Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They've supposedly fixed it up a bit but we'll see next month. I have been making good progress on researching the place, including the role of the old farmstead and tavern/inn across the road (shown below) when the tavern keeper was also the prison warden.

[​IMG]

It seems there was a bit of carousing and canoodling going on between the prison and the tavern and, yes, there were women prisoners.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Bit More Of The Art Fahrt: I should have said 'art ride' or, in German, Kunstfahrt; however, the mix of languages rhymed and is is a term I often use just to be different. Anyway, the picture below seemed interesting in terms of contrasts, sun vs. shade, old vs. new and implied utilitarian vs. non-usable abstraction - that plus the fact I like well-maintained old mill buildings and this one happens to also contain an artist's studio.

[​IMG]

Old architecture and new art. That's probably a better title but the ride is still an art fahrt.
    B10Dave, Bors, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  3. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Das ist ein komisches Kunstfahrt Herr Rotkopf
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hey, die Fahrt war gro├čartig - it was a great fahrt but not the art part. :D

I make it a point to go there at least once a year to see what they're showing. I keep swearing to build something and take it there to see if they'll display it, having some acquaintance with the resident artist and director. She really liked my segmented bowls but I've quite making those (sold the lathe to avoid moving cost and to help pay for the move), all of which have been sold or given away.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    B10Dave, Shaggie, zookster and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Down By The Canal: Yesterday afternoon was nearly perfect riding weather. As such, the roads to my favorite places were awash in a sea of cruiserface and look-at-me noise. So, I rode down to the Blackstone Canal for some relaxing sights and sounds.

[​IMG]

You will recall that the canal was an early 19th century waterway linking Worcester, MA, to Providence, RI and the ocean at Narragansett Bay. About 80% of the canal remains and the old tow path is now a favorite place to take a stroll or walk the dog(s).

[​IMG]

I've both canoed and fished this portion of the canal, which is the only body of water in this area where my fishing attempts yielded nothing.

[​IMG]

Also, this section of the canal runs right up (and once into) to the old Stanley Mill, shown in an 8/18 photo below, where it was a source of water power after steam trains replaced the canal boats. A little later, steam replaced water power in the mills and the canal began to decay and stagnate. In 1847 the parallel Providence and Worcester Railroad began operation and the canal closed in 1848.

[​IMG]

It was a nice ride. When I got back, I popped the top of the Miata and got Lynne out of the house and into the fresh air.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Putting The Wet In Wetlands: We had previously stated that the land behind the new carriage house (and R2's place by default) is protected wetlands that can't be developed. The other day I went past to the brook that feeds the wetlands and stopped to take a look.

[​IMG]

The brook runs into a big pond that's just around the bend in the picture below. There's a nature trail that runs along the brook and the back side of the pond. Before trees and other plants bud is the only time you can get a good picture of the waterway. Every year a pair of swans nest in the area below. As previously stated, the area is home to coyotes, deer, raptors and the usual assortment of woodland creatures.

[​IMG]

The laws protecting these areas are pretty strict and prohibit anyone from building upon or in any way building upon, tampering with or altering the protected areas. Once the house is completed, we should be able to get more decent wildlife photos.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It's Always Something: It seems as if there's always some major riding impediment every spring, whether it's an outbreak of kidney stones and related OR visits, some demanding new work thing, selling off stuff and preparing to move, or having stones from previous years blasted by lasers up the willy. This spring, the kidneys are free (of stones) but the driveway and kids' garage generally isn't. Today was a classic example. The heavens cleared, the sun came out, temps warmed up into 70s and this (with 6 vehicles in the driveway):

[​IMG]

The good news is that we've a bike that's paid for and the health and ability to ride it when things clear out. We might even get a new place to hang out some day.

Edit Note: LOL, by the time half the trucks cleared out of the driveway giving us a path out, it started pouring rain again.
  8. TT72

TT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is possible to know the location?thanks
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sure, It's at 42.597747, -72.437774 over Millers River in Erving, MA. If you go there, check out the concrete structure on the northeast side of the bridge. Also, there's another concrete foundation on the other side of road but it's back in the woods and has been recently posted.
    TT72 likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Crown and Eagle: Just when you think you've ridden by all the old mills in your area, it turns out you haven't. Such was the case the other day while riding to the Blackstone Canal. Lo and behold, I came across this classic mill structure that just screamed "Whoa horse!" I stopped and got the picture below of what I now know was the Crown and Eagle Mill.

[​IMG]

Originally two separate mill buildings, they were built by one Robert Rodgerson between 1823 and 1827. He named one the 'Crown', in honor of his parents' home (England) and the other the 'Eagle' in honor of his home country. His business failed in 1837 and the mills were purchased by the Whiten family, who probably built the connecting building over the Mumford River. Below is an earlier picture of the mill, taken from the internet.

