Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still Snow In The Hills: There still some snow pack in the hills, woods and on the ski slopes. Ski operators will probably keep making snow as long as temps dip below freezing at night.

[​IMG]

Pic above was taken shortly after noon today.
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  2. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly!!
    The Big Boy was the biggest steam locomotive ever built and the height of steam technology.
    It should be in the center area of the round house, not an afterthought sitting out there
    looking completely neglected.
    And for those readers who are not familiar with it....
    The Big Boy is 132 feet long and weighs ONE MILLION, TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY
    THOUSAND POUNDS!! It is said that on level ground, it could pull a train
    four miles long!
    I've read that pulling a heavy load, it would consume 25 TONS of coal and 25,000
    gallons of water every FIFTY MILES!
    Think of how long it takes for you to boil a pot of water on the stove.
    That monster could convert 500 gallons of water to high pressure
    steam every mile it traveled!
    At 60 miles per hour, that's 500 gallons of water boiled every minute!!!
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Still No Idea: I went by this thing again the other day while wandering around off the beaten Mohawk Trail path. Now several years later than the first time I saw the thing, I've still no idea what it was.

[​IMG]

Admittedly, the structure has been given only minimal research on my part. My first thought was that it could be part of a head race for some mill but the river would have to be at epic flood stage for that to work and there's no indication of any upstream dam, canal or other water feed structure. Also, the structure is pretty massive for simple race gate. It is tough finding people interested in local history and even tougher finding someone who knows it. Thus, the mystery persists. Maybe this will be the year we learn something.
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  4. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Homeland security river watch station?
    popscycle likes this.
  5. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Gotta be some sort of pillbox.
    popscycle likes this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We should all take comfort in the fact that, to the best of our knowledge, no confederates, axis soldiers, foreign terrorists or other unsavory parties have made it past this structure. That bit of silliness said, this river, shown below, is reputed to be very good for trout fishing, provided you know the best spots.

[​IMG]
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another View Of Bridge: Below is another view of the (Turner Falls - Gill) bridge, taken from the east side that shows how the CT River is dammed up just before going under the bridge.

[​IMG]
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not A Foamer: I am not a 'foamer' (i.e., foamer being a term RR employees use to describe enthusiasts who hang around RR tracks and stations to watch and/or photograph trains). First of all, I don't hang around waiting. Given the "ride vs. hang around" decision, ride generally wins. You plot your points, plan your approach and then go in for the shot - in and out fast so as to get back riding again, not look like some weird lurker and avoid inquiries into what you're doing there. Such is the case when passing by the yard and nothing's moving. I get as close as I can but let my lens, rather than me, look around the yard. Such was the case several days ago.

[​IMG]

Second, I don't foam at the mouth, get excited, have tingly body parts or exhibit signs of such when around trains, other than, perhaps a smile. Trains themselves are a happy thing, especially to those of us who don't have to work on them day in and day out, and riding around on a motorcycle to chase/find them is fun. Even better is when there are folks who share their like/love of trains and enjoy the pictures you take. This post's for them, complete with pictures of ratty old tie cranes (as a contrast to newer Plasser track maintenance equipment).

[​IMG]

Aside from the fact that most foamers don't ride motorcycles (an assumption gained from talking to a good number of them), chasing trains when there's a high probability none will be found likely disqualifies me. Foamers don't behave that way. Such was the case several day ago when the need to get out of the house had me following the CSX track(s) west for naught. When I stopped to get some picks of tagged boxcars, a nice lady happened by and asked if I'd picked up indicators of pending traffic on my radio. I told her no and took the pic shown below.

[​IMG]

I don't have a radio, which is proof positive I'm not a foamer. That said, I do know I'd score more power if I had one.
    KMichael, zookster, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Reason Number 249: There are reasons why I am not riding as much as in previously years at this time and it has to do with time and building contractors. Below is reason number 249. It's a good and bad news thing.

[​IMG]

The good news is that work is starting to pick up on the Redhead's new home. The (minor) downside is that there are an ever increasing number of contractor trucks and other things (e.g., a long-suffering cupola that was supposed to go up months ago) blocking egress from R2's man-cave. For example, after the truck above left, another deposited several pallets of concrete blocks, fascia stone and cement in front of the motorcycle bay door. By the time that got moved, I had too many other things on my plate to go riding. This morning I'm to stay home because contractors are coming who need to get in to work. Of these, one has already bailed (i.e., the plumbers) because "things are in their way". This afternoon, I have errands and an appointment to take the Miata in for some scheduled maintenance. Thus, today is looking like #250.
    zookster, B10Dave and jeickerman like this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:

Haha, I her ya! "Thus, today is looking like #250."
    popscycle likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just An Old Bridge: I like old bridges, especially with wooden planks that talk to you when you ride over them.

