Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you move by me? haha. There is a non-chain grocery store and hardware store near where I moved to. A gas station a few miles away has a Chevron sign but that's as close to a chain of anything around these parts. Maybe I moved to your location. Probably not because I don't often use the word "deli" for a samich shop! :lol3

At least you're getting out on the machine a little and that's what counts. Take care!
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Down By The Old Mill Stream And Other Water: I was just doing a limited amount of nosing around the woods, cold weather with no electrics being what it is. With the onset of winter and ponds starting to ice over, I was wondering about the amount of water still running from all the rainy weather in November. This particular stream happens to feed another that has several smaller mill ponds along its course.

[​IMG]

The stream looked to have a water volume equivalent to what you'd see in the spring after the snow melt. This very unscientific and subjective evaluation is shown below.

[​IMG]

Some locals say all this water portends a colder and more nasty winter than normal. We'll see. So far, weather is is adding to the lack of progress of our carriage house construction. Roofing was supposed to be done several weeks ago and nothing's happened yet. Contractors are, of course, blaming this on the weather. There is a bit of an ice rink in the basement of the new structure (resulting from rain that blew in rather than foundation leaks). Not being too thick, cold weather should evaporate that.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Bad News Is Good News: The bad news is that the redhead blockade has persisted due to the stockpiling of equipment and materials. That, in turn, is the result of progress being made on the bike's new home (i.e., the good news).

[​IMG]

The framing is done, windows are in and several hours after this picture was taken, roofing was completed. External doors have yet to arrive. Plumbing, electrical and fireplace are next; however, given the backlog of contractor work TBD in this area, that will likely extend well into next year. With a little luck, we'll get the bike out for a spin soon.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; you must have the patience of Job. I would be extremely frustrated by now. Hope things start to move faster for you.
    popscycle likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About every time I get impatient or frustrated with the progress (which is almost every day), I remember to be thankful for where we are at (i.e., not out in the cold) and the direction things are going. The four month build is looking more like a year every day, which impresses me that the Empire State Building in NYC was built in less time.
    B10Dave and TheAdmiral like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Out, About and Posing With An Oldie: We got out for a short ride in today's drizzle. Happening by the old Willard House (ca. 1718), the redhead stopped for a pose.

[​IMG]

This was the family home of the Willards, the brothers of which were famous clock-makers in the late 1700s. The Willard homestead is now a museum containing the most complete collection of Willard clocks. We did a trip report on the inside of this place back in Dec. 2015. It was entitled A Historic Gem. Below is a better view of the place.

[​IMG]

The little barn on the right is obviously a much newer addition.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Whiffs Of A Country Boy's Perfumery: There are probably a continuum of smells you never forget - from cinnamon apple pie in the oven to an outhouse on a hot day. For some of us, our really memorable eau do cologne was more like l'odeur de ferme or the smell of the farm. I am the only person in the family who loves the smell of the farm, excluding those with a preponderance of pigs. When in Germany, I easily got to liking the smell of misthaufen (a mixture of manure and hay that's often piled in the front yard of a rural home). That said, there's one place not to far from here where you can get a really good whiff of farm - Tufts School Of Veterinary Medicine. It's just up the road from the Willard House shown in the previous post. The wind was blowing such that I was able to pull up to the school's admin building to enjoy aromas wafting from the farm area back across the way.

[​IMG]

Since farm things that smell don't photograph all that well, I figured a classic old college admin building made for a better pose. The campus is quite expansive with a number of other buildings, some of which are quite modern as pictured below.

[​IMG]

Farm smells trigger a lot of very good memories as well as add a bouquet to your ride.
  8. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    A proper veterinary college the likes of James Herriot would have attended! But what is a Yorkshire mans “misthaufen” called?
    zookster and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Can't say what the good Yorkshire folks would call it. Thinking back to Illinois farms and their "All Creatures Great and Smelly", I don't remember a name for the mixture other than referring to it as manure, laid upon the field with a manure spreader. What they didn't do is let it lay around and ferment up near the house, since midwest barns were not on the first floor of one's domicile.
    panzer likes this.
  10. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:
    misthaufen = manure heap.

Hessen slang for BMW was Bayerische Mist Wagen!
    popscycle and panzer like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

It's snowing, we're well (and hope you and yours are also), the kids are all OK, Kevin's back from LA over the holidays, the new CNC machine just arrived and the GSs are all snuggled up with their Battery Tenders.

Edit Update: Just when I thought it couldn't get much better, minutes ago, my electric jacket liner was located amidst all the storage clutter. That put me in a really good mood and was able to get far enough through the learning curve to produce my very first, machinable CNC file.
  12. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas Pops, thanks for all the entertainment this past year!
    popscycle likes this.
  13. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas indeed!
    popscycle likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was CNC Vectors, Not Sugar Plum Fairies: I woke up around 2:00 AM on Christmas Eve morning with thoughts of converting raster images into vectors for a CNC tool path to follow. Learning to program and use the CNC machine ASAP is necessary for company work to be done. After working all day and into the evening I was able to create a file the machine would supposedly accept. There were all these details to account for (e.g., material, size, z-zero position, modeling resolution, tool (bit) selection, machine vectors, tool paths and passes, tabs, ramping, etc. etc. All of that finally put me to sleep and, this morning, Kevin and I assembled the machine in the basement, as shown below. Setup was easy - mostly a matter of attaching the router and cabling every thing up.

[​IMG]

With a little bit of fussing, we managed to set and maintain x-y-z home zero, clamped in a board, inserted the thumb drive file (you don't need a computer nearby) and, voila, it carved exactly what I had programmed, albeit it simple. We'll run it in the basement here since it can't be in the office or warehouse due to (hospital) health regulations regarding our other products (i.e., no germs, dust or contaminants).

As you can see, CNC machines have gone the way of computers - from big-ass and expensive to desktop and (relatively) inexpensive, although certainly not cheap. It will be used to produce remembrance ornaments for parents who've lost a child. The craftsman who hand made them quit and I had to step into the breech. Doing them by hand would have killed precious riding time. This machine solves that problem - from many hours to a few minutes. It's a win, win, win. Merry Christmas.
  15. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    You are to be commended.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good of you to step up for a worthy cause John. Very interesting looking machine. What materials can it machine other than the wood you did your first job from?
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When your kid has a worthy mission in life, starts a company and then asks you for solutions to problems, how can you refuse? Also, this CNC stuff is a chance to learn something new and interesting, even at my ripe old age, and apply it to make items that have real purpose and meaning (as opposed to being just "things"). As for the CNC machine, it can handle wood, plastic, aluminum and other non-ferrous metals like copper, brass, etc. and carve, laser engrave, 3D digitize and/or 3D print. To say I have only scratched the surface, which is what I actually did on the first try, would be an understatement.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Train Gods Smiled: I caught a Pan Am freight pulling out of the yard today. If you like train stuff, this pic's got a bunch - a yard, a melange of tracks, an old round house, rail cars, switch tower, equipment shed and some power.

[​IMG]

Today's much-needed train fix was a holiday gift. The old brain was reeling from 6 long days of learning materials setup, vector creation/setup/editing, cutting depths, tool selection, feed and speed rates, plunge rates, cutting directionr, ramps, toolpath projections, etc. After a good amount of trial & error, yesterday saw the CNC machine successfully cut/engrave the first usable production piece (designed in Photoshop), it was high time to get out of the basement.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jackpot city on that pic John. It's got everything a train fan could want in one place. Thanks.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The new bridge over the yard entrance is now open, making for a new sight line. Was able to zoom into the back of the yard, as pictured below.

[​IMG]