[​IMG]

The mills were closed for good in the 1920s, burned in 1975 by arsonists and rebuilt/renovated by private investors as apartments for seniors in early the early 1990s. I didn't know this when I rode the bike to the other side of the mill and parked to get a quick picture.

[​IMG]

There was no "Private Property" sign when I first rode into the parking lot but did encounter the one above as I was about to ride over the bridge and pose the bike thereon. Instead I stopped short of the bridge, got off and took the picture below.

[​IMG]

This old mill is a classic and there's a larger story here. The builder, Robert Rogerson, built an entire mill village around this mill and a number of the associated buildings are still standing and in use today. You can see one of these buildings behind the bike in the previous picture. The village will be the subject of another ride and investigation.
  11. panzer

Oddometer:
    I enjoy seeing such sound buildings repurposed so well! Here in western NY the whole mill would be transformed into one giant brew pub (with motorcycle parking)
    Shaggie and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Vanishing Species Of Bridge: There are fewer and fewer of these to be seen. I am referring to the nearly-extinct, mill footbridge like the one below. Taken several days ago, I was pleased to see it was still standing, although blocked off and not safe to travel on.

[​IMG]

Taken last year is a picture of another blocked bridge, shown below.

[​IMG]

These bridges were the means by which mill workers crossed over the mill's water source to get to and from their jobs back when people lived in nearby mill housing and walked to work. Some of these were truss bridges, like the ones above and others were suspension bridges, like the one below in NH.

[​IMG]

The town I grew up in had two suspension bridges, like the one above, so people could get from one side of the river to the factories on the other and back. Below is a picture of that 1898 bridge, taken in 2015. The old shoe factory/mill that was just across the river (to the immediate left of the bridge) is long gone. That little town had 10 different shoe factories, not all at the same time. Thanks to shoes and those made and bought them, we were able to play on this bridge (as well as the other one), ride our scoots across and pretty much disregarded the signs (noting they forgot to add the word 'jumping' to the list of things not to do). These may be the reason I like bridges so much.

[​IMG]

Some old mill bridges looked built to carry more than just people. We're thinking the one below may have also carried railroad cars into the mill yard; however, that particular factory has a dedicated RR bridge into it. Note the size of the overhead cable/pipe.

[​IMG]

Up until last year, you could ride across this one, located at coordinates 42.385955, -72.098219. We don't know about this year.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, KMichael, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Out And About: Just a pic of a nicely restored and repurposed bank barn.

[​IMG]

Aside from other interesting structures, bridges, trains, planes, tools, machinery, forests, cars, motorcycles, etc. I like barns. Best are the old ones with post and beam construction. They were an endless source of work and fun as a kid.
    KMichael, panzer, zookster and 3 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Things Are Starting To Bud: Things are just now starting to bud and green up. Water is flowing after the ice and snow melt. Temps are moderating so you can get out and ride with out bundling/connecting (electrics) up.

[​IMG]

Soon, this picture will be all green. Spring is a happy time of year. I was so happy, I thought about riding across this RR bridge but discretion and age awareness prevailed.
    Shaggie, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Kamikaze Goose: The rain had subsided so I put down the top and took the water-spotted Miata to the grocery store around 5 PM yesterday. On the way back, a goose came out of nowhere to torpedo the windshield, shown below (iPhone photo). I was doing about 35 and the goose appeared to be flapping full-boogie when it went beak first into the glass. The bird not only cracked the glass but pushed it in somewhat before bouncing up and over the car.

[​IMG]

Such events are good reminders of the benefits of a full-face helmet when riding the bike. Had I been on the GS, this event could have gone from being mildly irritating to somewhat painful.
    KMichael and TheAdmiral like this.
  16. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    lets just hope the glass man is quicker than the carpenters
    panzer, zookster and popscycle like this.
  17. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    :fall:hair:permazot
    popscycle likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, there's good news on several fronts. First, we called the insurance company right after putting the car in the garage (preferred grocery store isn't far away), spent a few minutes on the phone with them and had the whole thing wrapped up with Safelite Autoglass confirmed to show up next Wed. As for the slow-as-snails construction pace, things have picked up a good bit in the last several weeks. Siding was finally finished. Blueboard and plaster is finished, with garage plastering being completed as the pic below was taken. Interior window trim is done. Work on front steps is close to being done (no ornamental railing yet). Hardwood flooring and tile was delivered on Thursday for installation next week. However, the really good news is that the cupola was finally installed yesterday. All of this resulted in a lot of crap being removed from inside and in front of the motorcycle bay. Yea!

[​IMG]

Latest estimated completion date is first of June.
    B10Dave, jeickerman, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  19. panzer

Oddometer:
    Does this crew get paid by the job or the hour-just curious.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It was a fixed price contract for the whole shebang, with specific amount payments made based on completion milestones (e.g. foundation, framing, roofing, siding, electrical, plumbing, insulation, B&P, flooring and carpeting, etc. ). No late penalty stuff as most contractors had enough work to avoid these. Such is the stuff of a good economy.
    B10Dave likes this.