[​IMG]

Taken recently, this is one of those that I'll probably get nostalgic about in old age, thinking back about being on this very spot about to ride across.
    TT72, KMichael, Deckyon and 7 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Healthiest Ride vs. The Ideal Ride: When asked, "What is your ideal ride?", I might be tempted to say something like "Crossing the Tirol" or " Riding down to Garmish Partenkirchen for some schnitzel at Cafe Mukkefuck" (a real place, BTW) or "Taking the Gotthard Pass from Andermatt to Airolo and down, avoiding the base tunnel". I always liked those parts of Europe; however, pleasant thoughts of such scenic rides are quickly offset by realities of the cost, stress and logistics of getting there. Locally, I've always liked riding in the woods - a constant since first learning to ride a bicycle. There was always something quite special and pleasant about being in and riding through a forest. As a young child, I would take my bicycle miles out of town just to ride through unpaved roads in an area forest preserve. Still doing it today on a motorcycle, I couldn't explain the sanity of it to anyone - until recently. Now I better understand why a forest is so appealing

Walking or riding in the woods can have a significant impact on your health and well being. Specifically, studies show that exposure to forests and trees:
    • lowers your blood pressures
    • boosts the immune system
    • accelerates recovery from illness or surgery
    • reduces stress
    • improves your mood
    • increases ability to focus, even in children with ADHD
    • increases energy
    • improves sleep.

[​IMG]

I don't have to go far and can stay as long as I want. It's both the healthiest and ideal ride. I wonder if the oxygen given off by trees increases your blood oxygen.
    B10Dave, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    How To Tart Up A RR Station and Lose Business In The Process: There was a lovely, classic, old railroad station in Erving, MA that was recently converted into a tarted-up attempt to be some small-town Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Just riding by the place hurts my eyes and offends my RR sensibilities; however, but I did stop and take a picture the other day. This building is now to old RR stations as hookers are to the citizenry.

[​IMG]

It's a safe bet that the redhead won't be posing with this hussy anytime soon. Below is what the place used to look like back in it's station/restaurant days when cars actually stopped there. So far, I've yet to see a car parked at the building.

[​IMG]

Back then, the food was crap but the building at least looked like a RR station. I'm sorry but train stations should not be painted 'hot pink'.
    B10Dave, KMichael, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Poor Little Lamb or This Story Has Legs: I was riding out in the western part of the state yesterday, stopped for some refreshment and was chatting with someone whose family farm raises sheep. While chatting about this time of year being lambing season, she said they'd had a 6-legged lamb born and shared an iPhone photo, shown below.

[​IMG]

You can readily see 5 of the six legs in the photo above. Animal lovers among you will be happy to know the little lamb will not end up as a side-show freak, lamb chops or something else unpleasant. Instead, it will be taken to one of the country's best veterinary schools and fixed. The poor little thing needs some serious fixing as it's a boy with a girl's ass end and two extra legs that are on backwards. If all goes well, the lamb will end up as a near-normal family pet and some vet students will get one hell of an experience in animal surgery.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding: Old mills along the CT River in Montague.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, KMichael, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  16. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm, does pops have a kayak?
    popscycle likes this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding: In a time past, there were two choices, kayaking or riding. Choice 1- Kayaking
    1. Watch for notice when sluice gates will be opened to create sufficient water for kayaking
    2. On said date, round up gear, accessories and provisions
    3. Arrange for downriver pickup
    4. Load cage with said stuff
    5. Put kayak on cage and tie down
    6. Drive to put-in point
    7. Lug kayak and stuff down cliffs to river.
    8. Float down river, occasionally steering with paddle
    9. Stop and chat with other kayakers, fish, snack or do whatever floats your boat
    10. Reach get out point and cart kayak gear and self up to pick-up vehicle
    11. Drive back to put-in point
    12. Unload kayak, paddles, accessories, stuff and garbage and reload onto cage
    13. Drive home
    14. Unload kayak, paddles and things.
    15. Put stuff away.
    Choice 2 - Riding
    1. Roll motorcycle out of garage
    2. Preflight motorcycle
    3. Ride out
    4. See interesting things, explore, meet interesting people, take pictures and have fun.
    5. Ride home, enjoying scenery.
    6. Roll into garage.
    7. Go inside and look at pictures of people kayaking that was taken from a RR bridge while chasing trains.
    [​IMG]

Having had two fishing canoes for decades (a one-person and a two-person, both with outboard flotation for stability and trolling motors for getting back upstream), I tired of lugging canoes around on a crappy old fishing car with the ratio of prep time to fun time not being as good as with riding. Kayaking looks to be somewhat akin to canoeing but with more work. Kayaking and riding are certainly not mutually exclusive but doing one will bite into the other timewise.
    panzer, KMichael, zookster and 2 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Full Boil: This is the time of year when they 're finishing up the tree sap used in making maple syrup and related products. Riding by this rather busy sugarhouse warranted stopping for the pic.

[​IMG]

The stuff's too expensive for my waffles. I saw a jug of the maple stuff in a local store with a $76 price tag on it. Hello, Mrs. Butterworth.
  19. ADVSaint

ADVSaint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, they had excellent lemonade, made a great BLT on toasted Rye, & the owner was a fellow rider (vintage Sportster). Like you, we were saddened to see the change - both in use and in color!

Just discovered and truly enjoying your RR, btw.
    popscycle likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About That RR Station: I only ate there once (burger wasn't very good) but the place was a gem. Here's how it looked back in Aug. 2014.

[​IMG]

Also, we're glad you're enjoying the RR and thanks for letting us know!
    jeickerman, KMichael, B10Dave and 2 others like this.