Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I greatly appreciate the good thoughts, which haven't been in abundance around here in the last few days. Doc says the headaches should subside and were probably caused when the brain "sloshed around" a little bit from the impact. I am thinking that some serious corner carving in either (or both) the GS and/or MX is what the brain needs. Let this be a lesson to all the young whippersnappers - If you're going to have stuff built in your senior years, also invest in things that make your brain happy and active (e.g. cars and motorcycles) so it will be easier to get through the headaches that contractors will give you, assuming they don't kill you in the process.
    B10Dave, bluestar and black 8 like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old And Sagging In The Middle: Not me, the bridge (or perhaps me a little). Now I am wondering if the builders of this old bridge did this on purpose, has the intense current of the canal scoured out the middle pier or is there some other reason for the sag.

[​IMG]

I also wonder how many other people have some initial degree of hesitation about walking across this old thing. You can ride your steed up to within a 100 yards or so of this bridge but not onto it without incurring the wrath of some hiker and/or the local constabulary. That said, I've been sorely tempted for a pose in the middle, noting the panniers would have to come off to squeeze through the fence.
    B10Dave, KMichael, TheAdmiral and 3 others like this.
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:

I have an iClever booster pack. This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M8HXYF/

I absolutely LOVE the thing. I've jumped my pickup several times with it, and it still showed 3/4 charge. It charges my iPhone faster than any wall wart I have, and it has a power accessory port that just happens to be identical to Tourmaster and Gerbing heated gear power leads. So I can run my heated vest on this. Lasts about 2.5 hours on maximum, four or more on minimum. (With the right layering, you won't need max heat if you're just sitting around at a ball game in the cold).

For base-camp camping, it turns a heated vest into a heated blanket. I put the vest at the foot of the sleeping bag on low, and run it all night. I'm nice and toasty when I fall asleep, and I'll put it on a charge in the morning at the clubhouse while I'm riding all day.

Charles.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw that in January of this year. It is a very impressive machine. I just wish the cab was open to the public. Got a 611 hat and sweatshirt for my trouble too. The NC transportation museum is really worth the trip as well. It's larger than the VA one, and when we went we timed it with a classic car show that was held on the grounds. Spent the entire day there and still didn't see it all.

Charles.
    B10Dave, The Virginian and popscycle like this.
  5. dfinn

dfinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not too often that you're reading something online and see pictures of your hometown. Not often at all when your home town is a tiny little town in the boonies of western mass. I grew up just up the street from the Scott's place that you pictured above, my brother was friends with their son and used to hang out at that house quite a bit. They make some really delicious maple syrup.

I'm pretty sure I know the people fishing from the raft in the 2nd pic. The fishing is pretty good in that spot indeed.
  6. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    World gets smaller every day!
    popscycle likes this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Miscellaneous Motive Power Musings: Right around this time every year, I'd be out on the bike chasing trains. With non-paved roads being generally be too muddy, snotty or icy this time of year; taking to the "hard road" looking for locomotives was/is a preferred spring pastime. This year, however, dark forces have once again conspired to rain on my riding parade. In years past, kidney stones were a hindrance. Now, after many trips to the ER/OR, it was finally determined that the stone problem was hereditary, not dietary, and solvable. The solution was small daily doses of hydrochlorothiazide to stop the production of excess calcium in the blood. This Tuesday's visit to the doc confirmed there's been no strone growth for over a year now. Shortly after getting home from urologist, plumbers did a number on my head when they exploded the end of a gas pipe and it was another trip to the ER. On Wednesday, a follow-up trip to the doc resulted in admonitions to take it easy for several days (i.e. don't take any chances of bumping your brain by riding for a bit). Well, today I now feel fine but mother nature plus builder/designer/sub contractor meetings have all conspired to keep me off the bike and away from trains. For that reason, I dug through the files to find previous pics taken around this time of the year that had never been posted (that I can remember).

[​IMG]

I'd planned to post a few more but plumbers have showed up (i.e., not the ones who exploded the pipe - I kicked them out ) to finish hooking up the shit pump that handles sewage from the carriage house. Also, the insulation folks just pulled into the drive. It will be a busy day not riding, noting Fridays are the best days for catching CSX power at the Palmer diamond.
  8. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man oh man, I hope you catch a break soon.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I just went down to the basement to check on the plumbers, who are making the run from the pump to the main house sewer line. That little trip reminded me once again that "shit happens." The good new is we've no stones, a place to stay, food in the fridge, a moto with gas that's paid for and an upcoming spring and summer with promise (e.g., NC Transportation Museum, knowing Big Boy's back under steam, a return to the Rochelle IL diamond, seeing old friends and meeting new ones, etc.)
    zookster, panzer and dano619 like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; you will love the NC Trans. museum. Make sure you have at least 6 hours to see it. Also the next town south of Spencer is Salisbury where there is a beautiful restored brick station that is the AmTrac stop and right on the main CSX line. I found it was really nice to be the first customer of the day and wandered at my own speed. 611 alone is worth the trip but there is so much more there. If you are taking a few days or a week for this trip I also highly recommend the Georgia RR Museum in Savannah. This year on the way home from Fla. I plan to stop in Roanoke at the Va. Transportation Museum.
    popscycle likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely correct in thinking I should visit these. I was hoping to get away south last spring when all hell broke loose (i.e., stones, laser up the willey, business changes, selling the house, moving, etc.). Although dubious about leaving before the carriage house is done, I am loathe to waste another spring. Roanoke, Spencer, Rochelle, Scranton, Union and Strasburg all occupy prominent positions in my Garmin Basecamp's collection of routes. Speaking of Strasburg (PA), I trust you know that 611 will visit Strasburg on 4 weekends in Sept and Oct. Since I can easily get down there in a day, we may have to make two trips south this year. Now, if they'd just bring Big Boy to Scranton, which is another easy ride or drive. That engine's younger brother is there but in need of some serious cosmetics, if not restoration.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, panzer, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Is The Road Evil? Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of this road below?

