Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    You would rather eat corn syrup? I would not even run ethanol in my bikes, it might cause premature final drive failure ; )
    popscycle likes this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha, the last bit of maple syrup I poured over pancakes ran like water and turned them into mush. If I really wanted maple syrup, I'd buy a small bottle of maple flavoring and put some into Mrs. Butterworth, thus doing my small part in taking corn away from fouling up otherwise perfectly good motorcycle fuel. It's bad enough we have to exercise our final drives plying the byways of NE and endure all those "Maple Syrup and Vermont Cheese Sold Here" signs that remind us of mushy pancakes, wet waffles and funky cheese.
  3. panzer

Oddometer:
    You should do a taste test on your construction crew. That'll learn them.
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Rather Toasty Final Drive: I happened across this study in rust while poking around in folders looking for some RR stuff. Taken last spring and not previously posted (that I could find), the picture shows what happens when you don't take care of your wheels.

[​IMG]

Nelson Blount must be turning over in his grave if this was one of his.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding - A Bridge Too Far: Earlier this week, I was standing on the parapet of one bridge looking at another off in the distance, remembering how the distant RR bridge reminded me that I had occasional vertigo.

[​IMG]

R2 and I had been riding the gravel along side a RR track when it went out onto the bridge you see in the distance. I was about a third of the way out when vertigo hit me like lightning and I had to stop, get off and sit down before I fell down. Falling down would not have been good as there was nothing to stop you from falling off the bridge. I did manage to clear my head and R2 helped me get the bike back. Below is a pic I took on that day after R2 got me and the bike off the bridge.

[​IMG]

I have had these occasional bouts before but this one taught me to stay off bridges without parapets in general and RR bridges in particular. The odd thing is that I've never gotten vertigo sitting out in a (totally) open-air ultralight, even when one started to come apart at altitude (nothing serious, it was just one of the wheels coming off : - ).
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; here are some wheels that are not as scaly as the ones you showed a couple of pictures ago. They are a teaser for you from the Virginia Transportation Museum.

Flor19 843.jpg

Flor19 842.jpg
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back home yesterday from a month in Florida. I stayed at Lake Waldena Resort about 10 miles east of Ocala where I stayed in the mini toy hauler I built to get my bike south and give me a place to lay my head that is not a tent. I am getting too old to put the bike in the bed of the truck and pull our small travel trailer so I built a ramp gate trailer with a fridge, sink, microwave and two burner stove to make hauling the bike easier. First pic is of my campsite showing my bike, trailer and pickup truck. Next three are some locomotives I found in Fla.

Flor19 242.jpg

Flor19 497.jpg

Flor19 519.jpg

Flor19 012.jpg
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Trains, toy hauler, bike, bed not in a tent with great photos. - what's not to like. We greatly appreciate your pics as trains are in short supply down here at the moment with all the building crap going on. Many thanks!! :beer
    black 8 and B10Dave like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Anatomy Of A Non-Vertigo-Inducing Railroad Bridge: Several posts back we alluded to getting vertigo on a RR bridge without parapets. You can, and probably should, make the argument that one should not ride across these in the first place since they're railroad property; however, there are times when the shortest distance from point A to point B is across a bridge. Also bridges can provide a unique platform for taking pictures (i.e. the view from over the water). It is for these reasons that I favor the earlier, industrial age, truss bridge of the 1800s, such as the one pictured below.

[​IMG]

It is the presence of topside trusses like those of this VT bridge that inhibit whatever triggers the vertigo, making such bridges a piece of cake for walking or riding across to whatever end. The rails tell you if the line is being used to any extent. In past years, I've gone out of my way to find and photograph these structures and may resume if and when the new domicile is completed.
    Shaggie, jeickerman, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  10. panzer

Oddometer:
    Nice shot Pop's, it's nice to see a riveted bridge that is still in use, has no tag "art", has the manufacturers tag in place, and a really cool build date of 1897 stamped out of the top beam, I have never seen that one before!
    popscycle likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chased Trains, Caught Two: One of the two was this NECR GP.

[​IMG]

It was pulling what looked to be a consist of empty cars north across the diamond (and CFX mainline into Worcester)

[​IMG]

The NECR side of the old station can be a rather pleasant place to hang out when they're doing a lot of switching between their yard and the CSX line. Today, I was the only person there.

[​IMG]
    MickeyDee, Shaggie, zookster and 4 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; here are the first 4 pics from the Virginia Transportation Museum. First one is a home built steam engine built from the constructors own plan. Second pic explains the engine. Third is an early velocipede track inspection device and the last pic are a live steam model of N&W 1218 and a consist of cars from the Schuler Collection. The real 1218 is outside and we will get to it later The wheel pictures in a previous post are from 1218. There will be more to come from my museum visit.

Flor19 761.jpg

Flor19 762.jpg
    The description says the engine was powered by gasoline but in reality the burner under the boiler was gas fired. It was not powered by a gasoline engine.

Flor19 775.jpg

Flor19 776.jpg
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Once Again, That Tasty Bridge: Every once in a while, you like to go out for something really tasty - classic diner meatloaf, Filet Mignon au Poivre, chili dog with onion strings or cola-braised shortribs. Each is an experience that pleases your senses and leaves you sated and happy for at least a while. An analogy would be going out for a good bridge, the kind whose ride-across pleases your senses. Such is, once again, the bridge below (pic taken this past week).

[​IMG]

Like a good meal, you don't want to rush this one. Rather, savor the experience by slowly riding across, feel the wind blowing down the gorge and hear the water rushing below. Hear and feel the clatter and clanking of the boards as you ride across them - the slower the better. If there's no traffic, stop in the middle and soak in the view. It can put a big smile on your face. Then, ride home for a good meal, look forward to the next time across and eventually make a forum post with only a small dollop of tongue-in-cheek analogy.

PS: In truth, I will take this back roads bridge any time I am within 30 -50 miles of it.
    MickeyDee, KMichael, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the post. Makes me long for the American Flyer train set that I sold to buy my first scoot.
    B10Dave likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding Today: Little furry rodent.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, TheAdmiral, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few more from Virginia for you John. The construction of the pavilion and the fact that the museum crowds other stuff in between trains, makes it very difficult to get any real good pictures. Here are three of the largest engines built by Norfolk & Western in the Roanoke shops. 1218, a 2-6-6-4, 4 cylinder simple articulated dual purpose freight and passenger engine built in 1943 and sole survivor of the Class A locomotives; 611, a 4-8-4 fast passenger engine built in 1950 and sole survivor of the Class J locomotives and 2156, a 2-8-8-4, 4 cylinder compound articulated heavy freight engine built in 1942 and is the sole survivor of the Y6A class of locomotives.It actually had more pulling power (tractive effort) than the Union Pacific "Big Boy", 152,206 lbs. force compared to 135,375 lbs force.

Flor19 780.jpg

Flor19 784.jpg

Flor19 782.jpg

Flor19 783.jpg
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Second Of Two Trains Caught: A CSX freight out of Worcester.

[​IMG]
    MickeyDee, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dirty Diesels: Crossing the Palmer diamond.

[​IMG]
    MickeyDee, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  19. TOS

TOS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Short ride after work Friday afternoon, on the TX side of the Red River...
    20190405_163447~2.jpg 20190405_163117~2.jpg 20190405_163209~2.jpg Old KATY Depot Denison, TX

20190405_164736~2.jpg
    MickeyDee, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    TOS likes this.