Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lonesome Train Pic: After seeing the pics from @bluestar, I went wandering through the photo library and came across this one. The lack of a conversion-from-raw file suggested it hadn't been posted before. With the cockles of railfan hearts in need of warming from the polar vortex, here it is.

[​IMG]

With P&W having been bought by G&W, I am thinking it may now have new livery, which means a trip to the Worcester engine yard may be in order to find out. I believe this Dash 8 once carried Sante Fe colors.
  2. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahh, nice locomotives & green trees, thanks pops!
    popscycle likes this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Water Under The Bridge: With green and locomotives being in short supply at this time, we're looking forward to what things will look like a month or two from now. To that end, below is a pic taken in April several years back. The idea here is that winter will soon be water under the bridge.

[​IMG]

Part of me wants to photoshop a locomotive onto that bridge but the brain majority says masking out the foreground stuff (i.e., branches, limbs that would be in front of the loc) is too much work. Winter's making me lazy today.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Go Or No: Stopped by the yard today on my 150 mile ride. Hoping for some good pics, the road in to the strategic spots got a little sloppy with a nice mix of ice, slush, mud, snot and potholes. It was one of those "go or no go" moments.

[​IMG]

Although borderline stupid, I went and only got the shoes wet and bike more muddy. It goes without saying that you want to stay straight up and in control riding on crap like this (there was ice under some of that water).
  5. panzer

Oddometer:
    OK, now show us the side car...
    popscycle likes this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    No side car, just side feet. :D
    Shaggie and jeickerman like this.
  7. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    I have no side car photo either, but here is a sideways truck I saw on my 150 mile ride today. He's on a straight stretch of road...............

[​IMG]

And more on topic, a re-purposed train station in York, SC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No ice here, 76 today.

8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not Much To Show For All The Slop: After turning the GS into a rolling mud pie, there wasn't much in the way of train pics to show for it. Below is the best I got - some power parked at the sand towers.

[​IMG]

With everything slipperier than snot, I didn't feel like getting off the bike to get up close. At least the ride was great if the pictures were not.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ha, I guess it takes a good deal of negative skill to roll your wagon on a straight road. Also, greatly appreciate seeing the train station and vet's memorial. As for that "no ice" thing, there was black ice when I started out yesterday morning that kept me on higher traffic roads until things warmed up (into the mid 50s).
    B10Dave and The Opa like this.
  10. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Amazing what a single txt message will cause. Cause you know that is what happened. It's epidemic levels out there because there is no enforcement.
    panzer likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ramshackle Redux With Touch Of AI: I often ride by this old, ramshackle red shed or barn on my way to or from the western part of the state and always think it makes for an interesting picture. Noting that I had previously posted a picture of this structure, I nevertheless got another pic. After converting from RAW, the scene certainly didn't look February-ish and the barn didn't look as weathered as it did up close so I applied and fiddled with a filter - an "AI Remix" filter with a touch of van Gogh.

[​IMG]

Other than the added frost effect, additional weathering of the wood and exaggerated sunlight, the picture accurately depicts the scene with just a hint of Vincent.
  12. panzer

Oddometer:
    Nice, and actually appropriate for the season, maple syrup in the sugar shack!
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Hard Road Ahead: Back in my youth, the words "hard road" meant a road that was paved rather than gravel or dirt. Gramps would say "We're taking the hard road to see your aunt", which meant the back seat of his old Plymouth coupe would not take on the characteristics of a buckboard wagon. Now, the words mean anything that isn't slimy, squishy, spongy or just soft. The nice thing about a spell of really cold weather following temps in the 50s is that the good roads become "hard roads" again with the ground frozen and the bone-jarring potholes filled with ice. Such is the stuff of roads that beckon you like the Lorelei siren(s) supposedly lured Rhine River boatmen.

[​IMG]

Instead of going down the river to the Lorelei Rock (been there, done that), it's along the river to an old mill. Mills are more interesting.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Beautiful Thing: The beautiful thing about covered bridges, aside from the natural beauty of weathered wood, is . . . . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . their surfaces are never slippery on black ice mornings or rainy days! If the planks rattle as your crossing, more's the better.
  15. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

. . . . looks like Gilbertville, glad you could get out there. we got more snow comin in Franklin County.
    Ride safe,
    Sully
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes it was, Sully, and, speaking of Gilbertville, I trust you know how scrumptious the danish and sticky buns are down the street at Rose 32.

[​IMG]

I will ride all the way out there in the dead of winter just for a raspberry danish - pure heaven.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About That Dynamited Trestle: Some years back, I posted about a mysterious structure that turned out to be a railroad trestle that resisted being demolished by the town. According to the local historian, the town's effort to dynamite it into oblivion didn't work and so they gave up. Well, February is the time to get the best picture of the overbuilt structure and so I did once again.

[​IMG]

If the town can't get rid of trestle, perhaps they could try to make something userful. With a bit of lumber, it would make for an interesting walkway.

[​IMG]

As before, I think it makes for an interesting picture.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Winter Scene: Below is a scenic pond that I often pass by. As you can see, the picture was taken from the beaver dam following one of those February freeze and thaw cycles.

[​IMG]

When I can no longer ride, these pics will rekindle memories of winter riding and make me happy to be inside and warm.
  19. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    great line pops... :thumb
    popscycle likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Steam Fix: Below is a previously-unposted pic/view of a well-kept, 1911 B&M ALCO/Manchester steam locomotive encountered on one of our rides. I pulled it out of the library to share with someone and decided to also post it here, which gave us a temporary steam engine fix.

[​IMG]

Now on static display in Lowell, MA; it last ran in 1952 at a granite quarry in Westford, MA. It can be seen at coordinates 42.645373, -71.312970.