[​IMG]

Experienced old farts know. They learned in their early teens, if not earlier. The evil lurking down that road started with a really good, soaking rainfall, turning the road and its sand, muddy rocks and potholes to snot. Then, temperatures suddenly went north into a hard freeze, making everything slippery. Next, snow falls overnight on top of the ice to disguise it. Finally, temps warm up to just a tad above freezing, giving the snow a crunchy demeanor and a false sense of stability; however, just below that crunch is slippery evil. This is not the place for bikes with no knobbies, if not spikes. We tested our analysis of road conditions riding shanks mares (a.k.a. shanks ponies).
    KMichael, zookster and jeickerman like this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks John. I did not know 611 was coming to Strasburg. I will have to look into this. I very much would like to see 611 in action instead of just static as it was in NC when I was there.
    popscycle likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Also, I trust you know the RR Museum of PA (just across the road from Strasburg RR) is great, especially if you've not seen it before. You can get up close and personal with some serious PA RR iron in a comfortable indoor setting.

[​IMG]

The last time I was there (Oct 2016), there were still in the planning stages of adding a roundhouse to the turntable and existing buildings (i.e., the main museum and restoration shop). Given that the museum just recently got rid of its Nickel Plate Berk, I am thinking they don't have the funds for any additional buildings at this time. Word on the wire is that they're planning to break ground on the roundhouse next year; however, we've head that for several years now.
    B10Dave, KMichael, The Opa and 2 others like this.
  15. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Pops, a guy I've met locally is a volunteer at Scranton's Steam Town.
    He was telling me that they hired someone a while back to repaint the Big Boy.
    The guy turned out to be a scammer. He gave it a quick and sloppy paint job
    using the wrong paint, then took the money and ran. The cheap paint job
    is peeling off in sheets. Sad.
    I also read that when the Union Pacific was planning to restore a Big Boy,
    they checked out all eight still in existence. They determined that the one in
    Pomona Ca. and the one at Steam Town were the two in the best condition.
    They decided on the one in Pomona because it had been stored in a dry climate.
    Only a few weeks more and Big Boy 4014 is gonna run again!!!
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! If Steamtown brass had any brains (i.e., something that is often in short supply within government bureaucracies) they would have gotten UP to help clean it up for some good press at the museum. 4012 should be a major exhibit, not some rust bucket in the parking lot. As for Big Boy - Hurrah and major kudos to UP!
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not Your Bike On The Bridge: Being among the many ADV inmates who like to look at bridges, here's a pic not previously posted. Seeing the trusses on these bridges reminds me of an undergraduate math class I took on stress force vectors. I never used and quickly forgot what I learned in that class (i.e., Vector Analytics/Calculus) but it did give me an appreciation for bridge design.

[​IMG]

Built in 1938 and rehabilitated in 2013, it is a cantilever deck truss with a single Warren truss span at one end. The position from which I took the picture (i.e., next to a pier) did not make for a good bike pose. Lurking in the background behind the bridge is what looks like an old powerhouse.
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Sure Sign Of Spring? Around here, Punxsutawney Phil and his brethren got no juice. A better indicator might be the free range chickens that showed up out back this weekend for the first time since last fall.

[​IMG]

Rumor has it their arrival portends the coming of spring. We're happy to see them. They seem happy to see us (i.e., they come running up when I am out) and we hope they get a head start on the bugs and ticks that come up from the woods and wetlands out back. Lyme disease is an issue in these protected lands.
  19. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="popscycle]

Yesterday I accompanied the plumbers into the basement of the old house, going with them into the work area for reasons I won't get into here. There were planning to pressure test the gas line going into the new place. As they started to hook up the air compressor to the gauge apparatus on the end of the pipe, I started to pick up a piece I was working on and get it out of the way. Noticing a corner that needed sanding, I started to sand it when BOOM, the pipe end exploded sending some shrapnel into my face, just (fortunately) missing the eye. They obviously didn't (1) properly hook it up and/or properly use the test apparatus and (2) warn me they were pressurizing it for the test. Aside from a gash, a scar-to-be and some residual headaches, I am basically OK. Motorcycles aren't nearly as dangerous as inexperienced plumbers so stay close to one but not the other. To say I was pissed would be the understatement of the year but blood loss compensated for any resulting blood pressure rise from anger.[/QUOTE]

Jeez John

That sucks

Get healed up soon

S
    popscycle likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    From The Vault Of Ride Pictures Not Previously Posted: As a rule, any subject worth getting off the bike and taking a picture of should be worth taking multiple shots to make sure at least one is good. Given the replacement of Pan Am's blue GPs by Dash 8 units with less-than-stellar livery; I thought RR fans might appreciate one with a look at the dearly departed - a view from the weeds of a gaggle of GPs never to be seen again.

[​IMG]

With cold weather, a bike that's trapped in the garage and other factors, the picture vault's a good place to get a train fix in the morning.
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.