known to be airworthy in the U.S. and was regularly used in reenactments at the airfield.

[​IMG]

Nearly 3,000 of these were built in various countries between 1937 and 1949 and later (for the MS 500 model). The oft-copied plane was famous for its STOL characteristics (e.g., the ability to take off and land in nearly twice its own length). You may recall that it was this plane that Otto Skorzeny used to rescue Benito Mussolini on a mountain top on orders from Adolph Hitler. After WWII, Storches saw military service with the Spanish and Swedish Air Forces until the late 1950’s while wartime Czechoslovakian and French factories produced the aircraft for the civilian market.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Last Of The Fall Color: Fall foliage colors were nothing to brag about this year, being somewhat stunted and muted.

[​IMG]

That, coupled with work and (seemingly) excessive overcast, rain and cold greatly limited my fall riding, both in terms of scope and duration. Roads were wet and rivers were full to the point of overflowing.

[​IMG]

Nevertheless, it's always good to get out and grab a bit of the last gasp of fall.

[​IMG]

Compensating for the wet, slippery leaves goes without question.
    black 8, Shaggie, zookster and 8 others like this.
  3. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the same weather as here in western NY. In a matter of days it went from hotter than hell to cold. wet and windy and now snow is in the forecast for the weekend.
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Neighborhood Use For Pumpkins: I saw these just up the street from me on Trust land - just the thing for pumpkin season.

[​IMG]

Never having had a trebuchet in my neighborhood before, I immediately wondered how you tune them up for optimum hurl. Turns out, the formulas are well known. These would make great math teaching aids.
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Rain Is A Strain On Watching For Trains: The degree of wet, windy and cold we've been having was appropriately noted by @panzer several posts earlier. Said weather makes tramping through the underbrush looking for a good train pic a bit of a bog slog.

[​IMG]

But, it really sucks when the only route to a favorite, discreet viewing spot requires waders or a boat.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  6. panzer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out (in the truck) for a round of sporting clays in awhile, have not gone to the club in almost 6 weeks because of shit weather, bringing waders might not be a bad idea.
    popscycle and jeickerman like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Progress On Redhead's New Home: Progress is slow but moving on the new carriage house. Taken a few minutes ago, the build looked like this:

[​IMG]

We had to move the bikes into the middle bay as they'll be tearing the roof off the third bay to do a roof tie-in. As a result, the kid's car is sitting out (i.e, it was gracious of her to let us have the remaining garage space).
    jeickerman, msahern5, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That Wonderful Waco: Below are three, relatively uncluttered pictures of a pristine Waco UPF-7 bipe. They were taken on a ride several weeks back.

[​IMG]

The UPF-7 was the tandem training version of the famous Waco biplane. This UPF-7 was built in 1940 in Troy, Ohio and has been beautifully restored.

[​IMG]

The plane is in the Collings Foundation hanger in Stowe, MA.

[​IMG]

IMHO, you can't have too many pictures of this beauty, so I take more every time I see it.
    jeickerman, KMichael, Shaggie and 2 others like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Waco John. Never see one on my side of the border, in a museum or in the wild. Went to Sarnia today for our daughter's birthday and while there I checked for activity in the CN yard. Here is what I managed to see in the short time I had there.

syard 011.jpg

syard 012.jpg

syard 016.jpg

syard 017.jpg
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dave, you really scored some great shots! Trackage, yardage and trainage in a series of pics!! Am envious of your vantage spot.
    msahern5, B10Dave and panzer like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Erata - Battle For The Airfield Pics: Allied with last month's ride to see the new tank museum was the reenactment for of the WWII battle for the Aachen (Germany) airfield. I first got to the American bivouac.

[​IMG]

The GIs were having some trouble getting things started.

[​IMG]

The Wehrmacht encampment was at the north end of the field. They were fixing breakfast and preparing for battle.

[​IMG]

I was told that much of the armor on the field was privately owned and not in the Collings collection.

[​IMG]

There was a lot more going on in the German encampment, so I took more pictures there.

[​IMG]

The zoom lens came in handy getting pictures of this beast at the far end of the airfield.

[​IMG]

Just behind the tank was a pond where kayakers were getting a free view of the proceedings. I left shortly after the opening salvos of the battle. The event was crowded and quite noisy - so much so that you really needed ear plugs.
    Deckyon, jeickerman, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  12. panzer

Oddometer:
    Ja Voll! Der will be no fighting until das breakfest is served, today we have bratwurst mit kartoffel salat. Bier will go to the winner mench.
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Erata - Revisiting The Goose: Last month's ride to see the new tank museum also included a quick walk though the Collings Foundation hanger. With a lot of stuff having been moved to the new museum, the hanger was vastly less crowded, making it easier to get unobstructed pictures of the few aircraft therein. Below are two shots of an old favorite - the Grumman Goose.

[​IMG]

In our continual quest for interesting ride pictures, The Goose is, IMHO, a wonderfully ugly but able amphibious subject. This particular bird has a storied history that can be read HERE.

[​IMG]

Long live the Goose!
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; here is a little treat for you if the link works. Ontario Southland returning auto racks from Woodstock C.P. yard to Cami Automotive in Ingersoll.

popscycle, jeickerman and KMichael like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Friends & Family Update: Some progress on the carriage house, taken yesterday afternoon when rafters were going up for the 10 pitch roof.

[​IMG]

We're hoping to have all the roof sheathing up today before the big snowstorm hits tomorrow. Still missing is roof framing for the connection between the two structures, which is required by code.

Update: As of 10:15 this morning, it looked like this:

[​IMG]

Roof sheathing is now more than 50% completed.
    TheAdmiral and jeickerman like this.