Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few more from Virginia Trans. Museum for you John.

Flor19 793.jpg

Flor19 798.jpg

Flor19 797.jpg

Flor19 801.jpg
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Milling Around Some: Picture taken this past weekend of old mill complex that was the once the very essence of the industrial revolution. A creative apprentice blacksmith marries a young woman who's the boss's daughter, goes into business with his father-in-law and forms a company that eventually becomes one of the world's largest.

[​IMG]

The red structure on the bottom left of the picture dates back to 1772 with other buildings dating back to early 1800s and later. The whole mill complex was and still is much larger than is shown in the picture.
    Shaggie, klaviator, MickeyDee and 5 others like this.
  3. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    What business did they build?????

John
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Whiten Textile and Machine Works, which was an industrial giant with mills and factories in Uxbridge, Linwood, Riverdale, Rockdale and Northbridge, MA. The company peaked in the late 1940s and slowly died thereafter for a whole host of reasons, some of which would inflame the passions of the CSM crazies.
    Shaggie likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Beer Was Involved: There is a story here, beer is involved and we'll get to the bottom of something.

[​IMG]

More to follow when I get all the facts. We do know there's beer in the barn.
    Shaggie, black 8, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Below is a picture of the Riverdale Mill, which was renovated and converted into a highly successful wire mill by an innovative lobsterman and gearhead named James Knott.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, klaviator, MickeyDee and 7 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Snail's Pace Quickens To A Crawl: Work on the carriage house is picking up, albeit slowly. The picture below was taken almost two weeks ago and the drywall folks should finish putting up blueboard on the 2nd floor today. The first floor and garage is next with one wall in the basement last. Siding has taken over a month and, as of this date, still isn't finished but should be completed this week or next. The cupola, which was supposed to go up last year (note the footholds on the roof), is still taking up space in the man cave and irritating the redhead and others. My patience is wearing thin - either this contractor can't estimate/schedule for shit or thinks blowing smoke up your ass is an acceptable practice.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the evolution of missed completion dates marched well past the end date of the Miata storage lease. The good news is that the little roadster is now readily available when I need 4 wheels, given Lynn'e propensity to regularly get out and about in the other car. I am remiss in not using the car cover.
    Shaggie, black 8, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  8. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you find this crew, Apex Tech?
    popscycle likes this.
  9. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Just saw this. As someone with twenty years on the throttle...I'll say, there's more to it than just power rating. A doubleheader is protection against mechanical failure - which is quite frequent on many lines were maintenance is cut to the bone. It's not always doable; and when Amtrak, out west, ran a train that split at Ogden with half going to Oakland and half going to San Bernardino...they'd run that last leg with one unit each. And had frequent breakdowns going over Cajon Pass.

But with doubleheaders, they can isolate the unit with mechanical issues, and use the other as sole power. The passengers will never know anything different, unless there's some grades to climb.
    B10Dave, jeickerman and popscycle like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We had used them several years back with outstanding results and they did a good job (at least) of maintaining positive reviews. What we didn't know was that there had been an illness-related change at the top between then and now that seems to have affected their ability to get subs on their terms. We are working on the assumption they'll eventually deliver a quality product. Thus far, the subs have delivered seemingly high, if not timely, quality (framing, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, insulation, roofing, etc.). In our favor is the fact that the town has very fussy inspectors (e.g, an electrical inspector who doesn't want to see crooked runs anywhere or wires anywhere near the upstairs sub floor, lest a nail come thru from above and hit it.) Also favorable is the fact that I can now get the redhead out most days, cupola notwithstanding.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, black 8, zookster and 3 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Bit Of Drama At The Diamond: About a half hour ago, I happened to switch over to the Rochelle IL diamond cam where I saw UP power carrying what looked to be bird chopper blades seemingly stopped/stalled right on the diamond, as shown below. In watching, I saw a number of people wandering about, one of whom was carrying a sidearm, dressed like a SWAT guy and checking all around the railfan pavilion. Something's up or broke there.

[​IMG]

Given normal traffic, this must be putting a wrench in BNSF's gears, not to mention the town's auto traffic.

Update Edit: So far nothing is moving on the other UP track, which is unusual for this period of time. I am wondering why they don't uncouple and free up the diamond.

