Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On Icy Pond: While out and about, I noticed the smaller ponds are starting to ice over. Thought this one might make a good picture.,

[​IMG]
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Afternoon Lookout: Below is a favorite place to stop, stretfch the legs and hydrate. I've found that views like this help to put things into perspective. It's like Thoreau said, "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Using that rate of exchange, there's good value here.

[​IMG]
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dash 8 Detail: Below is the last pic I took of the two MEC (Maine Central) B40-8 units, as they had gone under the new yard bridge.

[​IMG]

The old yard bridge, which was close to falling down, has finally been taken down. The days of unobstructed, straight-on shots are a thing of the past with the new bridge's wire fence.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; is it a diamond pattern wire fence? I find sometimes if I get the lens close enough to the opening the wires don't show in the field of vision. Happy train hunting.
    popscycle likes this.
  5. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe Touratech builds a ladder mount for the GS....
    popscycle likes this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it's not a diamond pattern, Dave, that didn't look all that big. Next time there, though, I will try through the fence with the good camera and the iPhone. Below is a pic of the bridge as they were just putting up the fence.

[​IMG]

It's unfortunate they have to install these fences to ward off stupid people who fall off or drop things from the bridge.
    KMichael, zookster and B10Dave like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    LOL, given the number of good vantage points that are fenced off, I once considered getting one of those telescopic aluminum ladders. A better idea would be a telescopic tripod, since the camera could be raised up and viewed/controlled through the iPhone.
    zookster and B10Dave like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mastery But Not Mastered: With temps in the teens and twenties, the redhead isn't getting ridden. With 35 degress being my limit these days, riding time is being used to master the CNC machine and we're now at the point where it will consistently do what I want.

[​IMG]

That said, we've not mastered the machine yet. That will take additional experience learning the best speeds and feeds for different bits and materials. I've yet to use the laser attachment. That will be the next step and you can bet I'll be trying to laser etch a GS onto something as practice.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    R2 Takes Out The Honda: Briefly back from LA and missing New England snow, Rider Two (i.e., Kevin) noted the low temps (i.e., 20), snow and ice and opted for the Honda over the GS as shown below.

[​IMG]

After over 25 years blowing snow with that thing, I was in no hurry to go out so Kevin got to it first. After all these years, the machine still looks good and always starts on the second pull. As for the new structure, the HVAC people installed the furnaces and ducts some weeks back but not much else has happened. This thing's been slower than a herd of snails on valium.
  10. panzer

Oddometer:
    Nothing has been worked on in weeks? What the hell is wrong with these contractors, did they all get deported?
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chapped lips because it's cold, dog ate my blueprints, equipment's broken, can't find my tools, we're too busy right now to work on you - take your pick.
  12. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Sounds like SOP. All kinds of projects down here that are half-done and no one on site do finish them.
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rat Rod or Welding Practice Material: Was out and about for a little bit today and saw this tired old truck out behind a garage. Can't decide if it's rat rod material or something for a welding/brazing noob to practice on. Perhaps neither.

[​IMG]
  14. panzer

Oddometer:
    It appears that it's payload was cut out of the woods.
    popscycle likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Volkspferd: It's not everyday that you see the remnants of a VW beetle with a horse (i.e., das Pferd auf Deutsch) statue as an integrated body ornament.

[​IMG]
  16. panzer

Oddometer:
    Das Pferd seit komisch aus...
    popscycle likes this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Old Mill That Survived: As you know, New England was the epicenter of the industrial revolution and is still littered with old mills and remnants thereof. Most have died with only the skeletal remains of their buildings remaining. One, however, is still alive and thriving. Shown below is Washington Mills, located at coordinates. 42.230935, -71.706425.

[​IMG]

Founded in the mid 1800s, Washington Mills was the first abrasive producer in the U.S. Initially the company imported Turkish Emery Ore – a natural abrasive that was crushed and sized primarily for the polishing of farm tools. By 1929 sales of Turkish Emery had fallen as more consistent man-made materials in the form of electrically fused aluminum oxide became available and Washington Mills modernized the plant to process the new fused materials. In 1986, the company added plants in Niagara Falls, Canada, Niagara Falls, NY and Trafford Park, England. Today, Washington Mills is one of the largest producers of fused minerals in the world. Nearby (i.e., next town over) was another abrasives giant - Norton. Norton was bought out by Saint-Gorbain, which has lately trying to resurrect the Norton name.
  18. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    How about some RR pics?

RIMG9512.jpg

RIMG9513.jpg

RIMG9514.jpg

RIMG9516.jpg
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Learning To Laser: After having mastered the mystery of vectors in an x/y/z world we took to replacing the router bit with a laser to etch photos into wood. After much trial and error, with inconsistent results from consistent inputs, I contacted the vendor and learned there was a bug in trying to raster certain png files. They sent me an updated version, with which I an now working out the best combinations of factors (i.e., pic exposure levels, laser strength, focal length and x/y speed for the various types of wood we'll be using. The first try with the new software, shown below (iPhone photo), didn't turn out too bad - definitely a good starting benchmark for fine tuning.

[​IMG]

Going forward we won't be doing motorcycles, but the GS seemed like a good subject for tuning the process (e.g., masking out unwanted background, tuning the photo, converting to BxW raster, speeds/feeds, etc.). With the polar vortex crapping all over our riding plans, now is a perfect time to learn these skills.