Update Edit 2: The Rochelle EarthCam just became unavailable, which is also out of the ordinary.
    Shaggie, zookster and KMichael like this.
  12. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    How far back can you see?

If the train was derailed, they won't move it until supervision orders it. Armed authority suggests, either an attempt at deliberate sabotage, or perhaps a suicide - or, if it's a small jurisdiction, a rider falling off and getting killed.

If it's cars off the rail and/or a non-employee fatality, all traffic is going to stop until cleared by LE and supervision. Yeah, it's tying up the BNSF...but that's nothing new. Happens all the time when there's adjacent rights-of-way or joint trackage.
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You can't see any farther back than was shown in the screen shot I posted. Since the site went dark, I've no idea what's going on. The fact that the only person who appeared at the pavilion was armed does suggest something out of the ordinary, like it was off limits for some reason. Normally, there would be folks there watching that time of day, especially with a windmill train stopped at the diamond.
  14. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Probably because there's wreckage, or gore, about. Doesn't even need to be in camera-range; the POSSIBILITY of some such shots will send the dispatchers or signal maintainers to the OFF switch, in terror.

Most Class 1s are hyper-sensitive about anything that could be construed as photo evidence of a compromising situation. Back when I was with CSX, before phone-cameras were commonplace (left 11 years ago) it was a punishable infraction just to take pictures of operations. This was after digital cameras became small and cheap, and when a train came off the rails (more common on CSX than should be) crews were taking photos, to defend themselves and in preparation for lawsuits.

And CSXT, and BNSF both, are heavy-handed with their people. So, even if there was no smashed car or oozing flesh, the person in charge probably yanked the cord preventatively, to prevent a supervisor coming back two days later, demanding why wasn't it done.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    After a short bit of detective work, we learned the problem was a fatality, either accidental or suicidal, near the Railroad Park. From station WRHL:

4/9/2019 6:00:00 PM
    By Jeff Leon
    A woman suffered fatal injuries this afternoon in Rochelle after being struck by a train.

The incident took place a short time before 3:15 as the subject was struck by a Union Pacific Railroad train around 200 yards west of 9th Street near the Ken Wise Rochelle Railroad Park.

There were several people at the park when the incident took place.

Rochelle Police Chief Eric Higby said that the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The body came to a rest near the tracks.

Chief Higby said there appears to be no foul play at this time.

The Ogle County Coroner was called to the scene. The name of the person killed is not being released at this time until family members are notified of the incident.

The woman is not from the local area and an autopsy is scheduled on the body on Wednesday.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Something Else To Get To The Bottom Of: I rode by this the other day and put it on my calendar to explore next month. My intent is to get to the bottom of it all. You see, there's an early 1700s mine beneath this place, as well as where I am standing. We'll go down and report back with details and references. There's quite the story here. You see, when they ran out of ore in the mine, they turned it into a prison.

[​IMG]

The last time R2 and I rode by this place, it had been closed for a good many years but will open for a second season next month. More data to follow.
    Shaggie, zookster, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  17. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. Including the police presence. Weird stuff goes on around train tracks...I could tell you stories. But since women are seldom rail-buffs, and tend not to try to get close the way some overaged boys do...the police want to make sure someone wasn't forcing her onto the tracks.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: An APC I would assume to be an M113 variant.

[​IMG]

It is sitting by the aforementioned Riverdale mill, which would account for the wire if not its placement. As for the APC, the mill has a reputation for being a place where gearheads work and hang out and what gearhead wouldn't want an M113?
    Shaggie, jeickerman, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mill Views With A Bit Of Art: I find that old mills make for interesting pictures of a time when early entrepreneurs could rise from nothing to build world-leading industry. In many cases, the bones of these companies are reused to house new companies and enterprise. Such is the case with the old Whiten mill below.

[​IMG]

Contained on the grounds in one of Whiten's earliest mill buildings are art studios and places to showcase local art. Such is the art piece below.

[​IMG]

Is it just me or did the artist take some inspiration from Kim Kardashian?
  20. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I remember visiting that mine/prison many years ago! Just as a tourist, mind you! Glad to hear it is re-opening.
    popscycle likes this.